E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange Beep From Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 05:57 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Model Year: Sep 2004
Engine: 4.4L 333BHP
Default Strange Beep From Dashboard

Afternoon All,

I am experiencing unusual noises with my Sep 2004 545i. It is making a beeping noise from somewhere behind the dash. It sounds like it is coming from the glovebox area but I cannot be sure. It has made this noise before, but a long time ago and it has been beep free for months up until yesterday. I drove for an 90mins or so with no beep. Then, on the way home, it started beeping. It also beeped again this morning when I went out in it. The beeps are random, every few minutes or so. I have discounted the hour chime because it does not sound the same. I have attached a video where you can hear the beep. The phone was laid in the open glovebox whilst recording.

Has anyone heard this noise before?

Many thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
E60 Beep.wmv (3.13 MB, 60 views)
Old 10-02-2023, 12:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: i10

This kind of sucks because it can alert a thief that you're tracking your item and they can just snatch it off and discard it. There should be a way to silence it.

Last edited by JayArras; 03-01-2024 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:42 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: E61
Model Year: 2008

Right up front, I can't play the file on a non-PC. Pretty sure I would have no idea what it is even if I could hear it based on the description... BUT!

It seems odd and out of character that some discrete module would be beeping over there. That no one has chimed in saying "it's obviously the (letter salad) module" seems like another clue. Does the car have any experience being sold by a dealer? It's VERY common for them to hack in all sorts of nonsense that beeps and causes all sorts of mischief. That would resolve both of the aforementioned observations.

To FIND this mystery device, get yourself a length tubing. If it only beeps while driving, get yourself a driver as well. Then sit in a convenient listening location, stick one end of the tube in your ear (not IN in, but... you know, in) and hold the other end in your hand in the direction you think the beep is coming from. Then you'll need to "feel" your way around for it. It sounds like you'd probably behoove yourself to do a little disassembly in advance, since the glovebox will obscure all the goodies back there. You may get lucky and see some obviously odd-box-out that looks like something a dealer monkey hacked in, and save yourself the time.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:28 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

If you are on a Mac, get the program VLC
Old 10-02-2023, 08:43 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: E61
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by twh
If you are on a Mac, get the program VLC
I'm not bothered enough to bother.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:33 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Model Year: Sep 2004
Engine: 4.4L 333BHP

Originally Posted by spectre6000
Right up front, I can't play the file on a non-PC. Pretty sure I would have no idea what it is even if I could hear it based on the description... BUT!

It seems odd and out of character that some discrete module would be beeping over there. That no one has chimed in saying "it's obviously the (letter salad) module" seems like another clue. Does the car have any experience being sold by a dealer? It's VERY common for them to hack in all sorts of nonsense that beeps and causes all sorts of mischief. That would resolve both of the aforementioned observations.

To FIND this mystery device, get yourself a length tubing. If it only beeps while driving, get yourself a driver as well. Then sit in a convenient listening location, stick one end of the tube in your ear (not IN in, but... you know, in) and hold the other end in your hand in the direction you think the beep is coming from. Then you'll need to "feel" your way around for it. It sounds like you'd probably behoove yourself to do a little disassembly in advance, since the glovebox will obscure all the goodies back there. You may get lucky and see some obviously odd-box-out that looks like something a dealer monkey hacked in, and save yourself the time.
I am the second owner of the vehicle. As far as I am aware, the car is as it left the factory apart from a tracker which was ordered with the car and a Dab module and usb charging port that I fitted. I have also changed a few features by coding.
Old 10-03-2023, 12:26 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: LCI E61 530xd allmost full now with SAT
Model Year: 2009
Engine: M57S

This does not sound like a BMW device. It is either a low battery chime from a hidden thingy or its Your tracker.

Timiboy