E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Storing songs on a USB Stick

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007 | 08:56 PM
Members

My Ride: E39 540iA Sport TiSilver/Bleack Leather NAV, PDC, DSP, Shades, CWP E60 550 6 Speed 2008 MY Euro Del (Thanksgiving 2007, Munich Germany)

Hello E60 Members,

I am picking up my 550 6MT soon at the Welt and I just purchased a 8 GB USB drive, Lexar Media, $173.00 US. Does anyone have any suggestions on which is the best software to store songs from CDs on this device. I have the usual Microsoft Player and Real Player on my computer, do I need additional software to burn these ? Any recommendations ?

Thanks for any advice,

Cheers,
Roland

Menlo Park, CA USA

PS. Does any know if the Manual Transmission Gear Shift indicator in the dashboard area can be turned on for US manual trans cars ? (Just curious to see it working..)
Old 11-02-2007 | 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Just use Windows Media Player to "RIP" songs off of the CD. You'll need to choose a format and bitrate. I'd recommend using .WMA format with at least a 192kbps bit rate. The higher the bitrate, the better the songs will sound (but most people can't tell much difference once you start to get up into the 192kbps and higher range.)

Windows Media Player will save all the newly ripped songs into directories based on artist name then album name. After that, just copy the entire artist folder to the USB media and you're done. If you have a lot of artists, I recommend making alphabetical folders based on two letters. For example, make folders named "A-B", "C-D", "E-F", "G-H", etc. That way, you can put each artist in the appropriate alphabetical folder to reduce the amount of scrolling you have to do if you're looking up music based on the drives directory structure. The car will index all the music (eventually) and provide you with lists based on album, artist, genre, and song so this directory structure is really only needed once in a while.

Good luck and enjoy your new car!
Old 11-03-2007 | 07:26 AM
Members

My Ride: E39 540iA Sport TiSilver/Bleack Leather NAV, PDC, DSP, Shades, CWP E60 550 6 Speed 2008 MY Euro Del (Thanksgiving 2007, Munich Germany)

Thanks Rudy

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='489318' date='Nov 2 2007, 11:16 PM
Just use Windows Media Player to "RIP" songs off of the CD. You'll need to choose a format and bitrate. I'd recommend using .WMA format with at least a 192kbps bit rate. The higher the bitrate, the better the songs will sound (but most people can't tell much difference once you start to get up into the 192kbps and higher range.)

Windows Media Player will save all the newly ripped songs into directories based on artist name then album name. After that, just copy the entire artist folder to the USB media and you're done. If you have a lot of artists, I recommend making alphabetical folders based on two letters. For example, make folders named "A-B", "C-D", "E-F", "G-H", etc. That way, you can put each artist in the appropriate alphabetical folder to reduce the amount of scrolling you have to do if you're looking up music based on the drives directory structure. The car will index all the music (eventually) and provide you with lists based on album, artist, genre, and song so this directory structure is really only needed once in a while.

Good luck and enjoy your new car!
Old 11-03-2007 | 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by RolandKelly' post='489298' date='Nov 2 2007, 09:56 PM
Hello E60 Members,

I am picking up my 550 6MT soon at the Welt and I just purchased a 8 GB USB drive, Lexar Media, $173.00 US. Does anyone have any suggestions on which is the best software to store songs from CDs on this device. I have the usual Microsoft Player and Real Player on my computer, do I need additional software to burn these ? Any recommendations ?

Thanks for any advice,

Cheers,
Roland

Menlo Park, CA USA

PS. Does any know if the Manual Transmission Gear Shift indicator in the dashboard area can be turned on for US manual trans cars ? (Just curious to see it working..)
Good to see you back Roland! Last time I saw you at the Bay Area meet & greet you had your previous 550! Enjoy the new one and best of luck.