E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I change my 535d?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok need your help.

I have got a Nov 05 535d sport, its got 28k on it, I have had a few problems which are in the main a mixture of warranty and design issues. I hate the gearbox(slow to engage gear at rolling starts and hangs on to gear before changing up) and it has developed a vibration at around 1500rpm to 2000rpm. The dealer has tried but failed to resolve.

I am aware that I have one year remaining on my warranty and that if I kept the car it would need extended warranty beyond the three years.

Have driven a number of LCI models and not convinced the gearbox issue is fully resolved on the diesel models, the new interior is ok, but not massively different ,the i drive is still as crap but with more buttons and I am still not sure on joystick gearstick, although its been fine on my wifes X5. The published improvement in mpg on the LCI did not make any difference on the loaners over my car and the co2 does not matter as it is not a company car.

Given the fact the facelift is so subtle, and from what I have experenced the running gear has not changed significantly is it worth changing.

The money I have lost on the three e60s is astonishing and I am not motivated to change for another e60 due too being bored with the shape and design, BMW have currently nothing in my league that excites, the 3 is to small, the 7 is about to change, the 5 I have had three, the 6 I am unsure of and got an X5, had a X3 hELP!!!!

I am aware the F10 will appear to compete with the MB E class which is out backend of next year but can I wait? And if I do who wants a new design BMW it will spend its first year in the dealer have software upgrades .

SO THE BIG QUESTION IS DO I CHANGE NOW, FOR MORE OF THE SAME OR WAIT TO SEE WHATS COMING

Please give me your views

Sorry about the long post
Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Banned

Go MB for a change in pace-they make wonderful cars despite not being as good as bimmers-their e55 is nice or many others
Old 10-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Contributors

Based on your clearly negative experience and opinion, I say go and buy a non BMW. You obviously don't like them and don't appreciate them for what they are. You say iDrive is crap, you don't like the interior or the exterior, you don't like the gearstick or the transmission... by the way the F10 is not out for around 3 years, NOT the tail end of next year...

I love the E60, and so does everybody else on this board - why else would we be on an E60 forum. You won't get many/any people agreeing with your opinion. But your opinion is your opinion... and based on your opinion, go change your car for a non BMW!!

PS, I'm on E60 number 3. I love them. My wife has the new X5. She loves it. We both think each other's cars are perfection. Go test drive some Mercs/Lexus/Audi/etc, and just get whatever you think is better than what you have at the moment!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

I don't know, I tried LCI today and it's way better then my 2005 pre-LCI at least from what I can feel! I look forward to having one in the future. I suppose it should work like this - passion. Rudy summed it pretty well, maybe you'll try other brands and be satisfied, I met a guy who bought an E39 10 years ago, had it for a month and bought Mazda Xedos 9 - he said it suits Czech roads better, it can handle bumps better and the build quality is higher. I never look back on money when buying BMW, do you count your every penny you spend on girls/good food/all other 10 thousands ways how to enjoy life?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My LCI is also a huge improvement on pre-LCI, but it all comes down to personal opinion and taste. I find it odd that somebody who hates the E60 so much is on their third one? Didn't the transmission and iDrive being crap from the first two put you off buying number three... I'm a bit confused...
Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Do not give up lymin6,

The gearbox should be a Progman issue but the vibration is a warranty one.

Change dealer and/or write to BMW UK and BMW Ag and complain!

So your wife has the new X5 so you need to go for a 630iA or something else.

The Aston Martin DB9 would be a nice change...
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Members

Hi,

Do you have to get a diesel? If you don't like your car, trade it. Life is too short. Get a 530i or perhaps V8. No diesel vibrations, smell and truck-like sound. You will get responsive acceleration and great sound... you?ll love it, trust me.

cheers.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lymin6' post='487864' date='Oct 30 2007, 05:22 PM
Ok need your help.

I have got a Nov 05 535d sport, its got 28k on it, I have had a few problems which are in the main a mixture of warranty and design issues. I hate the gearbox(slow to engage gear at rolling starts and hangs on to gear before changing up) and it has developed a vibration at around 1500rpm to 2000rpm. The dealer has tried but failed to resolve.

I am aware that I have one year remaining on my warranty and that if I kept the car it would need extended warranty beyond the three years.

Have driven a number of LCI models and not convinced the gearbox issue is fully resolved on the diesel models, the new interior is ok, but not massively different ,the i drive is still as crap but with more buttons and I am still not sure on joystick gearstick, although its been fine on my wifes X5. The published improvement in mpg on the LCI did not make any difference on the loaners over my car and the co2 does not matter as it is not a company car.

Given the fact the facelift is so subtle, and from what I have experenced the running gear has not changed significantly is it worth changing.

The money I have lost on the three e60s is astonishing and I am not motivated to change for another e60 due too being bored with the shape and design, BMW have currently nothing in my league that excites, the 3 is to small, the 7 is about to change, the 5 I have had three, the 6 I am unsure of and got an X5, had a X3 hELP!!!!

I am aware the F10 will appear to compete with the MB E class which is out backend of next year but can I wait? And if I do who wants a new design BMW it will spend its first year in the dealer have software upgrades .

SO THE BIG QUESTION IS DO I CHANGE NOW, FOR MORE OF THE SAME OR WAIT TO SEE WHATS COMING

Please give me your views

Sorry about the long post
I have a 535d Sport also 28000 miles but comming up to 3 years old at the end of the year. For what the grabbing dealers will give as a trade in i am going to keep hold of my 535, the only problem i have had is the run flats having excessive wear on the inside leading to tyre colapse.
Might even buy a little super mini for haking arround in, will avoid having doors banged into it on Asda's car park, only considering this because of the rate of depreciation, would like a X5 sd but when will BMW learn that over supply will lead to killing the goose that layed the golden egg.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Speedy 535d' post='487940
when will BMW learn that over supply will lead to killing the goose that layed the golden egg.
BMW cannot "over supply" ... they build to order, the cars are expensive, and not everybody wants or can afford one. I thought the 1 series would kill the brand. Was I wrong... !! These guys know what they are doing, and aren't going anywhere...
Old 10-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='487889' date='Oct 30 2007, 02:01 PM
Do not give up lymin6,

The gearbox should be a Progman issue but the vibration is a warranty one.

Change dealer and/or write to BMW UK and BMW Ag and complain!

So your wife has the new X5 so you need to go for a 630iA or something else.
I agree, the vibration sounds like engine mounts, felt most when the car is under max torque.?.......if it is, that's a warranty issue.
Fix the issues & see what the All New 5er has to offer.

Quick Reply: Should I change my 535d?