E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stone damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 05:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by stafli' date='Aug 20 2005, 07:10 AM
Thanks for your reply! No, it's actually 20 cm (not mm). I looked a bit on the web, and it seems there are companies (cooperating with- and supported by the insurance companies) that claim that they are able to fix cracks like this. They also say that the crack will be almost invisible and that the windshield will be as strong as it was from start.? This method is also approved by the national motor vehicle inspection.

The "reward" for repairing instead of replacing will be that the insurance excess will be apx $30 instead of $300.? That's a good argument, but is it good enough?
[snapback]161341[/snapback]
I'm afraid that your o n l y option is to get it repalced at your dealers, sorry
Old 08-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

There is no point in having the dealer replace it... because the dealer doesn't actually replace the glass.

They will call a mobile auto glass company, like SafeLite for example.

The mobile guy will go to the dealer, replace the glass, and bill your insurance. If you have the dealer do it, they might even charge you extra to pocket some cash for themselves.

Dependng on your state, your insurance may or may not charge you a deductible. I know that when I lived in SC, the state laws there require that all car insurance companies REPLACE all broken glass on any car with ZERO deductible.

I think FL is the same, because my insurance replaced my windshield for free.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Aug 20 2005, 10:50 PM
There is no point in having the dealer replace it...? because the dealer doesn't actually replace the glass.

They will call a mobile auto glass company, like SafeLite for example.

The mobile guy will go to the dealer, replace the glass, and bill your insurance.? If you have the dealer do it, they might even charge you extra to pocket some cash for themselves.

Dependng on your state, your insurance may or may not charge you a deductible.? I know that when I lived in SC, the state laws there require that all car insurance companies REPLACE all broken glass on any car with ZERO deductible.

I think FL is the same, because my insurance replaced my windshield for free.
[snapback]161525[/snapback]
Here in the Uk we get free windscreen replacement with our insurance
Old 08-22-2005, 02:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by norham' date='Aug 21 2005, 11:00 PM
Here in the Uk we get free windscreen replacement with our insurance
[snapback]161670[/snapback]
Very similar here in Singapore. However, we're only allowed to get a free replacement only once through the insurance year.

I've got quite a few small, barely noticable chips on my windscreen too. I'm waiting towards the expiry date of my current insurance to get it replaced.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Sorry to hear about your windshield, I already replaced one windshield due to stone chip. If you leave it , it will probably be ok for the summer however I see that you are from Sweden and as soon as the weather turns cold and you start to use your front defroster, chances are the crack will spread across your whole windsheild and you run the risk of it shattering. Nothing worse than picking thousands of pieces of glass from the interior of your car.

I also had a stone chip fixed on a previous car and despite what they say, you still see where the damage was and it drove me crazy. You might be best off to take the pill and have it changed.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)

Thank you all for your advices!! This is how I'll do it; I managed to figure out what company normaly doing the glass-work for my dealer. I called them and got this deal; They will try to repair the damage (tomorrow actually). If I'm not happy, they will within a year (!!! that's something !!!) completely replace the windshield for whatever the cost is for that minus what I paid for the initial repair! These guys seems serious!

They will also provide me with a free loaner (a Mini, but what the...) for the day it takes to repair (or later, for the 36 hours it takes to replace). I'll let you know how this proceeds!

I talked to a collegue with several "ex-stone-incidents" and he had very nice things to say abot this company! What the... The car won't vaporise and I won't lose anything!

(It's btw only the outer layer that has this crack)
Old 08-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by stafli' date='Aug 22 2005, 12:12 PM
Thank you all for your advices!! This is how I'll do it; I managed to figure out what company normaly doing the glass-work for my dealer. I called them and got this deal; They will try to repair the damage (tomorrow actually). If I'm not happy, they will within a year (!!! that's something !!!) completely replace the windshield for whatever the cost is for that minus what I paid for the initial repair! These guys seems serious!

They will also provide me with a free loaner (a Mini, but what the...) for the day it takes to repair (or later, for the 36 hours it takes to replace). I'll let you know how this proceeds!

I talked to a collegue with several "ex-stone-incidents" and he had very nice things to say abot this company! What the... The car won't vaporise and I won't lose anything!

(It's btw only the outer layer that has this crack)
[snapback]162071[/snapback]
are you sure it was stone damage? I had a cracked windshield before and I thought it might have been from the rocks that these stupid trucks cant hold down. However, the crack started from the left bottom corner of the windshield going up at a 45 degree angle for about 1.5 feet.

THe crack actually is due to "stress" and is covered under warranty by bmw dealerships. Only takes a day for them to put it in and let it sink in.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:48 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)

Yes! They found a small stone crater at the lower left corner (at the black part of the windshield) of the windshield. The "glass man" told me that windshields are extra sensitive in the corners and it?s typical that you get a crack when a (even small) stone hits the corner!

I've now got it fixed. The "scar" is almost invisible! Like a hair. You defenately won't see it if you don't know its there! At a certain angle, in bright sunlight you might see it more clearly, but nothing that hits you.

I was also told that there later on is a minor risk of cracking (as the crack was so big), but I would then get the "upgrade" for a completely new window.