E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stone Chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

SubterFUSE

I usually hang well back, unfortunately the guy zipped in front from a side road and before I could drop back, bingo the stone hits the car!
Were also not so fortunate as Florida on UK roads with heavy congestion particularly at peak times, the minute you leave a decent gap someone moves over from another lane or over takes in front of you.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:58 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

It might be simple for you with highways the width of the Hudson River!

In the UK it is not just the vehicles you follow that are the problem, with our narrow roads it is the stuff passing in the opposite direction that will get you.

When the gritters go out it is soul destroying to get your car splattered with grit from a grit lorry spreading both carriageways at 30mph.

Incidentally jet190rs, clear bra's are non existant over here.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

ah the gritters...

especially as they toddle along the middle lane of the motorway and everyone is thinking 'ffs' as they know they are about to be blasted with sand stones and grit at high speed.

I tend to pull back and then floor it then swerve round as far to the right as i can possible go without hitting the central reservation (and not going on the really crap part of the road full of god knows what..rusty nails?) and pray i dont get too much damage.

then the guy behind me runs the same gauntlet...

bloody winter.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='229674' date='Jan 25 2006, 06:04 PM
Small tidbit of advice.

Don't follow anyone closely on the highway. It's unsafe, to begin with.... and it leads to rock chips.

My car is well over a year old.... with 24000 miles on it... mostly highway... and I have no rock chips on my hood.

I do this by never following closely. It's quite simple, actually.
Good advice, but it does not always help the stone chips on a 2+lane highway in California. There are always cars in front and trucks to the side.

However, the 3M film does work!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Traffic in Orlando is bad.

I also spent several months in Washington DC and Baltimore, which has the 3rd worst traffic in the USA... only behind LA and San Francisco.

I still have no chips, so your "Florida has no traffic" explanation doesn't seem to hold true.

Just try it out.... if someone pulls in front of you, let them get some space ahead rather than riding their tail. Or... do what I do.... drive faster than everyone else at all times.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='229602
Kev525
Yep their the 116 wheels. When I ordered the car is was delivered with the 138 which are the Std. wheels in SE trim and they did not look as good on Mystic Blue. All long these wheels were going onto a colleagues car who had the earlier Std 16" wheels he has Titanium Silver and they look better on his car. The car was ordered with the extra set of 116 wheels which the dealer fitted one week after devilery of the car.
Mine were on the car when I had it second hand and was one of the things that really attrracted me to the car. I'd previously been looking through the options list in the brochure and really liked the look of them anyway. I couldn't believe my luck when I found the exact model I wanted with those wheels already fitted.

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='229934' date='Jan 26 2006, 04:58 PM
Late edit - Just noticed this - that'll be the reason why I havn't spotted any then.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='230390' date='Jan 27 2006, 09:08 AM
I dont think I've ever see a car over here with a clear bra. I know they are supposed to be inconspicous anyway, but I'm sure I would have noticed one by now. I never see anyone advertising them either so I'm pretty sure they're not an easily obtainable item over here.
The 3M film is available in UK but I haven't come across anyone using it. Here are a couple of suppliers:

http://www.armourfend.com/ (also in California)
http://www.nfauto.co.uk/stone_protection_film.htm

Who's going to be the guinea pig?!
Old 01-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

ClearBra definitely worth it!!!!

The L.A. freeways packed with those rock haulers suck!!! :thumbsdown:
Old 01-30-2006, 05:15 AM
Members

They do exist in UK - see my post at
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...64&#entry231864
Old 01-30-2006, 06:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 525d M Sport, Mystic Blue Adaptive Xenon's (Visibility Package), Grey Dakota Leather, Professional Navigation System, BMW Professional Radio/6 Disc CD Changer, Bluetooth Telephone Prearation, (Media Package)Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, Auto Dim Interior and Exterior (Electric Folding) Mirrors, Front Seat Heating

It might be simple for you with highways the width of the Hudson River!

In the UK it is not just the vehicles you follow that are the problem, with our narrow roads it is the stuff passing in the opposite direction that will get you.....
Took the words right out of my mouth!

Quick Reply: Stone Chips