E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stone chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have 26,000 miles..... and not one single chip.... and I check carefully for them every time I wash or wax... which is all the time.

My secret? It's no secret.... just don't follow people too closely on the roads... especially trucks. Pretty simple.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

and it helps to live in Florida where they have mostly sand! haha

unfortunately, I was cruising through the Appalachian mountains and enjoying the Sport suspension in the curves!
Old 03-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Senior Members

I drive back and forth from Washington and Michigan every 3 months and my paint is fine. Not to upset billysunshine or anyone else for that matter, but I think there are two things involved here.

1. You have a dark colored car, its garaunteed to show blemishes no matter what they are or how they were caused.
2. I think you're over exaggerating the severity of your "chips". From those pictures they almost look like the metallic flakes that are in your paint. I know it's not the metallic flake and that they are chips, but come on man, the way you made it sound I thought you had golf ball sized chips on your car. You worried the crap out of me. I thought that my car was going to flake apart any day now. Those chips look like normal rock chips to me.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Unfortunately car start to need make-up and windshield change. 40tkm in odo!! Sad quality!

SKaffa
Old 03-23-2006, 02:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

My understanding is that "soft paint" actually helps to prevent paint chips; the harder the paint the more likely it will chip. I do not think BMW paint is more inclinded to chip, but I do agree that it can be soft. My 03 M3 was Jet Black and that paint was very soft. It was one hell of a chore to keep the paint nice. My 06 550 is Titanium Silver, and so far I am impressed with the paint. But I chose silver this time because I know that I just can't see many defects, even when they are there.

At 2500 miles I am chip-free. I think it depends on driving habits, and the amount of debris on the raods you drive. I stay way away from trucks, and do not follow closely. Also a lot of my driving is in town so I may not be a great barometer.

Stone chips-img_1630_1.jpg
Old 03-23-2006, 03:27 AM
Contributors

Wink

My x mystic blue suffered same disease. She had a bunch of pimples every where ..especially on her hood!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:24 AM
Senior Members

One word - Langka.

PS: Don't take pictures of hte chips with yoru flash on, you can't really see anything...
Old 03-23-2006, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

I think it's a matter of luck. I had some bad luck to get 2 chips on the hood and a rock twice my fist that slammed the hood and my front bumper requiring thus some bodywork and a repain of the hood and bumper. So feel in a way lucky that you only got stone chips.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

I do a ton of highway driving and I only have a few chips. I guess I have been lucky. Sorry to hear about all these paint problems.

After having black on my 325i, I decided no more dark colors. At least on Silver the chips show much less.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

well one day on my way to irwindal racetrack on the 605 fwy... i was approached by 2 drift cars and pulled up in front of me... tire sizes width was 9.5 -10 just gunned it on the carpool and just sprayed my car with multiple rock chips...my fault was i was chasing them... i know chips are bound to happen...just keep your distance and stay away from truck withou flaps and low pro fat tires...ericd

Quick Reply: Stone chips