E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stone chips

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I visited two BMW dealer last week and noticed that BMW paint are orange-peel, even on M5. It's very noticable at the rear of the trunk with dark paint.
My has bunch of chips on the hood, too. I agree that the paint is too soft compared to MB's.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by norham' post='197626' date='Nov 13 2005, 10:49 AM
I have been driving on dual carriageways and motorways over the last couple of months and the bonnet and front bumper of my car ia covered in stone chips, I do not recall ever hearing one hit the car most of the driveing is at 40.50 60 mph because of traffic. I am now pissed off with this paint to the point where I'm going to get rid of the car
anybody else experience this???
It will happen on pretty much any newer car. No orange peel on my car.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Taz
Members

My Ride: I have a 2004 E60. It was registered in January 2004. It's a Black Sapphire 530i SE with a few options: - Auto-dim interior + folding exterior mirrors - Automatic gearbox - Bi-Xenon headlights - Bluetooth - Leather interior (Black-Dakota) - Navigation system - business - Service inclusive - Sport steering wheel - Star spoke 124 8Jx18"/9Jx18" + run flats - Top tint windscreen - BMW 6-CD autochanger - Supagard paint treatment - BMW carpet mats

It's a shame about those stone chips. I had the same problem on my previous car, a Porsche Boxster, and spoke to a technician about the paint and he confirmed that due to EU regulations the paint is softer than it used to be. My Boxster was riddled with stone chips in 20K miles.

However, my current car, a 530i SE (E60) has flawless paintwork. It is black and I bought it with Supagard paintwork treatment applied to it. I have covered 20K miles in it so far (all sorts of driving up and down the UK) and no a single stone chip (although I did have a stone crack my windscreen once!).

So, I tend to think that the Supagard coating must be helping to eliminate stone chips.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Members

Anyone have thoughts/experience with the Mercedes new Nano paint. After switching to water based, MB cars start to chip easily too, I suspect same reason with BMW. If MB's new Nano paint really works to protect from chips, then BMW should get on the bus too.

On the clear bra, anyone have idea how they keep after 6-7yr? Is it possible to swap them after 5yrs since the paint underneath might have bond to the bra after this time.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Members

GOOOOOOOOOOOD LUCK!!!!!

My 06 525i is only 2 1/2 months old and I have had to deal with many issues with my paint. I have posted all over this forum about my situation, and the more I follow up, the more frequent I see people reporting paint issues.

I started noticing small white spots on my hood and truck lid and on several areas of the doors. I reported this to my dealer and they inspected the car. Several of the white spots became chips.

The dealer wanted to clay the car to see if it was something on the surface.
I contacted BMW NA and informed them of the situation. They said let the dealer do what they wanted.
Well the dealer clayed the car, removed some of the spots, created 4 more chips, and destroyed my clearcoat.
My car looks like an 04 that has been washed with a scouring pad.
So... I have complained, complained so much, that BMW NA calls me very week to see what is going on.
My dealer was suppose to set an appointment with a BMW NA rep for Oct, but guess what, no call.
when BMW NA called me last week, they said try to call the service manager again to see what happened.

He won't call me back.

Bottom line, enjoy what you got, even though you paid a pretty penny.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by billysunshine' post='197838' date='Nov 13 2005, 11:56 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOD LUCK!!!!!

My 06 525i is only 2 1/2 months old and I have had to deal with many issues with my paint. I have posted all over this forum about my situation, and the more I follow up, the more frequent I see people reporting paint issues.

I started noticing small white spots on my hood and truck lid and on several areas of the doors. I reported this to my dealer and they inspected the car. Several of the white spots became chips.

The dealer wanted to clay the car to see if it was something on the surface.
I contacted BMW NA and informed them of the situation. They said let the dealer do what they wanted.
Well the dealer clayed the car, removed some of the spots, created 4 more chips, and destroyed my clearcoat.
My car looks like an 04 that has been washed with a scouring pad.
So... I have complained, complained so much, that BMW NA calls me very week to see what is going on.
My dealer was suppose to set an appointment with a BMW NA rep for Oct, but guess what, no call.
when BMW NA called me last week, they said try to call the service manager again to see what happened.

He won't call me back.

Bottom line, enjoy what you got, even though you paid a pretty penny.
Sorry to hear about your problems Billy the amazing thing is that there are some on here backing BMW on the paint isue
Old 11-14-2005, 06:05 AM
Members

[/quote]
Sorry to hear about your problems Billy the amazing thing is that there are some on here backing BMW on the paint isue
[/quote]

Thanks.

Believe it or not, BMW NA customer service has been great, so far.
They seen to have a genuine concern.
The more I read about these paint problems, the more I think BMW needs to assess their process.

My Father-in-law has an E36 , sapphire black, and other than some normal wear and tear, his paint is in excellant condition. He doesn't even have any indication of orange peel which sems to be very prominant in the newer cars.

Oh, well
Old 11-14-2005, 06:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by billysunshine' post='198037' date='Nov 14 2005, 07:05 AM
My Father-in-law has an E36 , sapphire black, and other than some normal wear and tear, his paint is in excellant condition. He doesn't even have any indication of orange peel which sems to be very prominant in the newer cars.

Oh, well
Yup my moms 14 year old E34 paint is awesome! But as for current paint blame it on your green peace party. all the enviormental friendly junk.. and then they go ahead and allow allllll these SUVs on the road to burn up the ozone layer... Go figure.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='198044

Oh, well
Yup my moms 14 year old E34 paint is awesome! But as for current paint blame it on your green peace party. all the enviormental friendly junk.. and then they go ahead and allow allllll these SUVs on the road to burn up the ozone layer... Go figure.
[/quote]

Perhaps alot of those enviornmental guys drive a SUV?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='198058
Originally Posted by billysunshine' post='198037' date='Nov 14 2005, 07:05 AM

Oh, well
Perhaps alot of those enviornmental guys drive a SUV?
[/quote]

PROBABLY! thats why they dont tax what they drive! No GGT on SUVs!!!

Quick Reply: Stone chips