E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

stereo/speaker problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just bought a 07 525 w/ premium/sport package. i've been having problems w/ my stereo...when i'm listening to cd's or the radio, the bass cuts out for a couple seconds then comes back on but you can still hear the vocals whether it is on low or high volume.

took it into the dealership for the 3rd time and they said that it was the amplifier and that it has a safety mode where when it heats up, the bass cuts in and out and it is supposed to do that. IMO, it is total B.S. they told me they were able to replicate on another 525 so i wanted to hear it for myself. they gave me the run around telling me that it would take an hour or 2 to find the 525 so they can replicate. they were prolly hoping that i would just say "f" it and just deal w/ the stereo. but i held my ground and i told them that i wanted to hear it for myself. it took them 5 minutes to find the car and me, my friend, and the service tech. sat in the car for 10 minutes listening to music that made me deaf (i dont even listen to my music that loud). and guess what, it NEVER happened.

sorry for the long story, but my question is...has this happened to your stereo system??? what should i do??? it is bugging the hell out me...
Old 11-19-2006, 03:59 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

Never had the problem, never heard of the problem and I agree with you, it is BS. Keep pushing, I think they need to replace it.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've played my L7 for hours straight pretty much maxed out and it's never cut out. (I even have a blown center speaker now.) There are fans in the amplifier that you can hear running even after you've turned of the car -- maybe you're fan isn't working so the amp is getting too hot?

Unless others chime in that this has happened to them (maybe on cars without L7) I'd make sure the dealer fixes it...
Old 10-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Members

sorry for bringing up a dead thread. But, my car is a month old and it has been to the dealer 4 times for this same problem. They were not able to duplicate the problem the first three times. It is currently at the dealer, and has been for the past 5 days. They keep contacting bmw to see what they should do to fix it, but they have not been able to find the answerto the problem.

My question is... what happened with ur situation?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 04:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by eujay' post='357857' date='Nov 19 2006, 01:58 AM
i just bought a 07 525 w/ premium/sport package. i've been having problems w/ my stereo...when i'm listening to cd's or the radio, the bass cuts out for a couple seconds then comes back on but you can still hear the vocals whether it is on low or high volume.

took it into the dealership for the 3rd time and they said that it was the amplifier and that it has a safety mode where when it heats up, the bass cuts in and out and it is supposed to do that. IMO, it is total B.S. they told me they were able to replicate on another 525 so i wanted to hear it for myself. they gave me the run around telling me that it would take an hour or 2 to find the 525 so they can replicate. they were prolly hoping that i would just say "f" it and just deal w/ the stereo. but i held my ground and i told them that i wanted to hear it for myself. it took them 5 minutes to find the car and me, my friend, and the service tech. sat in the car for 10 minutes listening to music that made me deaf (i dont even listen to my music that loud). and guess what, it NEVER happened.

sorry for the long story, but my question is...has this happened to your stereo system??? what should i do??? it is bugging the hell out me...
Thats b/s. I've been doing custom installs as a hobby for years in hot climate locations. If the bass cuts out its due to either of the following:

-You turned the volume up way loud for a long period of time and the amp fault protection circuity clipped the output to keep from overheating.
-You blew a fuse.
-You have a faulty amplifier.

I think the demonstration at BMW proved it was a faulty amp. Get knee deep in em' until they replace it.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

or you have a bad connection to the speaker.

My local dealer just replaced all my speakers and amps to correct a lesser problem. They were great about it. As long as you have their loaner, let em keep it till they decide to proactivley replace the speaker/and/or amp
Old 10-31-2007, 10:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by eujay' post='357857' date='Nov 19 2006, 08:58 AM
I have had similar episodes two times.
Both cases did occur downtown close to heavy radio traffic from companies and a harbor.

In my case the radio went dead for a second and they the sound came out at max for a second or two.
A heart attack was very close.

But after CIP 24.1 no problems.