E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny problem on e60 530i n52

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: The Sexy E60 530i
Default Tranny problem on e60 530i n52

Hi guys, i guess you must have been bored with this topic, but i want to share with you guys my problem...

I bought e60 530i m54 engine, had transmission clutch slip, replaced the clutch, error sign came on idrive, computer said to replace the mechatronics, feeling jerkiness on upshift from 2-3 and 4-5 gears, and N to R is a bit slow, so, i Bought solenoids kits from m-scope malaysia, had them replaced, and new problem arrised, N to D is jumpy, downshift from 3-2 and 2-1 is very harsed. Replaced the valve body, N to D is still jumpy (sometimes) downshift from 3-2 and 2-1 has gotten better.
Fed up with the car, sold it off N traded with e60 530i N52 engine from the same year.

While testing, everything seems fine, tranny is shifting smoothly. A couple of days later, felt the car is lurching forward while coming to a stop, upshifting is normal, N to D is normal, abit slow changing from D to R, maybe about 3 sec. R to P is abit rough. And when i was cruising at about 80-90 kph, and i floored the car, the tranny downshift maybe from 6-5 or 5-4 with quite a slam...
If just driving it normally, the upshift is fine, its just the downshift when coming to a stop thats not so good...
tranny oil was replaced In november by the previous owner, and seal adaptors are replaced too, however, the amount of money he paid to get the tranny oil replaced is seemed too cheap and makes me wonder what kind of oil and how much oil was put into it (the cost of changing tranny oil was only +/- 175usd) and in my previous e60 i spent almost 400usd to change the oil. according my trusted mechanic suggestion, is we flushed the tranny again and put new oil (400usd) and reset the adaptation...

Im really frustrated...spend a lot of money to repair the first car, i dont want to spend that much money again to repair the 2nd car...i love bmws, i think its a great car...but this problem is really putting me down. It seems to me like this is heading to another mechatronic/valvebody/solenoids problem again. What do you guys think? I havent tried the pedals reset yet. Doubt its gonna have any difference. Btw my M54 was 44.000miles and N52 had 53.000miles both from 2005, so i think its 6HP19 tranny..

Any comments and suggestions are most welcomed.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Pedal reset will not help so don't even bother.

As your mechanic suggested, replace the oil with the approved type, refill according to ZF procedure and reset transmission adaptation. This help solve my trans issue which was very similar to yours; hard down shift only from 3-2. Good luck
Old 12-24-2013, 11:49 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat

As your mechanic suggested, replace the oil with the approved type, refill according to ZF procedure and reset transmission adaptation. This help solve my trans issue which was very similar to yours; hard down shift only from 3-2. Good luck
Yes, Thats the cheapest option at the moment.
According to prev owner, he replaced it with zf oil type 6...according to my mech, the price he paid was usually the price of zf oil type 5 and usually he used for 6hp is type 7? I dont know if this is true or not...and the prev owner replaced about 7 litres, i think usually complete tranny flush needed about 12-15litres?
Old 12-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

6HP19 transmissions require ZF Lifeguard Fluid 6 and approximately 7 to 8 liters per oil change. You won't be able to completely remove all the old oil with the first change but, doing a second drain and refill will be close to a complete flush.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:14 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by Xklusiv
and makes me wonder what kind of oil and how much oil was put into it (the cost of changing tranny oil was only +/- 175usd)
I'd say they dropped the pan and replenished the trans fluid (in other words, they replaced around 4 qts of trans fluid).
Old 12-24-2013, 06:50 PM
New Members

I see...will try it first...hopefully it corrects the problem...
Old 12-29-2013, 02:06 AM
New Members

Recent update

The previous oil change in november by previous owner was a dodgy job..oil was black and dirty. Flushed the tranny with new oil and reset adaptation only help with the bang downshift at high gear (kickdown), tranny still lurch forward when coming to a stop.
Upshift still quite smooth, when changing from N to R and D to R still have a delay for about 3 seconds before the reverse gear enganged.
Any ideas guys?
Old 12-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

i have almost same problem..
i change the fluid and still have like a "metal bang right under the center console.under the car" when i press hard the gas pedal .esspecialy from 5-6. gears
lets say i cruise in D at 80mph at 2800rpm(6th gear)..then..if i have to pass fast i punch the gas pedal..and the car goes in 5th gear ,raise to lets say 6krpm..and then in 1 second change to 6th gear and goes back in 5th(this happen also on DS and on M5-M6)..((

WHAT THIS CAN BE???
i think the only answer for our problems only DEALER CAN answer..witch will cost us $$$
good luck..

Last edited by stel_i79; 12-29-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:43 PM
New Members

My Ride: 07 525i Alpine White

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat

x2 - I recently got a 2007 525i and had a transmission malfunction which was throwing it into limp mode. Took it to a really great BMW only shop and they verified there was enough fluid, reset the transmission adaptations and cleared the fault (want to was was shifting from 3-2 as well). They drove it and couldn't recreate the issue.

Knock on wood I haven't had any issues after 11k miles or so. Also as e6t lab rat mentioned the pedal reset will do nothing for the trans adaptations since they are separate 'learned' values to the car's computer
Old 12-30-2013, 12:55 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by stel_i79
i have almost same problem..
i change the fluid and still have like a "metal bang right under the center console.under the car" when i press hard the gas pedal .esspecialy from 5-6. gears
lets say i cruise in D at 80mph at 2800rpm(6th gear)..then..if i have to pass fast i punch the gas pedal..and the car goes in 5th gear ,raise to lets say 6krpm..and then in 1 second change to 6th gear and goes back in 5th(this happen also on DS and on M5-M6)..((

WHAT THIS CAN BE???
i think the only answer for our problems only DEALER CAN answer..witch will cost us $$$
good luck..
I think yours is solenoids problem...i experianced this in my previous e60 m54 engine...upshift is rough and confused at high gear. Replaced the solenoids using solenoid kit from thectsc.com solved the upshift....rough downshift solved by changing valvebody...apparently the solenoids accumulators piston has a little crack...this caused it...im guessing my current e60 n52 engine has this problem also...
The problem is that in my country its not easy to get the parts to do this repair...usually they just change the whole valvebody assy....

Quick Reply: Tranny problem on e60 530i n52