E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic users: How often do you use DS or Manu mode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 05:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by JFiRB' post='194764' date='Nov 7 2005, 03:35 PM
I just realize I have never used either the DS or Manu mode. In the E60's user manual, this in only ONE sentence for the DS mode, "DS mode is for performance-orientated driving style" (Aren't we all performance orientated, or why buy a BMW? )

Anyway, how often do you guys use it? When? Is there any pros or cons, if any?
Only use DS mode once in a while for highway passing or ....
Old 11-08-2005, 05:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fred1976' post='195043
Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='194966' date='Nov 7 2005, 11:04 PM
[quote name='donv' post='194806' date='Nov 7 2005, 01:49 PM']
[quote name='rodneyremington' post='194805' date='Nov 7 2005, 04:47 PM']
Manual shift--almost never. What's the point?

DS-- freeway onramps and passing, and when I feel like a

with a 545i, any mode is fast mode
The points to me are control over what gear I am in and, thus, better performance in straight and curved lines and better gas mileage.

You're kidding right? Hey if you like to row your own feel free but let's not pretend that you could drive a track lap any faster using the manual mode of your steptronic than you could in DS mode. And better gas mileage using manual mode? How do you figure that??
[/quote]You simply have more control in selecting the optimal gears on a track when using manual versus comfort. I am not pretending anything. How do I figure better gas mileage? I figure it by comparing the mileage I get using comfort versus the mileage I get using a combination of DS and manual--but mostly using manual. I get about 16.5 MPG using the combination and was unable to do nearly that well using comfort. Obviously, I am able to shift manually in a way that produces better gas mileage than comfort can do. But, that's not necessarily true for everyone.
[/quote]

The manual mode is as my opinion fully uninteresting as to be efficient, you have to shift the gear 1s before the time you really want the shift is made because the transmission cannot prepare itself without knowing when and even if you will shift. The only way I see a use of this is in specific conditions such as snow where you want to limit the drifts by forcing the car to shiftup. On this last point, it appears that the auto transmission can manage such conditions but I never experienced it yet.
[/quote]

well imho, if you first were to track the car, you should certainly be able to do better in M mode vs DS mode, as you could hold the gears longer and gain the high end torque power, and why you could get better gas mileage using M over DS is due to the fact that you can manually shift into 6th, but DS will not automatically go to 6th....i agree that you will have more control in manual mode

as for the second point, i personally find m mode very efficient and you have to realize that your step tranny is what they call adaptive and will eventually remember your driving style and act accordingly...i say this from my prior experience with my E46 that i had for 5 1/2 years, you will learn to anticipate your shifts and the 1s time will be reduced further to a quicker change as you use it more,...i definitely drive my tranny more like smg than an auto, but opted not for the smg option due to the unreliability....by using the m mode, you have much greater control of the car in nearly all situation
Old 11-08-2005, 06:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

D 90%
M 7%
DS 3%
Old 11-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Senior Members

D 85%
DS 15%
M 0%
Old 11-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoy the DS mode or the M mode more than D mode. However, most of the time I end up using the D mode.

Be careful not to 'dream' while you are in 'M' mode. It happened to me recently when I was totally oblivious that I was in M mode as I was playing with all the modes. After a while, I knew something was not right in my car, it was noisy and the rpm was over 6k. I was taken by surprise suddenly, when I came back to the real world from my dream . In panic, I did all sorts of things and almost got rear ended by another car at over 50mph. Only then did I realize, I was in 2nd gear all the way I started of from the signal (0 mph) to over 50mph. I forgot to change the gears :thumbsdown: .

Btw, are you all sure that DS mode does not goto the 6th gear. I tried a couple of times experimenting and everytime I found my car was in the 6th gear while I was in top speed under DS mode.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: M6 Silverstone II

D 15%
DS 0%
M 85%

With the DMS remap it would be a crime not to use M most of the time.

Hit the red line in first then it auto shifts into 2nd, then just ride the mid range torque upto 3rd and your breaking the speed limit,
168 is what i have seen AWESOME
Old 11-08-2005, 06:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by ChennaiMR' post='195126' date='Nov 8 2005, 11:27 PM
I enjoy the DS mode or the M mode more than D mode. However, most of the time I end up using the D mode.

Be careful not to 'dream' while you are in 'M' mode. It happened to me recently when I was totally oblivious that I was in M mode as I was playing with all the modes. After a while, I knew something was not right in my car, it was noisy and the rpm was over 6k. I was taken by surprise suddenly, when I came back to the real world from my dream . In panic, I did all sorts of things and almost got rear ended by another car at over 50mph. Only then did I realize, I was in 2nd gear all the way I started of from the signal (0 mph) to over 50mph. I forgot to change the gears :thumbsdown: .

Btw, are you all sure that DS mode does not goto the 6th gear. I tried a couple of times experimenting and everytime I found my car was in the 6th gear while I was in top speed under DS mode.
It really depends on how fast your top speed is.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ChennaiMR' post='195126' date='Nov 8 2005, 10:27 AM

its is true that you must pay attention as you are driving 'manually', but to me that is part of the fun , as for the 6th gear in DS, im positive in mine that it doesnt engage 6th....just do the test yourself...drive 60mph in DS and tap the lever, you should immediately see the rpms drop from over 2K idle to below 1500 in 6th
Old 11-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

D-60%
DS-20%
M-20%
Old 11-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi

For folks using 70+% manual/DS, why didn't buy a manual?

Quick Reply: Steptronic users: How often do you use DS or Manu mode?