E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic users: How often do you use DS or Manu mode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 JET BLACK on BLACK SPORTS PACK 5ER, with RADENERGIE R-10's @ 20"

D = 90%
DS= 7%
M = 3%
Old 11-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

Well, for comfort and the studip price of fuel at the moment, I use D mode of the time. Most of my journeys are on the Motorway. However I always use the manual mode to slow down the car on the slip road when exiting the motorway (when approaching the roundabout).

And I always use DS mode and floor it when I'm waiting to jump out to the roundabout
Old 11-14-2005, 05:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by donv' post='197234
Originally Posted by donv' post='196236' date='Nov 10 2005, 11:25 AM
Hi Fred:

I didn't realize I was discussing the Step with you. I assume you are out of harms way in your town. I understand what you are saying about a reference. I am unable to access the document any more, but I have it printed at home. I'll look at it tonight and try to provide the reason for my claim or, perhaps, inference.

Best to you, and CU too.

donv
Hi Again:

Fred, I now remember why I chose to believe that the S and XS maps apply to manual shifting as well as DS shifting. First, there is no logical reason why they would not apply to both. i.e., Why would BMW have two maps available and not make them available when shifting manually?

As an aside, suppose that both maps are not available for manual shifting. If not, then I would presume that the more aggresive map would be made available for manual shifting since this mode is the most performance-oriented shift-mode available.

My second reason is that the document does not actually refer to DS mode. It refers only to the sport program and to M/S rather than DS. My evidence is not the greatest, but I think all things said my conclusion is reasonable.

Fred, are you a professor or a scientist? Your thought processes imply "yes."

Best regards,

donv
Fred. Where did you go?
[/quote]

Sorry donv, but I was away -with the 5 of course- during the week end. I visited a friend near Nice, in the south of France. I had the opportunity to drive on the motorway that uses the new high bridge of Millau (viaduc) which is a very tall bridge (20m more than the eiffel tour!). Very nice.

Considering the lack of clarity you pointed out in the document, let's assume that your assertions are correct but I'm still not fully convinced as the definition I give to a map is precisely a framework indicating the GB when to switch. In Manual mode, the driver is responsible for switching and the GB only switch, as tested in extreme condition, meaning, not looking for the best performance or consumption but simply prote cting the engine... Anyway, I think, at this point, that we need more "feeding" from BMW. As soon as I got time, I will try to trigger them to have an explaination.

By the way, I'm actually scientist but not at all in the field of automotive mechanics! Well guessed.

Have a nice day.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by fred1976' post='198028
Originally Posted by donv' post='196343' date='Nov 10 2005, 03:52 PM
[quote name='donv' post='196236' date='Nov 10 2005, 11:25 AM']
Hi Fred:

I didn't realize I was discussing the Step with you. I assume you are out of harms way in your town. I understand what you are saying about a reference. I am unable to access the document any more, but I have it printed at home. I'll look at it tonight and try to provide the reason for my claim or, perhaps, inference.

Best to you, and CU too.

donv
Hi Again:

Fred, I now remember why I chose to believe that the S and XS maps apply to manual shifting as well as DS shifting. First, there is no logical reason why they would not apply to both. i.e., Why would BMW have two maps available and not make them available when shifting manually?

As an aside, suppose that both maps are not available for manual shifting. If not, then I would presume that the more aggresive map would be made available for manual shifting since this mode is the most performance-oriented shift-mode available.

My second reason is that the document does not actually refer to DS mode. It refers only to the sport program and to M/S rather than DS. My evidence is not the greatest, but I think all things said my conclusion is reasonable.

Fred, are you a professor or a scientist? Your thought processes imply "yes."

Best regards,

donv
Fred. Where did you go?
[/quote]

Sorry donv, but I was away -with the 5 of course- during the week end. I visited a friend near Nice, in the south of France. I had the opportunity to drive on the motorway that uses the new high bridge of Millau (viaduc) which is a very tall bridge (20m more than the eiffel tour!). Very nice.

We were in Nice, etc., last summer and all along the south. We visit France frequently. We haven't seen the bridge yet, but if we ever get near enough in our journeys, then we plan to drive it.

Considering the lack of clarity you pointed out in the document, let's assume that your assertions are correct but I'm still not fully convinced as the definition I give to a map is precisely a framework indicating the GB when to switch. In Manual mode, the driver is responsible for switching and the GB only switch, as tested in extreme condition, meaning, not looking for the best performance or consumption but simply prote cting the engine... Anyway, I think, at this point, that we need more "feeding" from BMW. As soon as I got time, I will try to trigger them to have an explaination.

Yes, we need more information.

By the way, I'm actually scientist but not at all in the field of automotive mechanics! Well guessed.

~{;^)

Have a nice day.

U2 Fred. CU
[/quote]