E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic-Transmission: What the Heck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 07:14 PM
[quote name='colejl' date='Oct 21 2005, 05:31 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 07:36 PM']I thought that I might be able to find some way to make use of this supposed feature--particularly someway to enhance the straight-line performance-oriented shifting of the Steptronic. But, following the instructions, I can't seem to accomplish anything useful or, as best I can determine, even make the feature work.
Put in manual - M1 for example. Pull away and tap in to M2. Then tap again and HOLD it there... Keep accelerating and as SOON as it can it will change to M3. If you just tap into M3 too early it won't change and stay in M2, even though the display will briefly flash M3... Because you have to continue holding the lever in position it's usefulness if minimal!?

Not particularly useful but it can be used for 'economical' driving where you just want to slip into the highest possible gear at the lowest possible speed...
[snapback]187137[/snapback]
[/quote]Thank you very much. Maybe the only upshift function is to get you into a given gear ASAP. I'll test what you say and post back.
[snapback]187156[/snapback]
[/quote]I tried what you said today. The procedure worked just as you said it would.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Oct 22 2005, 07:55 AM
A bit off topic and really sad but if you gauge your M mode changes just right i.e. accelerate then lift off then accelerate again you can make it sound just like a manual. I must get a life
[snapback]187260[/snapback]
Oops, you found me out
Old 10-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Oct 22 2005, 05:33 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Oct 22 2005, 07:55 AM']A bit off topic and really sad but if you gauge your M mode changes just right i.e. accelerate then lift off then accelerate again you can make it sound just like a manual. I must get a life
Oops, you found me out
[snapback]187411[/snapback]
[/quote]What you guys do is definitely a twist. I like the auto because I can fake shifting, as with a manual, and make everyone believe that I am a great power shifter.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 22 2005, 10:18 PM
What you guys do is definitely a twist. I like the auto because I can fake shifting, as with a manual, and make everyone believe that I am a great power shifter.
[snapback]187446[/snapback]
You should see how many heads turn when you downshift an SMG...it sounds like Montoya or Schumacher is behind the wheel...
Old 10-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 22 2005, 10:08 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 22 2005, 10:18 PM']What you guys do is definitely a twist. I like the auto because I can fake shifting, as with a manual, and make everyone believe that I am a great power shifter.
You should see how many heads turn when you downshift an SMG...it sounds like Montoya or Schumacher is behind the wheel...
[snapback]187458[/snapback]
[/quote]That would be fun too. I definitely can't do any rev matching tricks with my Step. Darn! Probably an SMG next time, but I like the Step.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 22 2005, 09:11 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 07:14 PM'][quote name='colejl' date='Oct 21 2005, 05:31 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 07:36 PM']I thought that I might be able to find some way to make use of this supposed feature--particularly someway to enhance the straight-line performance-oriented shifting of the Steptronic. But, following the instructions, I can't seem to accomplish anything useful or, as best I can determine, even make the feature work.
Put in manual - M1 for example. Pull away and tap in to M2. Then tap again and HOLD it there... Keep accelerating and as SOON as it can it will change to M3. If you just tap into M3 too early it won't change and stay in M2, even though the display will briefly flash M3... Because you have to continue holding the lever in position it's usefulness if minimal!?

Not particularly useful but it can be used for 'economical' driving where you just want to slip into the highest possible gear at the lowest possible speed...
[snapback]187137[/snapback]
[/quote]Thank you very much. Maybe the only upshift function is to get you into a given gear ASAP. I'll test what you say and post back.
[snapback]187156[/snapback]
[/quote]I tried what you said today. The procedure worked just as you said it would.
[snapback]187390[/snapback]
[/quote]
I use it occasionally if I'm cruising and want to save some fuel...
Old 10-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 22 2005, 08:08 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 22 2005, 10:18 PM']What you guys do is definitely a twist. I like the auto because I can fake shifting, as with a manual, and make everyone believe that I am a great power shifter.
[snapback]187458[/snapback]
[/quote]

Haha only works at slow speed chaning to 1st or 2nd.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Oct 22 2005, 05:33 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Oct 22 2005, 07:55 AM']A bit off topic and really sad but if you gauge your M mode changes just right i.e. accelerate then lift off then accelerate again you can make it sound just like a manual. I must get a life
Oops, you found me out
[/quote]

Phew! Not just me then.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 02:36 PM
Hi Friends:

I mentioned earlier that I have read the write-up on the Steptronic transmission. Towards the end of the write-up, I find the following.

"Upshift only up to the gear required
A gear can be stored by repeatedly moving the selector lever to "+" or "-" [i.e., using manual downshifting or upshifting] and then holding it in the one-touch position. The transmission management changes gear in sequence up (or down) to the required gear. The selector lever must be held in position until the required gear has been reached."

I thought that I might be able to find some way to make use of this supposed feature--particularly someway to enhance the straight-line performance-oriented shifting of the Steptronic. But, following the instructions, I can't seem to accomplish anything useful or, as best I can determine, even make the feature work.

In this regard, I am not even sure what the "one-touch position" is. This phrase not defined in the write-up or my manual. I assume that the "one-touch position" is either the position one pushes or pulls the shift lever to in order to upshift or downshift. Also, the procedure described above is not mentioned in my manual.

So, my questions are pretty obvious. First, what would one use this procedure for if he/she could get it to work? Second, how do you perform the procedure?

And, most importantly to me, assuming that one is at a dead stop in M1, does the quote above imply, for example, that one could "store" M2 by upshifting to M2 while stopped and holding the lever forward, accelerate full speed through M1 to M2, hold M2 until shortly before a rev limiter is reached (i.e., without the tranny shifting for you), shift manually into M3 and store/hold M3 until ready to shift by holding the lever forward, etc., etc. In the scenario I am describing, basically what I am wondering is if there is a way to use the procedure to allow you to hold all gears but M1 as long as you want up to the point where a rev limiter is activated rather than the point where the tranny shifts automatically for you?

Yes, I know--highly wishful thinking. Darn? Not being able to hold gears until being squelched by a rev limiter is my only real complaint with the Steptronic. I know. I should have gotten an SMG. OK, next time. I'm still happy enough with the Steptronic this time around.

I will be gone most of the afternoon. And, I'll check in later if I can't get to your replies more or less now.
[snapback]187077[/snapback]
I have been using the shift procedure noted above to downshift no farther than the desired gear and to get into the desired lower gear ASAP--as mentioned by others. I find these techniques to be very useful--particularly to get into the desired lower gear ASAP.

I also have been experimenting with upshifting the Step using the procedure. I have been using the procedure to mimic an SMG when not doing full-throttle starts.

I start in M1 with the lever held forward and then shift to M2 and hold the lever back. Subsequently, I upshift to M3 by moving the lever forward and then back--holding the back postion until ready to move to M4 the same way (M5 and M6 obtained the same way subsequently).

Using this procedure is pleasant, although I am not positive if the various gears can be held longer or not given the RPMs reached before shifting (i.e., I am not sure if the tranny would have shifted automatically before I shifted if I weren't holding forward or back, but maybe). However, t seems as though the gears can be held longer. Also, it is likely that the procedure has no real potential for faster shifting if going full throttle unless one wants to shift manually (i.e., I doubt the tranny shifts faster automatically when holding back than when not doing so). In this regard, to date, I see no benefit from shifting manually when going full throttle.

Regardless, if anyone feels like experimenting with the procedure, then I would be interested in your perceptions/observations. I think that careful study/measurement would be needed to derive definitive conclusions. Still, our collective perceptions and observations might lead us the right directions on some things.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Oct 23 2005, 02:31 AM
[quote name='cobradav' date='Oct 22 2005, 05:33 PM'][quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Oct 22 2005, 07:55 AM']A bit off topic and really sad but if you gauge your M mode changes just right i.e. accelerate then lift off then accelerate again you can make it sound just like a manual. I must get a life
Oops, you found me out
[/quote]

Phew! Not just me then.
[snapback]187525[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hahah I knew someone who does that during downshifts on a E39 540iA all the time. I that it was funny. I've tried but i havent had enough practice doing that in a steptronic.

Quick Reply: Steptronic-Transmission: What the Heck?