E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic-Transmission: What the Heck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi Friends:

I mentioned earlier that I have read the write-up on the Steptronic transmission. Towards the end of the write-up, I find the following.

"Upshift only up to the gear required
A gear can be stored by repeatedly moving the selector lever to "+" or "-" [i.e., using manual downshifting or upshifting] and then holding it in the one-touch position. The transmission management changes gear in sequence up (or down) to the required gear. The selector lever must be held in position until the required gear has been reached."

I thought that I might be able to find some way to make use of this supposed feature--particularly someway to enhance the straight-line performance-oriented shifting of the Steptronic. But, following the instructions, I can't seem to accomplish anything useful or, as best I can determine, even make the feature work.

In this regard, I am not even sure what the "one-touch position" is. This phrase not defined in the write-up or my manual. I assume that the "one-touch position" is either the position one pushes or pulls the shift lever to in order to upshift or downshift. Also, the procedure described above is not mentioned in my manual.

So, my questions are pretty obvious. First, what would one use this procedure for if he/she could get it to work? Second, how do you perform the procedure?

And, most importantly to me, assuming that one is at a dead stop in M1, does the quote above imply, for example, that one could "store" M2 by upshifting to M2 while stopped and holding the lever forward, accelerate full speed through M1 to M2, hold M2 until shortly before a rev limiter is reached (i.e., without the tranny shifting for you), shift manually into M3 and store/hold M3 until ready to shift by holding the lever forward, etc., etc. In the scenario I am describing, basically what I am wondering is if there is a way to use the procedure to allow you to hold all gears but M1 as long as you want up to the point where a rev limiter is activated rather than the point where the tranny shifts automatically for you?

Yes, I know--highly wishful thinking. Darn? Not being able to hold gears until being squelched by a rev limiter is my only real complaint with the Steptronic. I know. I should have gotten an SMG. OK, next time. I'm still happy enough with the Steptronic this time around.

I will be gone most of the afternoon. And, I'll check in later if I can't get to your replies more or less now.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 03:36 PM
Hi Friends:

I mentioned earlier that I have read the write-up on the Steptronic transmission. Towards the end of the write-up, I find the following.

A gear can be stored by repeatedly moving the selector lever to "+" or "-" [i.e., using manual downshifting or upshifting] and then holding it in the one-touch position. The transmission management changes gear in sequence up (or down) to the required gear. The selector lever must be held in position until the required gear has been reached."

I thought that I might be able to find some way to make use of this supposed feature--particularly someway to enhance the straight-line performance-oriented shifting of the Steptronic. But, following the instructions, I can't seem to accomplish anything useful or, as best I can determine, even make the feature work.

In this regard, I am not even sure what the "one-touch position" is. This phrase not defined in the write-up or my manual. I assume that the "one-touch position" is either the position one pushes or pulls the shift lever to in order to upshift or downshift. Also, the procedure described above is not mentioned in my manual.

So, my questions are pretty obvious. First, what would one use this procedure for if he/she could get it to work? Second, how do you perform the procedure?

And, most importantly to me, assuming that one is at a dead stop in M1, does the quote above imply, for example, that one could "store" M2 by upshifting to M2 while stopped and holding the lever forward, accelerate full speed through M1 to M2, hold M2 until shortly before a rev limiter is reached (i.e., without the tranny shifting for you), shift manually into M3 and store/hold M3 until ready to shift by holding the lever forward, etc., etc. In the scenario I am describing, basically what I am wondering is if there is a way to use the procedure to allow you to hold all gears but M1 as long as you want up to the point where a rev limiter is activated rather than the point where the tranny shifts automatically for you?

Yes, I know--highly wishful thinking. Darn? Not being able to hold gears until being squelched by a rev limiter is my only real complaint with the Steptronic. I know. I should have gotten an SMG. OK, next time. I'm still happy enough with the Steptronic this time around.

I will be gone most of the afternoon. And, I'll check in later if I can't get to your replies more or less now.
[snapback]187077[/snapback]
I would have thought that with "regular" manumatic shifting you should should be able to get to or near the rev limiter before either an upshift or the limiter cuts in. For that matter, if you just floor it in D .........
Old 10-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Well I think u know by now and said so perhaps in your write ups that in M/S (Manual mode) that were u to be in 6 (or 5 or 4th) that it would downshift automatically at pre-programed shift points down to as low as 3rd gear and stop there regardless of coming to complete stop. However, at any point you could press the shifter forward several times to downshift (based on where u start) all the way to 1st. If u continue to hold the shifter in place (pressed forward and retaining the number "1" or "2" depending on your choice) it will continue to downshift to the gear u are holding with the shifter based on those pre-programmed shift points. You tell how/when it is shifting based on the TACH as it will retain the gear number u are forcing by holding the shifter pressed forward in this instance and the display only shows the ultimate gear u want. I do this now and then in certain stop and go traffic. I have not tried this in upshift mode.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 07:36 PM
Put in manual - M1 for example. Pull away and tap in to M2. Then tap again and HOLD it there... Keep accelerating and as SOON as it can it will change to M3. If you just tap into M3 too early it won't change and stay in M2, even though the display will briefly flash M3... Because you have to continue holding the lever in position it's usefulness if minimal!?

Not particularly useful but it can be used for 'economical' driving where you just want to slip into the highest possible gear at the lowest possible speed...
Old 10-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Mr.PC' date='Oct 21 2005, 03:54 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 03:36 PM']Hi Friends:

[snapback]187077[/snapback]
I would have thought that with "regular" manumatic shifting you should should be able to get to or near the rev limiter before either an upshift or the limiter cuts in. For that matter, if you just floor it in D .........
[snapback]187109[/snapback]
[/quote]Truth be known, I am not sure we even have a rev limiter. If we do, then it would be some sort of fail-safe mechanism--because one can't hold any gear using "standard" Steptronic procedures. I understand about flooring my car. I am trying to figure out how to do something that probably can't be done--hold the gears until I want to shift--even if I do hit a rev limiter.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Oct 21 2005, 05:30 PM
Well I think u know by now and said so perhaps in your write ups that in M/S (Manual mode) that were u to be in 6 (or 5 or 4th) that it would downshift automatically at pre-programed shift points down to as low as 3rd gear and stop there regardless of coming to complete stop. However, at any point you could press the shifter forward several times to downshift (based on where u start) all the way to 1st.? If u continue to hold the shifter in place (pressed forward and retaining the number "1" or "2" depending on your choice) it will continue to downshift to the gear u are holding with the shifter based on those pre-programmed shift points. You tell how/when it is shifting based on the TACH as it will retain the gear number u are forcing by holding the shifter pressed forward in this instance and the display only shows the ultimate gear u want.? I do this now and then in certain stop and go traffic.? I have not tried this in upshift mode.
[snapback]187136[/snapback]
Thanks much. I understand the procedure when downshifting--the point being that one might not want to shift below, say, M4 or M2 (having bypassed M3 manually) or you might want to force a downshift to first using the tranny's shift points. Using the procedure in traffic is a good example of why one might want to use it when downshifting.

But, I am mainly hoping to apply the procedure when upshifting. Being able to do so is implied by the write-up, but I have not been able to hold a gear on the way up as I was hoping--undoubtedly unrealistically. Still, there is a chance that the Step might shift faster when attempting to apply the procedure on the way up--undoubtedly more wishful thinking. I'll post back if I think I can achieve faster shifting of the Steptronic trying to apply the procedure.

The procedure I have been trying is to select M1 and hold. I was hoping I could hold M1 at my discretion, but could not. So, next, I shift to M2 when the tranny starts to shiflt automatically (or slightly before) and hold M2 either manually shifting myself or letting the tranny shift itself. I haven't had a chance to fully test my procedure. I would be pretty happy if I could at least produce faster shifting from M1 to M2. Generally, the Step seems to do a good job of getting from M2 to M3, etc.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Oct 21 2005, 05:31 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 07:36 PM']I thought that I might be able to find some way to make use of this supposed feature--particularly someway to enhance the straight-line performance-oriented shifting of the Steptronic. But, following the instructions, I can't seem to accomplish anything useful or, as best I can determine, even make the feature work.
Put in manual - M1 for example. Pull away and tap in to M2. Then tap again and HOLD it there... Keep accelerating and as SOON as it can it will change to M3. If you just tap into M3 too early it won't change and stay in M2, even though the display will briefly flash M3... Because you have to continue holding the lever in position it's usefulness if minimal!?

Not particularly useful but it can be used for 'economical' driving where you just want to slip into the highest possible gear at the lowest possible speed...
[snapback]187137[/snapback]
[/quote]Thank you very much. Maybe the only upshift function is to get you into a given gear ASAP. I'll test what you say and post back.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

A bit off topic and really sad but if you gauge your M mode changes just right i.e. accelerate then lift off then accelerate again you can make it sound just like a manual. I must get a life
Old 10-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Oct 22 2005, 06:55 AM
A bit off topic and really sad but if you gauge your M mode changes just right i.e. accelerate then lift off then accelerate again you can make it sound just like a manual. I must get a life
[snapback]187260[/snapback]
That's a good one Merv. Way back when, a friend of mine had a fixed up 6-cyl 54 Chevrolet with long lakes plugs. We would take the windshield wiper vacuum hose off the carburetor, open the lakes plugs, and idle around shopping centers, etc. It sounded just like a big modified V-8.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 21 2005, 07:02 PM
[quote name='cobradav' date='Oct 21 2005, 05:30 PM']Well I think u know by now and said so perhaps in your write ups that in M/S (Manual mode) that were u to be in 6 (or 5 or 4th) that it would downshift automatically at pre-programed shift points down to as low as 3rd gear and stop there regardless of coming to complete stop. However, at any point you could press the shifter forward several times to downshift (based on where u start) all the way to 1st.? If u continue to hold the shifter in place (pressed forward and retaining the number "1" or "2" depending on your choice) it will continue to downshift to the gear u are holding with the shifter based on those pre-programmed shift points. You tell how/when it is shifting based on the TACH as it will retain the gear number u are forcing by holding the shifter pressed forward in this instance and the display only shows the ultimate gear u want.? I do this now and then in certain stop and go traffic.? I have not tried this in upshift mode.
[snapback]187136[/snapback]
Thanks much. I understand the procedure when downshifting--the point being that one might not want to shift below, say, M4 or M2 (having bypassed M3 manually) or you might want to force a downshift to first using the tranny's shift points. Using the procedure in traffic is a good example of why one might want to use it when downshifting.

But, I am mainly hoping to apply the procedure when upshifting. Being able to do so is implied by the write-up, but I have not been able to hold a gear on the way up as I was hoping--undoubtedly unrealistically. Still, there is a chance that the Step might shift faster when attempting to apply the procedure on the way up--undoubtedly more wishful thinking. I'll post back if I think I can achieve faster shifting of the Steptronic trying to apply the procedure.

The procedure I have been trying is to select M1 and hold. I was hoping I could hold M1 at my discretion, but could not. So, next, I shift to M2 when the tranny starts to shiflt automatically (or slightly before) and hold M2 either manually shifting myself or letting the tranny shift itself. I haven't had a chance to fully test my procedure. I would be pretty happy if I could at least produce faster shifting from M1 to M2. Generally, the Step seems to do a good job of getting from M2 to M3, etc.
[snapback]187153[/snapback]
[/quote]I tested the procedure today trying to produce faster automatic shifting from M1 to M2. I could feel no difference when using the procedure and not, but I still need to test it when shifiting manually right before the tranny shifts to M2 automatically. I doubt there will be a difference.

I also used the procedure to downshift to M1 ASAP today. This procedure could be useful for obvious reasons.

I wonder if using this procedure when wanting to go to M1 by moving form D to DS would prevent the tranny slips that sometimes occur. These slips are so rare and unpronnounced on my car that it would not be worth risking a software update to stop them. But, as mentioned, the downshift to M1 ASAP procedure might prevent the slips. I briefly tested this "theory" today and felt no slipping when moving from D to DS. I will need more observations to draw a conclusion.

Is anyone interested in experimenting with what might be gained through use of "the upshift/downshift procedure?" If you experiment with it, then let us know how you are using it and what happens. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Steptronic-Transmission: What the Heck?