E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steptronic - gyroscope?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 9 2005, 02:08 AM
[quote name='colejl' date='Apr 8 2005, 07:58 AM'][quote name='ipp' date='Apr 8 2005, 10:07 AM']I know that the E39 Steptronic had a gyroscope. It detected if you were driving uphill downhill or in a turn and adjusted the gear changing to that. Wouldn't it be strange if the E60 didn't have this?
[snapback]112824[/snapback]
True, it's interesting that the SMG doesn't!?
[snapback]112858[/snapback]
[/quote]
The SMG senses uphill and downhill using data from the wheel speed sensors (to determine road speed), the accelerator pedal position, the throttle-valve potentiometer (to determine load), and the brake light switch (to determine brake activation) in order for it to determine whether or not to shift gears while in automatic mode.

You can learn all about the SMG by clicking the following link:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2054

The steptronic detects things in a similar fashion. It detects downhill conditions precisely the same way as in the SMG (using the throttle-valve potentiometer, the wheel speed sensors, and brake light switch.)

The steptronic also detects driving uphill or trailer towing, and, interestingly, it has cornering detection so it will not downshift and cause an upset of the car's balance in a corner.

You can read much more about the Steptronic transmission by clicking the following .pdf file:
Attachment 6501
[snapback]113263[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanx for the step info.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 9 2005, 02:08 AM
The SMG senses uphill and downhill using data from the wheel speed sensors (to determine road speed), the accelerator pedal position, the throttle-valve potentiometer (to determine load), and the brake light switch (to determine brake activation) in order for it to determine whether or not to shift gears while in automatic mode.

You can learn all about the SMG by clicking the following link:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2054

The steptronic detects things in a similar fashion.? It detects downhill conditions precisely the same way as in the SMG (using the throttle-valve potentiometer, the wheel speed sensors, and brake light switch.)

The steptronic also detects driving uphill or trailer towing, and, interestingly, it has cornering detection so it will not downshift and cause an upset of the car's balance in a corner.

You can read much more about the Steptronic transmission by clicking the following .pdf file:
Attachment 6501
[snapback]113263[/snapback]
Thanx for the step info.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Apr 9 2005, 12:45 PM
[quote name='colejl' date='Apr 9 2005, 05:31 AM'][quote name='Rudy' date='Apr 9 2005, 10:08 AM']You can read much more about the Steptronic transmission by clicking the following .pdf file:
Attachment 6501
VERY interesting!

What does this mean?

Upshift only up to the gear required
A gear can be stored by repeatedly moving the selector lever to "+" or "-" and then
position. The transmission management changes gear in sequence up (or down)
selector lever must be held in position until the required gear has been reached.

It sounds like you can tap up a few gears and then hold it there - the transmission will then 'catch' up with your request like an 'automatic'?
[/quote]
I read that and it did not register until you commented. But I think you're on the right track. I'll go try that today and see what I get.
[/quote]
I tried it... It does what it says!

If you doing, say 40mph and then tap up from M4 to M6 and hold the last gear it shifts for you until you hit that gear. If you let go too earlier it keeps the current gear, i.e. M4 to M5.

Can't see a great use of it myself? If you're giving it some welly then you don't want to keep you hand on the shift stick???

Anyone?