E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steptronic - gyroscope?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Analogs' date='Apr 7 2005, 11:24 PM
[quote name='colejl' date='Jan 11 2005, 12:49 PM']Simple question - does the steptronic box know whether the car is going up or down a hill?? I suspect there's an electronic gyroscope that is used to affect the gear changing...

Anyone confirm either way???
[snapback]78127[/snapback]
This being my business - the car does have a single axis gyro for the DSC (DTC 2005 on) - it also incorporates a tilt sensor for theft protection - the gyro(gives angular velocity ?/sec) is a single axis unit for a left/right versus steering input for calculating response to loss of lateral control - corrects through uses of opposite angle braking. The transmission uses load, and tilt sensor to determine anguilar ascend/descend. Secondarily they use a pressure sensor in the intake manifold to claculate approximate fuel for elevation loading.

java script:emoticon('')
[snapback]112758[/snapback]
[/quote]

Can you tell me why the 330i/530i tranny is so much smoother than the 545?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

Originally Posted by Analogs' date='Apr 8 2005, 07:24 AM
[quote name='colejl' date='Jan 11 2005, 12:49 PM']Simple question - does the steptronic box know whether the car is going up or down a hill?? I suspect there's an electronic gyroscope that is used to affect the gear changing...

This being my business - the car does have a single axis gyro for the DSC (DTC 2005 on) - it also incorporates a tilt sensor for theft protection - the gyro(gives angular velocity ?/sec) is a single axis unit for a left/right versus steering input for calculating response to loss of lateral control - corrects through uses of opposite angle braking. The transmission uses load, and tilt sensor to determine anguilar ascend/descend. Secondarily they use a pressure sensor in the intake manifold to claculate approximate fuel for elevation loading.

[snapback]112758[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, you seem to be informed...
How you get this information?
Old 04-08-2005, 02:07 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I know that the E39 Steptronic had a gyroscope. It detected if you were driving uphill downhill or in a turn and adjusted the gear changing to that. Wouldn't it be strange if the E60 didn't have this?
Old 04-08-2005, 02:48 AM
Members

I've noticed the steptronic box gear braking going down steep hills. Usually it happens when i have my foot on the brake but i'm not slowing down, that car then changes down automatically.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Apr 8 2005, 10:07 AM
I know that the E39 Steptronic had a gyroscope. It detected if you were driving uphill downhill or in a turn and adjusted the gear changing to that. Wouldn't it be strange if the E60 didn't have this?
[snapback]112824[/snapback]
True, it's interesting that the SMG doesn't!?
Old 04-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i ordered - built 1/05 - arrived 3/16/05 . Silver Gray - Biege Interior. Sports Package, Steptronics, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package, Rear Fold Down Seats, Sat Radio. Mods: Seatback Hangar, Trunk Net, Umbrella.

Originally Posted by garehaan' date='Apr 8 2005, 02:14 AM
[quote name='Analogs' date='Apr 8 2005, 07:24 AM'][quote name='colejl' date='Jan 11 2005, 12:49 PM']Simple question - does the steptronic box know whether the car is going up or down a hill?? I suspect there's an electronic gyroscope that is used to affect the gear changing...

Well, you seem to be informed...
How you get this information?
[snapback]112778[/snapback]

I market sensors for a living - some on the E60. Gyros give angular velocity - angle sensors use gravity as a reference vector(a 45? tilt is .707 (70.7% OF G- cosine value) - dc accelerometers the same. The transmission mostly has tilt input from a dieletrically conductive fluid between two plates forming a varying capacitor to detect angle. Load (torque sensor) is used to reinforce this measurement, i.e., uphill takes more force at certain speed and gear to move the car, additonal a pressure sensor can detect elevation climb and GPS as well can contribute. [/quote]
Old 04-09-2005, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Apr 8 2005, 07:58 AM
[quote name='ipp' date='Apr 8 2005, 10:07 AM']I know that the E39 Steptronic had a gyroscope. It detected if you were driving uphill downhill or in a turn and adjusted the gear changing to that. Wouldn't it be strange if the E60 didn't have this?
[snapback]112858[/snapback]
[/quote]
The SMG senses uphill and downhill using data from the wheel speed sensors (to determine road speed), the accelerator pedal position, the throttle-valve potentiometer (to determine load), and the brake light switch (to determine brake activation) in order for it to determine whether or not to shift gears while in automatic mode.

You can learn all about the SMG by clicking the following link:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2054

The steptronic detects things in a similar fashion. It detects downhill conditions precisely the same way as in the SMG (using the throttle-valve potentiometer, the wheel speed sensors, and brake light switch.)

The steptronic also detects driving uphill or trailer towing, and, interestingly, it has cornering detection so it will not downshift and cause an upset of the car's balance in a corner.

You can read much more about the Steptronic transmission by clicking the following .pdf file:
SBT__6_speed_automatic_transmission_E60_E53.pdf
Old 04-09-2005, 03:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 9 2005, 04:08 AM
[quote name='colejl' date='Apr 8 2005, 07:58 AM'][quote name='ipp' date='Apr 8 2005, 10:07 AM']I know that the E39 Steptronic had a gyroscope. It detected if you were driving uphill downhill or in a turn and adjusted the gear changing to that. Wouldn't it be strange if the E60 didn't have this?
[snapback]112858[/snapback]
[/quote]
The SMG senses uphill and downhill using data from the wheel speed sensors (to determine road speed), the accelerator pedal position, the throttle-valve potentiometer (to determine load), and the brake light switch (to determine brake activation) in order for it to determine whether or not to shift gears while in automatic mode.

You can learn all about the SMG by clicking the following link:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2054

The steptronic detects things in a similar fashion. It detects downhill conditions precisely the same way as in the SMG (using the throttle-valve potentiometer, the wheel speed sensors, and brake light switch.)

The steptronic also detects driving uphill or trailer towing, and, interestingly, it has cornering detection so it will not downshift and cause an upset of the car's balance in a corner.

You can read much more about the Steptronic transmission by clicking the following .pdf file:
Attachment 6501
[snapback]113263[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks for Step info. The 26Z is also used on the E63. I guess this may have been published before its inclusion on the 6 series or are there some possible differences in implementation? Also I am not up on my codes. What BMW model is an E53?
Old 04-09-2005, 03:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 9 2005, 10:08 AM
Attachment 6501
VERY interesting!

What does this mean?

Upshift only up to the gear required
A gear can be stored by repeatedly moving the selector lever to "+" or "-" and then
position. The transmission management changes gear in sequence up (or down)
selector lever must be held in position until the required gear has been reached.

It sounds like you can tap up a few gears and then hold it there - the transmission will then 'catch' up with your request like an 'automatic'?
Old 04-09-2005, 04:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Apr 9 2005, 05:31 AM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Apr 9 2005, 10:08 AM']You can read much more about the Steptronic transmission by clicking the following .pdf file:
Attachment 6501
VERY interesting!

What does this mean?

Upshift only up to the gear required
A gear can be stored by repeatedly moving the selector lever to "+" or "-" and then
position. The transmission management changes gear in sequence up (or down)
selector lever must be held in position until the required gear has been reached.

It sounds like you can tap up a few gears and then hold it there - the transmission will then 'catch' up with your request like an 'automatic'?
[snapback]113286[/snapback]
[/quote]
I read that and it did not register until you commented. But I think you're on the right track. I'll go try that today and see what I get.

Quick Reply: Steptronic - gyroscope?