E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel tilt stopped working.. only wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 04:08 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530XI, CIC/Combox/TPMS Retrofit (CCC M-ASK Orig)
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Are you using ISTA D/P to do the troubleshooting and programming?
I'm not no - I'm researching online and doing coding with standard tools (INPA/NCS/WINKFP/TOOL32). I do have an ICOM clone that works well.

Is it Rheingold I should be using? Are you suggesting this because it comes with all manner of diagrams and such? I hesitated to install it so as not to confuse myself and becuase of the extraordinary disk space it required (I was planning to dual-boot my laptop, but I'll have to dedicate it to windows/bmw-tools if I want to install ISTA). I ask about Rheingold because I did download it and have a guide for installation but I noticed there are newer versions, but the sense I"m getting is that newer versions are ISTA+ which would be useless for my E60?

Last edited by kirvedx; 10-07-2021 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Added quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:29 PM
New Members

I did also default code the SZM and confirmed the settings through NCS Dummy:

Code:
KONF_SHT_MEMORISE
stufe_speichern
EINSTIEGSHILFE_HOEHE
aktiv
TYP_SITVERSTELLSCHALTER
sitze_elektrisch
KONF_SM_CKM_FREIGABE
konfiguration_gesperrt
KONF_RPA_ON_CAN
kein_rpa_on_can
Old 10-07-2021, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

You don't have to dedicate the laptop to ISTA D/P. You can run it off an external which for me was the best course of action since I have a dedicated surface pro running all the programs for E,F and G series. I actually use an SD card so I don't have to carry around an external HDD.

ISTA is the best program to use all though initially I learned how to code and troubleshoot through previous released programs. Since using ISTA the only other program I use is Esys (F and G series). I would recommend installing it to try it out. It makes things a little easier when you're stomped with a problem.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:53 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT

You can also run it in a virtual machine....that's what I do on my Intel based Mac using VmWare Fusion.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:38 AM
New Members

You don't have to dedicate the laptop to ISTA D/P. You can run it off an external which for me was the best course of action since I have a dedicated surface pro running all the programs for E,F and G series. I actually use an SD card so I don't have to carry around an external HDD.

ISTA is the best program to use all though initially I learned how to code and troubleshoot through previous released programs. Since using ISTA the only other program I use is Esys (F and G series). I would recommend installing it to try it out. It makes things a little easier when you're stomped with a problem.

I don't have an external hard disk and so I'd have to dedicate the internal to windows to give it anymore space. I'd just have to expand the partition to encompass the whole drive - the idea being I was going to boot debian on the free space. This laptop is entirely for tinkering with cars, and I'd like to keep it as contained as I can if at all possible without having to put anymore money into the setup (so I can continue to say it was dirt cheap and cost-effective). I do have a free 256gb microsd and the machine does have a slot for it; that bit of your comment did actually remind me I had that very portable option so thank you for that.

I'm a software engineer and worked in IT for many years prior; I definitely overthink things at times, more especially when I have my mind set on something specific.

Though I was hoping someone else had already done this (I've seen a few people mention they have, just never indicate what pins they jumped), and might be able to save me the trouble for this particular thing - I'll go the ISTA route in absence of any replies to that end and see if I can make any sense of any diagram I can find and not blow anything up in the process

Thank you.

Last edited by kirvedx; 10-08-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:04 AM
New Members

So I installed:
  • ISTA-D 4.15.16, and
  • ISTA-P 3.66.0.200
The torrent I used is rather well-known and it came with everything needed. Ironically my partitions werent adjacent so I ended up with 2 256-ish GB partitions which made installation sort-of a pain in the a$$; I did get it sorted though.

Long before I even bothered making the act of installing everything work I did simply get ISTA-D installed and running and had been long-since digging into it. I managed to get the vehicle information read out, and then created a fault pattern of the steering - but not quite sure now how to leverage that to calculate a service plan that gives me anything. I did, while digging through options and tabs, find the wiring diagrams. The software is intuitive enough from an engineering perspective (software and mechanical).

I'll attach the printed out document, not quite sure how to decipher it well enough to know what pins to jump, but it's a start. I found another place in the car consequently that seems to indicate I might be able to emulate signals from the hall effect sensor(s) - which is what I believe the culprit to be.

On another note, I am mind-blown with the number of faults in memory (76), and even more so at the mileage the car seems to have (the used kombi says 236k, but ISTA-D seems to think some of these faults happened around 524k!!). The car does not seem to have so many miles, at least its in such good shape I find it hard to believe... I wonder if that could somehow be misrepresented but I really just don't know if used parts storing faults at the mileage they were at in whatever vehicle they were in at the time is what the 524k is; this would mean though that the used kombi seems to be displaying my true mileage (maybe because it had lower mileage in the car it is from?). I seem to recall someone saying that if you put in a used kombi with a lower mileage than your DME/CAS the car will choose to display the mileage from the DME/CAS (or rather, the higher mileage).

The car shows 236k, but some of these faults show 524k. Insane.

Anyways, the diagram(s) (wiring of steering wheel adjustment motor and glove-box center console switch center pinout) attached.

Wiring Diagram
Old 10-09-2021, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

In ISTA it will show in km only but it's still off. In your pics it shows the mileage correctly

Last edited by seanjordan20; 10-09-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:13 PM
New Members

In ISTA it will show in km only but it's still off. In you pics it shows the mileage correctly
Well that is a good piece of information right there. The conversion makes it roughly 325k miles then. It was nothing I would have gathered because the heading for the column was 'mileage'.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
fault-memory-list.pdf (325.3 KB, 90 views)