E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel tilt not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by b00sted415
I checked fuses everything was in working order. The problem is the actual steering column and adjuster motor. For now I asked the dealer to adjust it manually, maybe in the future I'll get this fixed.
I was going to suggest you do that yesterday but I guess I forgot to write it. Same goes for seat motors and so forth. is there anything in a BMW that is isn't motorized?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by H F
I had the steering column replaced under waranty . but my new column (3 yrs old now) made a sqeeking noise.. but getting to The point as i was greasing the column i was moving it up and down. Then.. it stoppeed workin.. I was like oh shit !! thought i burned the motor. but after a few minutes it reset then all was good...Maybe u need to grease the column cause the original grease is dried out .. possibly putting strain on the motor as its goen up and down...and its getting hot.. Did the column ever reset after letting it sit for a bit... ??
I don't think grease dries out, it's just that the grease ends up with contaminants (sand, dust etc) if not kept sealed properly
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
H F
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I don't think grease dries out, it's just that the grease ends up with contaminants (sand, dust etc) if not kept sealed properly
the column up and down movement,, funtions on two allthread rods that spin in a plastic type nut . if u take out bottom plastic cover and look underneath at the column mechanism u'll see the two alltreads and the dry grease on them,,, they are not sealed.. u can actually grease the allthreads,, it took the sqeek out of the movement as it goes up and down...on my car,,,. just not sure if thats op's problem
Old 02-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

Originally Posted by H F
the column up and down movement,, funtions on two allthread rods that spin in a plastic type nut . if u take out bottom plastic cover and look underneath at the column mechanism u'll see the two alltreads and the dry grease on them,,, they are not sealed.. u can actually grease the allthreads,, it took the sqeek out of the movement as it goes up and down...on my car,,,. just not sure if thats op's problem
There was actually no squeak or sound prior to the steering tilt not being able to go up or down. That one day I got into the car, put the key in, pressed the start button and the steering tilt made a horrible grinding noise coming down. I was thinking what the hell is that horrible noise coming from the steering column. I drove to my destination, when I pulled the key it made that horrible noise again going up and that's where it stayed. I decided to take to the stealership after I checked the fuses to make sure it wasn't just a fuse or something.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:28 PM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by b00sted415
There was actually no squeak or sound prior to the steering tilt not being able to go up or down. That one day I got into the car, put the key in, pressed the start button and the steering tilt made a horrible grinding noise coming down. I was thinking what the hell is that horrible noise coming from the steering column. I drove to my destination, when I pulled the key it made that horrible noise again going up and that's where it stayed. I decided to take to the stealership after I checked the fuses to make sure it wasn't just a fuse or something.
take that plastic cover off the bottom of the column and look in there at the mechanism and see if any thing looks like its broken.. like the little pins that hold the plactic linkage conectors together somethin broke under there and is jaming it up...it could even be the plastic gear that stripped,,, on the motor shaft that turns the allthread..look in there and check it out...
Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by H F
yes it is the same motor mechanism on the seats. the seats have 4-5 of these. Should be a white lithium grease and it shouldn't be dry.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
yes it is the same motor mechanism on the seats. the seats have 4-5 of these. Should be a white lithium grease and it shouldn't be dry.
your right ! it is the same deal.. since boosted said he heard a grinding noise goen down then back up... im thinking its possible that the gear that turns the allthread off the motor.. spun its teeth ( thats the grinding noise maybe )

bOOsted,,,,, try turning on the car,, or just the key on,,, while u look under the dash at the mechanism to see if u can see the motor turn the little gear... and look for broken teeth on the gear.. and also if the motor is actually working... .If the motor is not,, then get a pointy probe tester and check the powr wire goen to the motor and see if u have power at the motor.. by pushing the little up and down switch on the side of the column .. Three things make the column mechanism go up and down... Power, the motor and the gear. So process of elimination,,,, check fuses,, power wire at the motor. and the gear condition.. check that stuff out . and let us know ur findings
Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

Originally Posted by H F
your right ! it is the same deal.. since boosted said he heard a grinding noise goen down then back up... im thinking its possible that the gear that turns the allthread off the motor.. spun its teeth ( thats the grinding noise maybe )

bOOsted,,,,, try turning on the car,, or just the key on,,, while u look under the dash at the mechanism to see if u can see the motor turn the little gear... and look for broken teeth on the gear.. and also if the motor is actually working... .If the motor is not,, then get a pointy probe tester and check the powr wire goen to the motor and see if u have power at the motor.. by pushing the little up and down switch on the side of the column .. Three things make the column mechanism go up and down... Power, the motor and the gear. So process of elimination,,,, check fuses,, power wire at the motor. and the gear condition.. check that stuff out . and let us know ur findings
I thought I had posted what actually was diagnosed I guess not. The dealership informed me that the adjuster motor stopped working and will need to get replaced. Also the steering column was faulty and that also needs to get replaced. I'll check my invoice to see exactly what is faulty about the steering column and post back.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 PM
New Members

Guys i took my 2008 550i m sport in to my dealership today same problem i understand this is a common problem on these cars and it is the that the whole steering column has to be replace i took mine in 3000.00 let me tell you guy my factory warranty had run out about a month ago let me tell you guy looking to purchase third-party warranties route 66 there unreal paid bmw to fix it all i paid not a dime first time i have used it my service writer said they where a great third party warrantie co. can't go wrong buy there warrantie