E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering wheel "THUNK," not grind, vids inside. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, Will go out and try that Grease stuff, hoping it helps! (also going to tighten some of the bolts)
Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,

I'm having this same issue and am trying to lubricate the indicated location on the steering column with white lithium grease / spray.

Question regarding lower trim removal ( above the brake / gas pedals ):
I've removed the carpeted strip as well as the 4 philip screws from the lower trim housing. As per the russian translated instructions on lower trim removal, I know there are two clips holding the front in place. However, as hard as I pull downwards, it's not coming loose.

Can anyone help clarify the procedure for this trim removal? I'm just trying not to break anything.

Thanks,
Mark

[Edit] Ok, figured it out; I only had to pull downwards on the left edge edge; the clip released and the other side came free easily. I pretty much lubed all the wrong areas... After reviewing the source image posted earlier in this thread, I guess I'm supposed to lube the inside of the black rubber surrounding the steel column.

Last edited by peachykonan; 01-22-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 01-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Members

Just wanted to report back - I've lubed the steering shaft from inside the car and the u-joint in the engine compartment (just point and spray) w/ white lithium grease. The lower footwell trim is still off while I examine progress.

Before lube - very noticable clunking (can be felt and heard) when turning left OR right.
1st day - Initial lube: u-joint in engine compartment, u-joint in the car interior, upper shaft retainer (which seems to guide the steering column during extension), and the rubber seals around the firewall. No change in clunking / noises. Very discouraged.
2nd day - Drastic improvement. Turning the wheel left no longer clunks. Turning right there's still a slight clunk. Lubricated a few parts again today.
3rd day - Steering seems silkier. Turning right no longer clunks. However, I still encounter a faint 'tuk' noise every so often. Probably a 90% improvement overall.

Last edited by peachykonan; 01-25-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i. sports package :]

Originally Posted by bymer
hey guys, i actually have the EXACT same freaking problem currently. But mine seems just a tiny bit more severe (in terms of popping noise.) Should I inspect anything and apply that spray grease to those areas in the picture? I topped off PS fluid, changed stabil bar links, control arms, does not help. What kind of grease is recommended?

(Also, not to hijack this thread, sorry about that, but connected to the steering wheel noise, when I am exiting the driveway or entering or going over a bump at specific angles, The wheels are very stiff and could create a knocking noise sort of as if they are loose or not secure with the car feeling.) What could that be? I was thinking strut but not sure.

Thanks so much!
Bymer, I get the same issue where you hear a THUNK or a THUD when leaving my driveway or going over bumps. Did you find out how to fix this?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Members

Going to try and tackle this problem tonight by disassembly of the underneath of the steering and applying grease. I'll see if it fixes anything. ( I also replaced my struts, no improvement)
Old 08-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Members

I've only needed to relubricate once since my last posting. You must lift the plastic/rubber surrounding the steering column and direct the stream inwards. If you do this right, you'll feel an improvement immediately.