E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

steering wheel noise again

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014 | 05:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D Touring MSport Navi professional, HUD, bicolour leather sport seats, BT integrated, automatic transmission, panorama roof.
Model Year: 2006
Unhappy steering wheel noise again

I have a 2006 E61 530D with servotronic steering. A couple of years ago I started to hear a squeaking sound from the steering wheel. Googling the problem suggested replacement of the steering rack, but I landed on flushing the power steering fluid. Did this the summer 2012, and the noise disappeared.

Drove the car through the winter, but in the spring 2013 the sound came back. The fall of 2014 I decided to change the steering rack,and did the work myself. I am used to do all mechanic work myself, have done this all my life, so I wasnt afraid of starting what I would describe as a major task.

The engine has to be lifted, and the front beam has to be lowered. took me an entire saturday and some of the sunday to complete it. This was done in November, and I have driven the car through the winter. In March the noise reappeared, and I am wondering if it is the steering rack again. There is a slight difference this time, there is another noise that is coming if i turn the wheel to approx 75% and then suddenly change direction. It almost sounds like it is some sort of starvation, and it is difficult for me, not speaking english natively, to describe it in a proper way. It is like a vibration and the sound associated with that. There are no clunking sounds. I can reproduce it.

I have been thinking that maybe it has nothing to do with the steering rack, but maybe the fluid. I changed of course the fluid, when changing the rack. The car has done 4000km after the change and it is about four months between change and the first symptoms. I find this really bizarre though, to change the fluid twice every year.

So what can it be, a new steering rack, a steering pump or something else? I have changed everything in the front suspension except the wheel bearing and the strut tower bearings, trying to get rid of another vibration. Have ordered these bearing now, and will change them as soon as they arrive. I have suspicions against the tower mounts, but then again, It cant be that?

I have warranty on the steering rack until the end of this month, but I am not prepared to buy a new steering pump to eliminate this. The sound will probably be gone a couple of months up to half a year anyway. I am also not sure if I am up to changing the rack one more time, although it will be easier this time.