E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to get upset with car's antics/problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the 545i. I really do... generally trouble free. However, I've noticed a progressive worsening of the following. if anyone has any info, pass it on over:

1. Engine seems like it is going to stall at times, but doesn't. it has twice, but when new.
2. driver seat - off a start, or at the end of braking, seat shimmy's (moves) a bit. a small bit, but it moves.. it slides forward and back a fraction..
3. wish they would fix the darn radio coming on EVERY time i start the car.
4. sometimes, when i hit the gas, and i mean HIT THE GAS, it pauses then jerks hard. this is usually at slower speeds, or from a stop, not so much while cruising.
5. have to hit the remote trunk opener 3 or 4 times to get it to open.
6. This one is a big surprise... it always feels like the car wanders all over the place.. i find myself having to adjust the steering very very often.. not at all like my E39 sport, which was solid as a rock. anyone else on this?

thats the biggies for now... more to come.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:08 PM

I have a 2004 545i and I have only experienced the radio coming on all the time and none of the other issues you raise. However, my car is in for the emissions recall and if the iDrive is upgraded, I may experience some of these other problems....
Old 01-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Jan 19 2005, 06:56 PM
I love the 545i. I really do... generally trouble free. However, I've noticed a progressive worsening of the following.? if anyone has any info, pass it on over:

1.? Engine seems like it is going to stall at times, but doesn't. it has twice, but when new.
2.? driver seat - off a start, or at the end of braking, seat shimmy's (moves) a bit.? a small bit, but it moves.. it slides forward and back a fraction..
3.? wish they would fix the darn radio coming on EVERY time i start the car.
4.? sometimes, when i hit the gas, and i mean HIT THE GAS, it pauses then jerks hard.? this is usually at slower speeds, or from a stop, not so much while cruising.
5.? have to hit the remote trunk opener 3 or 4 times to get it to open.
6.? This one is a big surprise... it always feels like the car wanders all over the place.. i find myself having to adjust the steering very very often.. not at all like my E39 sport, which was solid as a rock.? anyone else on this?

thats the biggies for now... more to come.
[snapback]80976[/snapback]
1. Do you mean kinda like a rough idle situation? I dont have it on my car but just wondering...

2. Dont have that either... have the dealer replace the seat or check if all the screws are tight.

3. That doesnt bother me as much as the AC turning on all the time! WE SHOULD be able to contol whats on and whats off!!

4. I have SMG and I havent tried it yet... still in break in.

5. Ummm not a problem for me either for the most part. I just hold the button for 2 seconds and then let go and it opens fine 8/10 times

6. It should be rock solid... shouldnt wander... I would get a software update as I read before that it stifened the active steering quite a bit. ALTHOUGH that was for slow speeds... it might have some affect at high speeds also. THAT and also check the balance of the tires and torque of lug nuts... its a stretch but its good to check.
How about tire pressure? Up it a bit and see how it drives.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

Join the club, Wassy. The trunk problem can be remedied by holding the button down for a long second. The wandering is probably the runflats. The seat moving problem is in the car somewhere. Mine does it too. The engine/transmission jerk is who knows what.

What about the rattles and the "ticking" sound after a cold start? Sounds like a Model T? Squeaking windows and doors? Thumping back seat?

It's a great car. It really is. However, I've never had one so annoyinng, and if you bitched about everything, you'd be bitching all day long. Just run the living shit out of it and sell it at 49,000 miles.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' date='Jan 19 2005, 08:33 PM
What ... and the "ticking" sound after a cold start?? ? Sounds like a Model T?? ? ? .
[snapback]80985[/snapback]

Your's too? I was told the ticking is th electronic thermostat control for the radiator.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Senior Members

Whatever it is, it's annoying. I just turn up the radio and punch it. Do the standing quarter mile on my way to work. That seems to help.

When chicks say: "What's ticking?," I distract them by yelling: "I have ants in my pants, and I want to dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

It's an easy fix, Jimbo.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

The wandering is probably the runflats.
I agree. I just removed the runflats last month and the wandering problem disappeared.

Nick
Old 01-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Members

My Ride: Born Date 9, 1 2004. 2005 530i, silver gray, steptronic, nav, Adaptive xenon, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, Euro rear reflector. MP3 Enabled

I guess I should park my garage in cold days..
I have rattle noise on cold start.. sounds just like diesel car..
My friends are make fun of that car with diesel noise..
Old 01-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Members

The ticking noise from cold start might be caused by a bad A/C compressor. Trying turning off the A/C to see if the noise goes away. My A/C compressor was replaced. No more ticking noise in the morning.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Members

Well since we are talking about annoyances... How about the fact that I've taken the car in twice for squeaky brakes and the anti-trap mechanism for the windows causing them to not go up all the way.

Quick Reply: Starting to get upset with car's antics/problems