E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Standard A/C looks cheap

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Please see signature

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' post='234339
Having driven my E60 since November, I'd say that it seems to work fine, and is actually very simple to use, with just one rotary control for the temperature (which I leave midway between 18 and 22), and another for the fan (which I mostly leave on 1, but crank up to 3 to de-mist).
No offence intended ,but I think your vintage software in description prevents the standard aircon working properly. My vintage software worked like yours. After upgrade it works as it should with proper auto mode, the auto speeds up the fan until desired temp is reached then slows to maintain the temp, like my old 3 series did & as you would expect auto to work!. In auto the fan speed dial is redundant..
[/quote]
Thanks BMWJIMT. I did wonder if I was missing something by still running the old software, and this gives me a good reason to push my dealer for an upgrade.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='233648
I did not care for the look, but I opted the extended AC worth all the $$$

Where are u from?

and congrats!
From North of England - guess I need to get the car and add some photos. Worked out a ?10/month more for the extended aircon - I will do it!!!

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='233643' date='Feb 2 2006, 08:18 PM
I have never seen standard one, but I heard it works well.
Your Silver looks great. Am I making a mistake getting Silver Grey - still got time to change!
[/quote]

Welcome to another Northerner....
Old 02-05-2006, 04:02 AM
Senior Members

Go advanced.

You get the solar sensor and the mist sensor as well. These are not gimmicky at all.

I have never had climate control in a car that is as "set-and-forget" as the advanced a/c system.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by browellm' post='235092' date='Feb 5 2006, 03:02 PM
Go advanced.

[...] You get the solar sensor and the mist sensor as well. [...]
I've advanced. What's the mist sensor and how is it working?
Old 02-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Members

My Ride: Standard 530d M-Sport Auto. Titanium Silver. Black interior. Business Audio. Rear spoiler.

I just got my 530d recently went through the same motions of paying extra or not for the advanced AC.
I did not in the end. Primarily because of budgets but also I did not see extra value. In my previous 525i, the "standard" AC was more advanced than the current AC. But I/we never used the dual temp control. The close proximty of passenger and driver makes it a bit of a non-sense as the air ends up circulating anyway.

One button I do miss from my old 525i is the rapid demist button -- this would turn off Auto; wind the fan to max; direct all air to the wind screen and turn the temp to max. All this at a touch of a button. The other feature that is missing (compared to my old 525i) is the auto re-cycle button. This was sometimes useful when stuck in traffic jams behind a particular filthy emitting car or truck. The filter automatically reduced air intake into the cabin depending on how crappy the air was outside. These two features do not exist in the new E60 -- shame on BMW cutting corners on a 38 grand car ! Yes the new AC looks and is cheap :thumbsdown:
You might get this with the Advance AC but will have to pay extra where it used to be included.

My experience in the last coulpe of weeks of driving with the "standard" AC:

1. I miss the demist button
2. I don't miss the dual digital temp control -- prefer the one analogue
3. In Auto mode, the fan noise is noticeable (to me irritating). I tend to leave the temp dial to 20 and even during a long trip, Auto mode will slow down the fan a bit but never enough to stop irritating. So now I effectively turn Auto off by turning the fan speed to low ( < 1).
4. I miss the simple cold/warm front vent dial that I used to be able to adjust precisely. Now I have to press a couple of clicks on the iDrive and turn it to only choose Warm, Neutral or Cool -- not as friendly as just reaching for the dial and simply turning.

You can see a picture of my standard AC here

Generally, the standard AC is simple, cheap and tacky but does work.
The Advance AC may cure some of the issues I highlighted but some how I'm sceptical.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by JollyO' post='235297' date='Feb 6 2006, 12:20 AM
One button I do miss from my old 525i is the rapid demist button -- this would turn off Auto; wind the fan to max; direct all air to the wind screen and turn the temp to max. All this at a touch of a button.
I also hav the better advanced AC in my ol' E39.
Like of liked the looks better than of this non advanced one.

But the rapid mist buttom I do not miss.

I have adjusted the ventilation airflow direction knob up (on the window) and the fan speed knob at almost full.
When I need the Demist function I just hit the fan speed buttom...
The temp doesn't go on full but it works anyway.

After the window is cleared I just push the auto buttom.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='233613' date='Feb 2 2006, 02:40 PM
Dear all

As a newbie, I am nearly there with ordering my first ever BMW 5 (A4 currently) and have negotiated a good deal with my local dealer (10%) for a March 06 ( 07 model) 530 d SE (231). Selected silver Grey - boring I know!!, black Dakota, Standard titanium trim, auto, Hi Fi and mats - all I could stretch to.

However, I can't quite believe the look of the standard aircon controlls. My much cheaper A4 has dual climate, digital control etc as standard but the E60 aircon looks like an 80's family hatchback.

Does the standard AC work ok (but looks crap), or do I need to scrape together enough for the advanced

Over the water, advanced ac looks to be standard

Please advise
Looks like it should be part of the "Police Package".
Old 02-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Originally Posted by red-max' post='235076
No offence intended ,but I think your vintage software in description prevents the standard aircon working properly. My vintage software worked like yours. After upgrade it works as it should with proper auto mode, the auto speeds up the fan until desired temp is reached then slows to maintain the temp, like my old 3 series did & as you would expect auto to work!. In auto the fan speed dial is redundant..
Thanks BMWJIMT. I did wonder if I was missing something by still running the old software, and this gives me a good reason to push my dealer for an upgrade.
[/quote]
I just got upgraded to I-05-09-510 and the aircon now works as you describe. In fact turning the fan speed dial now turns off auto mode (didn't before). Thanks again for the advice BMWJIMT - I'm so glad I joined this forum.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Members

I have it its rubbish. I wish i got the advanced a/c instead of logic7 !