E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Standard A/C looks cheap

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot agree less. Corolla had better _looking_ aircon maybe... But better aircon?!? Start the corolla with cold engine and do the same with E60's aircon and see how it goes...
Old 02-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='233750' date='Feb 2 2006, 10:54 PM
Have to say its the one area where M-B beats BMW hands down. Std Aircon does look cheap and doesnt have residual heat ect. or dual controls like it should have for a car in this class. My wifes former toyota corolla had better aircon.
Did you get to compare the previous 218 hp diesel with your latest version. I am ordering the 231 without trying it. Tried 218 and it was fast but a bit rough
I like Mystic / Beige but wife doesnt - have to have silver grey / black - how boringr
Old 02-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Shame on BMW. How much does it really cost to use digital display, like the E39 had. Its small crap like this, that BMW does, that gets them bad reviews in certain magazines. Yea it drives great, but that looks awful for so much money. This style is not offered here in the states. If it were, people would bitch and complain till no end. I guess thats why its not offered. I dont understand what there thinking is, people in E.U work just as hard for there money as we do in the USA, you deserve the same. Plus you pay more for the E60 than we do.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

That looks awful. BMW can pay for the Idrive and screen but not for auto climate control? Thank goodness we are not offerred this option in Canada, auto climate control is standard.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by KenTO' post='234259' date='Feb 3 2006, 07:07 PM
That looks awful. BMW can pay for the Idrive and screen but not for auto climate control? Thank goodness we are not offerred this option in Canada, auto climate control is standard.
Actually the std version is auto climate control which is very effective - just a cheaper looking version without dual settings, residual heat and seperate heat control for the rear.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Originally Posted by red-max' post='233664' date='Feb 2 2006, 03:41 PM
Yes, after coming from an E39, I have to agree that the UK standard "automatic air conditioning" does look a bit cheap and out of place in an otherwise high-tech car. However, it is fully automatic temperature and air control, not just basic A/C as found in cheaper cars.

Having driven my E60 since November, I'd say that it seems to work fine, and is actually very simple to use, with just one rotary control for the temperature (which I leave midway between 18 and 22), and another for the fan (which I mostly leave on 1, but crank up to 3 to de-mist).

Then again, I haven't tried it in hot weather yet, so I don'[t know how effective the A/C is at cooling the car.

Silver Grey is a pretty good colour and really suits the E60 IMHO - but maybe I'm biased. :-)
No offence intended ,but I think your vintage software in description prevents the standard aircon working properly. My vintage software worked like yours. After upgrade it works as it should with proper auto mode, the auto speeds up the fan until desired temp is reached then slows to maintain the temp, like my old 3 series did & as you would expect auto to work!. In auto the fan speed dial is redundant..
Old 02-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='233762
Have to say its the one area where M-B beats BMW hands down. Std Aircon does look cheap and doesnt have residual heat ect. or dual controls like it should have for a car in this class. My wifes former toyota corolla had better aircon.
Did you get to compare the previous 218 hp diesel with your latest version. I am ordering the 231 without trying it. Tried 218 and it was fast but a bit rough
I like Mystic / Beige but wife doesnt - have to have silver grey / black - how boringr
[/quote]
Before ordering the car I tested the 218BHP engine, it was still very good but the newer 231BHP engine is more refined, has better economy and sounds like a gasoline engine.

Originally Posted by PaulCP' post='234282
Actually the std version is auto climate control which is very effective - just a cheaper looking version without dual settings, residual heat and seperate heat control for the rear.
[/quote]
In other words inferior to the version standard for less money in the US.

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='233753' date='Feb 2 2006, 10:57 PM
I cannot agree less. Corolla had better _looking_ aircon maybe... But better aircon?!? Start the corolla with cold engine and do the same with E60's aircon and see how it goes...
Here in the UK, Corolla T Spirit ? 14,300 with climate control that works great. - BMW 5-Series SE spec. with the same spec ? 40,000. Your right it should be better on the BMW its almost three times more expensive.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The standard A/C works great!
Have experienced it from +32 to - 24 Celsius (+90 - 11 F)!

I always have it on auto mode but when the temperatures are
as they are now (-19 C) I do not have the actual AC on!

Shitty pic but still... I can live with it!
Old 02-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='233799' date='Feb 3 2006, 01:34 AM
Shame on BMW. How much does it really cost to use digital display, like the E39 had. Its small crap like this, that BMW does, that gets them bad reviews in certain magazines. Yea it drives great, but that looks awful for so much money. This style is not offered here in the states. If it were, people would bitch and complain till no end. I guess thats why its not offered. I dont understand what there thinking is, people in E.U work just as hard for there money as we do in the USA, you deserve the same. Plus you pay more for the E60 than we do.
Why would the AC become better with a digital display? Actually I prefer the "analouge" version with stepped knobs. My wife have digital one in her Peugeot and you have to take a look when you adjust it to see what you did. Same sutpid thing in the old Saabs I had full digital reading of all settings and you had to look at it to see what it was set to. In the BMW you know that 2-steps is 1 degree. The only thing I miss is that you can't set the temp to be single sided. Would have been easier when you drive alone.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:46 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Standard Auto A/C works perfect on mine. Windows defog is excellent.
The advantage is the very easy regulation.

The advantages of the Advanced Auto A/C are
1. the look
2. auto recycling
3. independent fresh or warm/cold air to the back seats.
4. cold/warm air possibility in the armrest bottom location.

The auto function works by calculation of the sun position/outer temperature, etc.
The disadvantage is the very complex regulation.

Quick Reply: Standard A/C looks cheap