E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Standard A/C looks cheap

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61

Agree with your observation - I was also nervous about the standard air-con as it looked very basic. However like red-max I've been pleasantly surprised. It seems to do the job well and most of the time I just leave on 'auto' and tweak the temp a little if required. If you need to demist then just turning up the fan control does the trick. I used to have an Audi A6 with the digital display for temp and I don't miss that.

One other point - as well as the basic controls you can separately control the temp of the air through the dash vents in iDrive (I find warm car and cool air very good when driving at night).
Old 02-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I used to have the std system on my last E60 and now have the advanced version which is standard on the 535d. The std system works fine just looks crap. One thing I did miss with the std was the quick clear windscreen function also theres no dual zone with the std or hot/cold switch in the rear. IMHO I would pay the extra and get the advanced.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

The standard system is just fine! It works well and in my opinion is easier to use as you only have one temperature control and not two. I never used the dual temperature in my previous 5 anyway, the person in the passenger seat never needed to be a different temperature from me!!! The advanced system is worth the money if you want an extra toy to play with i suppose, especially with the idrive controlling the specific airflow through each vent. But if you want simple and robust climate control the standard does the job.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:03 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Standard is fine, advanced looks better and the cooled storage compartment stop my chocolate bar from melting in our 4 week summer.

The separate controls for the rear on advanced iis useful f you carry kids
Old 02-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by ScottishBimmer' post='233710' date='Feb 2 2006, 09:59 PM
The standard system is just fine! It works well and in my opinion is easier to use as you only have one temperature control and not two. I never used the dual temperature in my previous 5 anyway, the person in the passenger seat never needed to be a different temperature from me!!! The advanced system is worth the money if you want an extra toy to play with i suppose, especially with the idrive controlling the specific airflow through each vent. But if you want simple and robust climate control the standard does the job.
I agree. I have dual temp in my A4 and it is a nonsense. Just dont like tho look of the standard one. May have to live with it as March 06 price rise just been announced aswell
Old 02-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Again concur that the standard is very "low rent" appearance for a car of this cost, particularly when compared to the competition.
My car came with the advanced - however, don't find it very advanced compared to previous basic VAG climate.
If appearance is important upgrade, but would put Xenon, Nav, Phone - in fact almost everything - ahead in the priorities in terms of function
Old 02-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Dual aircon is nonsense?!? Looks like you are not married or...
Old 02-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='233738' date='Feb 2 2006, 10:39 PM
Again concur that the standard is very "low rent" appearance for a car of this cost, particularly when compared to the competition.
My car came with the advanced - however, don't find it very advanced compared to previous basic VAG climate.
If appearance is important upgrade, but would put Xenon, Nav, Phone - in fact almost everything - ahead in the priorities in terms of function
I agree but just cant help worrying about the wifes view. "You paid how much for this" and its worse than an A4 standard spec (she doesnt care about the driving characteristics, tourque etc)
Xenon, nav and phone nice but I would need a 520D to get them - need the power
Old 02-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Have to say its the one area where M-B beats BMW hands down. Std Aircon does look cheap and doesnt have residual heat ect. or dual controls like it should have for a car in this class. My wifes former toyota corolla had better aircon.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='233643' date='Feb 2 2006, 09:18 PM
I have never seen standard one...
Standard A/C looks cheap-imgp1397.jpg

Standard A/C looks cheap-e60_106.jpg

Standard A/C looks cheap-e60_107.jpg

Quick Reply: Standard A/C looks cheap