E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ST Coilover review on Pre-LCI 550i

Old 05-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Do you thick this could brake something. Will I need a new mount? What about the coilovers?
Can you please advise me how to install these correctly?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

I hate this when shop people do this.i asked them many times if they know how to do it. Do you think it is good idea to let them fix it and align the car?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

Name:  Assembly_zps4thg3gse.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  142.9 KB

That's where they messed up the install. As for damaging anything, probably should change that Black bushing. As far as install correctly, some people don't realize they need to use the OEM hardware. You have the instructions that came with coil over. As long as they follow the picture diagram provided it should be fine.

If your coilovers aren't leaking and hydraulic oil then it should be fine (if you see oil then that means your shock got blown out & will need to be replaced). Also when they remove the rear coil over. Inspect the shaft of the shock. Look for any gouges, scrapes on the shock. It should be perfectly smooth, if it's not. Then there is a possibility that in time it will damage the shock.

Last edited by myxyzxo; 05-24-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:28 AM
New Members

If you have the rear of the car jacked up. I am pretty sure that you can push on the tire & the suspension will go down as well right?

Use this picture for illustration of what went wrong.

#9 & 10 (according to the pic you posted) seems to be installed wrong. It should be installed above #6. But your pic shows it was installed below #6.
Edited: Since it's sitting below #6 than that means with the car jacked up. You can push on the tire and the suspension will go down.

Edited: If you look at #1 towards the top of the shock shaft. See how it's smaller than the lower body of the shaft? #5 is what sits at that area. That keeps the shock from traveling past #6.

For correct install: You should be using #5 through #10 from your OEM shocks. That should be transferred to your Coil Over. It must be installed exactly as the diagram shows.

Name:  1912730_zps5au1zujl.gif
Views: 196
Size:  5.3 KB Name:  image_zpsgflrkheo.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  3.1 KB

Last edited by myxyzxo; 05-24-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

I just looked under the wheel and took the pic and compared it to own shock assembly. They put some unknown spacers as I see between the number 5 OEM plate/washer and mount. That not supposed to be there I think. They also did not put top cap on shock mount which is ridiculous.
Attached Thumbnails ST Coilover review on Pre-LCI 550i-image.jpg  
Old 05-24-2015, 12:04 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Margal
I just looked under the wheel and took the pic and compared it to own shock assembly. They put some unknown spacers as I see between the number 5 OEM plate/washer and mount. That not supposed to be there I think. They also did not put top cap on shock mount which is ridiculous.
Jump to the 4min mark of this video for the top cap.

LMFAO.. That UNKNOWN spacer you are seeing is your top cap. You see on your coil the paint is scraped off? That's from your top cap rubbing onto the coil. That's where your noise is coming from. They just need to remove that top cap and put it in the correct place and you will be fine.

Also #5, they have it installed above the top cap.

Edited: looks like your rubber bushing is damaged. Though you may be ok for now, but since the suspension needs to be taken off. I suggest you replace that. The shop that installed your coil overs fucked it up. Have them pay for it.

Edited: Also noticed the top cap is installed upside down. Make sure they have it installed in the correct orientation or else you will hear some squeaking noise. Should also check the shock to see if compression & decompression are ok.

Edited: Should let people here know what shop installed your coil overs. So fellow forum members stay away from them. FYI, if the shop that did the install is close to you, then drive carefully. If it requires you to get on the freeway, have the car towed to them (it's not safe in it's current state). I hope you pushed on the rear tire when the car was jacked up. It the suspension drops when pushing then, that means your shocks aren't TRULY mounted on the car & can come off while driving.

Last edited by myxyzxo; 05-24-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Members
Senior Members

They did not put that cap on top of mount as seen on that wideo, I am missing it. I am referring to the spacers that is not on OEM between mount and plate under the well.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:38 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Margal
I am referring to the spacers that is not on OEM between mount and plate under the well.
You are confusing me with that comment. In your picture from the underside of the car. That black spacer in your picture is your top cap.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Ok I gonna use the realOEM to explain it what I mean. I am missing # 9 plate as it is called there
This is on top on mount. There is also #5 supporting cup that goes before mount but as you look closely at my pic you see some sort of unknown thick space between that supporting cup and mounts. That part is not listed in realOEM and I also do not see it on my old OEM shock assembly.
Attached Thumbnails ST Coilover review on Pre-LCI 550i-image.jpg  

Last edited by Margal; 05-24-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:10 PM
New Members

Margal, I think I understand what you are saying. Is that last pic of your OEM shock??? I believe that on your coilovers. They used the #9 & installed it after #5. That's why it's sitting below #6.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ST Coilover review on Pre-LCI 550i