E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ST Coilover review on Pre-LCI 550i

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 03:56 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

Looking at your pic. Your ride height is not that low. Your complaint is that when driving the ride is bumpy. That will go away in time once the shocks/springs settle in.. Though there won't be a major improvement due to the fact that ST coilovers tend to be stiff..

There is only one option for you currently. Which is going to your front shocks and removing 50% of the bump stop on you shocks. By removing I mean cutting away 50% of the polypropylene piece that is attached to your shocks. By doing this you are allowing your shocks another 1/2 to 3/4 inch of travel. This will help the bounce somewhat.

Other than that, there isn't much you can do concerning ride quality. Just get an alignment done so that your tires don't wear out prematurely..

Last edited by myxyzxo; 05-23-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by myxyzxo
Looking at your pic. Your ride height is not that low. Your complaint is that when driving the ride is bumpy. That will go away in time once the shocks/springs settle in.. Though there won't be a major improvement due to the fact that ST coilovers tend to be stiff..

There is only one option for you currently. Which is going to your front shocks and removing 50% of the bump stop on you shocks. By removing I mean cutting away 50% of the polypropylene piece that is attached to your shocks. By doing this you are allowing your shocks another 1/2 to 3/4 inch of travel. This will help the bounce somewhat.

Other than that, there isn't much you can do concerning ride quality. Just get an alignment done so that your tires don't wear out prematurely..

Thanks for your help. really appreciate it. look like this gonna be to much trouble. i will take it to the shop once they are back next week and see what they can do. i do not mind little stiffer ride than stock but this does not looks right to me at all as the car's rear end make cracking sound and is terribly unstable. if this is the ride this coilovers supposed to than i difinitly moving back to new stock springs and shocks.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:30 PM
New Members

Are you certain that the sounds you are hearing are coming from the suspension? Could it be coming from the interior rear seat or back glass panel? Can you describe the sound you are hearing? Like example does it sound like it's metal rubbing on metal etc.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

i am certain that the noise is from coilovers as there was no such sound at all before the install, it sounds like cracking like ksh or krich and when going on uneven road like boom.mostly metal to metal rubbing in words it is so horrible thet my daughter was scared when she was sitting in back seat. i was trying to upload the sound video but look like it is not possible in here, somebody from bemmerfest sad that it could be a defective shock with no dampening that also make scene to me.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:13 AM
Members
Senior Members

Here is the link for sound video
Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 AM
New Members

wow. That sounds awful. Did you use a lot of force when pushing your car up and down to get that sound? ST do not offer dampening on their coil overs.

I can see where you could possibly received one defective shock. Are you able to remove the rear trunk panel where the coilovers bolt onto the car? If you remove the driver side trunk panel, in the top corner there is a black piece of foam. You can pull that foam out and see 3 bolts where the coil overs are bolted onto your car. Can you take a pic of that area? I am thinking that the shop installed the coilovers wrong. Some coil overs require you to use some parts from your OEM suspension to be installed in conjunction with your coil overs. Specifically the washers (if this applies to your set up), must be installed correctly.

I had a bad install on a previous car where the washer wasn't used /placed in the correct position. Causing 3" of the shock to protrude into my engine bay, when the car was lowered off the jack.

Also, did you happen to take a pic of your coil overs before you had them installed?

Last edited by myxyzxo; 05-24-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

There is little force applied. Once it starts rocking it goes on its own.
I took the pic of rear top will take under once I get chance
Thanks a lot
Attached Thumbnails ST Coilover review on Pre-LCI 550i-image.jpg  
Old 05-24-2015, 10:34 AM
New Members

Margal, it looks like your coilover indeed was installed wrong. Seems like your shocks are going into your trunk when it travels up and down. Hence you are riding on nothing but springs. which would explain the sounds you are getting. Can you look directly above where that bolt in the pic is. If you see an indentation on the metal body of your car. That is proof that that your shock is hitting the top of your trunk.

Or you can push your car up and down again. Then look to see if that nut is getting pushed into your trunk.

Edited: Doesn't matter if you can see the shock going into your trunk Like I mentioned above. I am certain that the install was done wrong. That nut should not be sitting like that. I believe they didn't use existing components of your OEM shock for the install.

Last edited by myxyzxo; 05-24-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

Yes when I rock the car the top shock Bolt moves up and down. supposed that way?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:04 AM
New Members

It's not suppose to be like that. It should sit firmly in place.

Last edited by myxyzxo; 05-24-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: ST Coilover review on Pre-LCI 550i