E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squirming over white lines?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 02:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520i, Auto-Dim Int + Folding Ext. Mirrors BMW 6 Disc CD Changer Dark Poplar Wood - High Gloss De-chroming Front Centre Arm Rest-Sliding Leather interior Metallic paint No Model Inscription Park Distance Control - Front/Rear Service Inclusive Star Spoke 138 7.5Jx17" + Run Flat Tyres

Hi All,
I'm new the the board, and a new owner of a 520i - just a baby comapred with some of the monster-engines around! Love it to bits though - what a car!

The strangest thing when crossing thick white lane marking lines on the motorway - the whole car kind of "squirms" when each wheel passes over the line. Is this something to do with traction control, or should I simply check the tyre pressures!

Cheers!
Old 09-20-2005, 04:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hello bigkuri and welcome to the forum!

How wide are your tires? I.e. I have 245/40 18" and these makes the car unstable then driving over vertical treds etc.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 520i, Auto-Dim Int + Folding Ext. Mirrors BMW 6 Disc CD Changer Dark Poplar Wood - High Gloss De-chroming Front Centre Arm Rest-Sliding Leather interior Metallic paint No Model Inscription Park Distance Control - Front/Rear Service Inclusive Star Spoke 138 7.5Jx17" + Run Flat Tyres

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Sep 20 2005, 01:23 PM
Hello bigkuri and welcome to the forum!

How wide are your tires? I.e. I have 245/40 18" and these makes the car unstable then driving over vertical treds etc.
[snapback]172634[/snapback]
Hi Ricracing,
Not that wide - only 225/50 17". Although with what you say about vertical treds fits with what it feels like. Can't say I've ever noticed it in other cars though.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:17 AM
Contributors

You may be experiencing tramlining. Some tires seem to suddenly wiggle over a paint strip, a seam or grove in the road. My Bridgestone Potenza SO-3s are particularly adept at this trick. But when I put on my winter tires (Blizzaks) there is no tramlining at all. So, it isn't the car, it's the rubber.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bigkuri' date='Sep 20 2005, 10:28 AM
Hi All,
I'm new the the board, and a new owner of a 520i - just a baby comapred with some of the monster-engines around!? Love it to bits though - what a car!

The strangest thing when crossing thick white lane marking lines on the motorway - the whole car kind of "squirms" when each wheel passes over the line.? Is this something to do with traction control, or should I simply check the tyre pressures!?

Cheers!
[snapback]172614[/snapback]
If you haven't done many miles yet then perhaps the car is still 'wearing-in', especially the tyres...

The run-flat tyres could also be contributing as they have stiff sidewalls. The E60's suspension is good as masking the effect of them but there's still quite a difference from 'normal' tyres! If you've never checked the pressure I'd suggest doing it straight away - factory/dealer pressures can be a bit hit and miss!

The ride quality in mine sometimes amazes me and then is just damn rough and noisy!!!

PS Update your profile with your spec
Old 09-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Members

Thanks for the advice. Thought my profile was populated - will put some more info in - sorry!

It's a ex-demonstrator that I got a deal on - so has around 9k miles, and was pretty well looked after in all apparent regards.

I think that it may be tram-lining as suggested, and maybe also a combination of run-flat tyres - never had these before, so makes sense they are diff to drive on than normal tyres. It is kind of strange though - really grabs the car a bit and makes it lurch. Nothing that would ruin control but just strange.

I'll check pressures - has been very enjoyable first few days driving but time to take care of it!
Old 09-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bigkuri' date='Sep 20 2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the advice.? Thought my profile was populated - will put some more info in - sorry!
It was blank when I saw it, but when you update it all your old posts get it too

It's a ex-demonstrator that I got a deal on - so has around 9k miles, and was pretty well looked after in all apparent regards.
Hmmm, should be well 'broken in' then...

I think that it may be tram-lining as suggested, and maybe also a combination of run-flat tyres - never had these before, so makes sense they are diff to drive on than normal tyres.? It is kind of strange though - really grabs the car a bit and makes it lurch.? Nothing that would ruin control but just strange.

I'll check pressures - has been very enjoyable first few days driving but time to take care of it!
Can't say I've noticed such a lurch but the ride can be a bit variable. Might be worth mentioning to the dealer - it might be wheel alignment. It could just be the different grip levels from the tarmac to the white lines combined with the E60 suspension and tyres. I've got the lowered sports suspension, perhaps that helps a bit in some ways...

Enjoy!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Auto Sport Silver Gray Metallic - Black Leather - Poplar Premium Sound - Shades - Sat Prep 3M Clear Bra

You been hanging out with Kate Moss???

sorry - couldnt resist.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Members

I had this problem at around 7,000 miles. Had an alignment done and it fixed the problem. Now have 13,500 miles and it is back. I guess these cars do not "hold" an alignment. Big problem - it should not happen. And an alignment is $400 + !! :'( And the inside of the front tires are scalloping - very loud, like snow tires. BMW won't do anything about it because "the tires are not OEM tires".
Old 09-21-2005, 02:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Capebimmer' date='Sep 21 2005, 03:17 AM
I had this problem at around 7,000 miles.? Had an alignment done and it fixed the problem.? Now have 13,500 miles and it is back.? I guess these cars do not "hold" an alignment.? Big problem - it should not happen.? And an alignment is $400 +? !!? :'(? And the inside of the front tires are scalloping - very loud, like snow tires.? BMW won't do anything about it because "the tires are not OEM tires".?
[snapback]172965[/snapback]

Capebimmer - so the car had the lurching squirming feeling over ridges in the road? Thought that alignment was more vibration felt through the wheel at speed (at least it was in the Triumph stag I had about 20 years ago!)

Will flag it up with BMW regardless - at least there will be a paper trail soon after purchase in case it is something like alignment that costs $$ to get fixed.

Quick Reply: Squirming over white lines?