E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaky Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Try Sonax Gummipflege (from ebay.de) .. it works well
Old 08-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 535d M e61 530d Iron Horse Sunday :-)

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
The seal is a hollow tube of rubber that is compressed when the door closes and compresses it. It seems the inside of this tube is sticky and when compressed it "sticks" to itself. When my door frame moves or vibrates slightly, the rubber unsticks - sticks - unsticks and so on rapidly making this ticking noise (which by the way is right at my ear level!). I was able to duplicate the sounds by compressing the rubber by hand.

The car was in for service and I asked them to replace the rubber seal. My wife reports no ticking noise so far but I will decide when I can drive it myself for a while.

Quite right! I'm sure that's it. I've changed the rubber on the chasis and it stopped for 2 weeks then again....
Mine doesn't stick but when I compress it with my fingers I hear the same noise as the one while driving.
I've cleaned all the rubber seals 20 times, applied "gummi pflege" and nothing. (first couple of times it helped but now nothing helps) and I'm sure that problem is inside of the tubes when they are compressed.
Every 20cm there is hole in the rubber and I tried spraying rubber care fluid inside but it's not liquid enough to do the job right. Any suggestions on what to inject inside those holes that will not damage the rubber and prevent squeeking and rattle while driving?
Maybe wd40, but I think it's too agressive on the rubber...
Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Originally Posted by Vule
Quite right! I'm sure that's it. I've changed the rubber on the chasis and it stopped for 2 weeks then again....
Mine doesn't stick but when I compress it with my fingers I hear the same noise as the one while driving.
I've cleaned all the rubber seals 20 times, applied "gummi pflege" and nothing. (first couple of times it helped but now nothing helps) and I'm sure that problem is inside of the tubes when they are compressed.
Every 20cm there is hole in the rubber and I tried spraying rubber care fluid inside but it's not liquid enough to do the job right. Any suggestions on what to inject inside those holes that will not damage the rubber and prevent squeeking and rattle while driving?
Maybe wd40, but I think it's too agressive on the rubber...
How about degreasing the part that is touching the rubber? Or maybe even waxing it?? Where do you live btw. ... ? Some specially humid part of the world? Seaside.. ?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 535d M e61 530d Iron Horse Sunday :-)

Originally Posted by hondik
How about degreasing the part that is touching the rubber? Or maybe even waxing it?? Where do you live btw. ... ? Some specially humid part of the world? Seaside.. ?

I have tried that before I tried with rubber care. No luck...
I live in Croatia. We have temeratures around 35[sup]o[/sup]C in daytime and in the morning car is coverd with dewdrops. I think that the moisture is inside the rubber and making it squeel (the rubber material is squeak kind by itself)...
I've cleaned the area around rubber (and the chasis side also) and applied rubber care in this gap (between rubber, plastic and paint). It stops for short period of time then again the same day. Only lowering the window for a few mm helps.
The worse squeak is 1 or 2 hours after carwash..