E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaky Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So its summer time and as many have experienced before, the rubber on the doors are squeaking due to heat and dust i presume.

Some have fixed this under warranty (but noise came back) but my father is very busy and doesn't trust the driver to take his car to the dealer.

Long story short, I recall people solved this issue with some gel or liquid, can you guys remind me what was used to remove those annoying noises? Or can someone link me to the threads concerning this matter.

Thank you
Old 04-25-2010, 04:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Bteljuice
So its summer time and as many have experienced before, the rubber on the doors are squeaking due to heat and dust i presume.

Some have fixed this under warranty (but noise came back) but my father is very busy and doesn't trust the driver to take his car to the dealer.

Long story short, I recall people solved this issue with some gel or liquid, can you guys remind me what was used to remove those annoying noises? Or can someone link me to the threadscconcerning this matter.

Thank you
My dealer advised me to spray Static Guard into the gap in the window seal to solve the problem. Has anyone tried that?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871
My dealer advised me to spray Static Guard into the gap in the window seal to solve the problem. Has anyone tried that?
So the brand name of the spray bottle is called "Static Guard" ? Im just asking because I'm going to call the driver to get it it from the auto-store. So i have to be precised with what i tell him or else i'll get the usual response "They don't have it".
Old 04-25-2010, 04:20 AM
Contributors

So the brand name of the spray bottle is called "Static Guard" ? Im just asking because I'm going to call the driver to get it it from the auto-store. So i have to be precised with what i tell him or else i'll get the usual response "They don't have it".
Yes the brand is Static Guard:
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-25-2010, 04:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Yes the brand is Static Guard: http://www.amazon.co...5/dp/B0013IRBG4
Thank you for the quick reply. So did you try this. did it work? Someone mentioned vaseline as well. I tried Vaseline on my sun roof, because it wasn't closing properly, solved the problem. Does it also apply on the door sills?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:21 AM
Contributors

Thank you for the quick reply. So did you try this. did it work? Someone mentioned vaseline as well. I tried Vaseline on my sun roof, because it wasn't closing properly, solved the problem. Does it also apply on the door sills?
I haven't tried it yet but will soon. Yesterday, I drove my ride for the first time in 2 weeks because I just got back from 10 days in Japan.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Welcome back. How was Japan.

My father has barely enough time to drive his car as well. Its mostly for social meetings. Hes always traveling or the driver driving him around in a Yukon.

You want to know to what extend he doesn't drive his car. Its a 08 530i, driven so far 5,200 miles. Freaky i know.

Back to topic, please let me know if Static Guard works. Or if anyone else can chime in on some other product, maybe this cannot be find in my father's area.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Contributors

This is a known problem.

Some tips:

Use a fiber or nylon fingernail brush to clean the flocked sealing gasket on the door. Dust and dirt can collect on the fuzzy material and cause noises when the frame flexes.

Clean all painted door-frame sections and apply a good detail spray to ensure they are spotless. I do not recommend waxing as it can transfer to the near-by gaskets and over time actually worsen the noise problem.

After cleaning them thoroughly, apply a quality rubber-protection product to all the rubber door gaskets (BUT NOT to the flocked gasket material on the top of the door frame.) I use autoglym http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product...6VQ=HE&Range=1 but it may not be available in all countries. Look for a similar product at auto or boat supply stores.

There is a dealer service bulletin about this problem (applies to some years of the e60 model) and the remedy is the application of a special Teflon tape on the door frames.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td
This is a known problem.

Some tips:

Use a fiber or nylon fingernail brush to clean the flocked sealing gasket on the door. Dust and dirt can collect on the fuzzy material and cause noises when the frame flexes.

Clean all painted door-frame sections and apply a good detail spray to ensure they are spotless. I do not recommend waxing as it can transfer to the near-by gaskets and over time actually worsen the noise problem.

After cleaning them thoroughly, apply a quality rubber-protection product to all the rubber door gaskets (BUT NOT to the flocked gasket material on the top of the door frame.) I use autoglym http://www.autoglym....06VQ=HE&Range=1 but it may not be available in all countries. Look for a similar product at auto or boat supply stores.

There is a dealer service bulletin about this problem (applies to some years of the e60 model) and the remedy is the application of a special Teflon tape on the door frames.
Thank you so much for this detailed description and DIY. This will help me and a lot of members who are coming close to the sunny season.

Do you happen to have the SIB, just to have it as back up for future reference?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Contributors

You wont find static guard at any automotive store. At least you shouldn't be able to. Static guard is used on clothing and laundry. You spray it on clothes to remove the static build up.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Rubber