E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaky Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmdub
You wont find static guard at any automotive store. At least you shouldn't be able to. Static guard is used on clothing and laundry. You spray it on clothes to remove the static build up.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by bmdub
You wont find static guard at any automotive store. At least you shouldn't be able to. Static guard is used on clothing and laundry. You spray it on clothes to remove the static build up.
Correct. My dealer has performed the fix in the service bulletin twice. Each time, the problem was solved temporarily only to return.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Bteljuice
Welcome back. How was Japan.

My father has barely enough time to drive his car as well. Its mostly for social meetings. Hes always traveling or the driver driving him around in a Yukon.

You want to know to what extend he doesn't drive his car. Its a 08 530i, driven so far 5,200 miles. Freaky i know.

Back to topic, please let me know if Static Guard works. Or if anyone else can chime in on some other product, maybe this cannot be find in my father's area.
Japan was amazing. We were in Tokyo, Yokohama and Kyoto. We also saw concerts by Lady GaGa, James Taylor and Carole King. And we went to a Yomiuri Giants baseball game. We had a blast.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

use Vaseline on the seal 100% works.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Members

Hi! just want to be sure. what kind of vaseline i'm going to buy? is it the petroleum jelly or lotion?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by jcy1975
Hi! just want to be sure. what kind of vaseline i'm going to buy? is it the petroleum jelly or lotion?
petroleum jelly
Attached Thumbnails Squeaky Rubber-petroleum-jelly.png  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I asked my SA about the "ticking" noise I hear in my door above the window when hitting bumps and such in the road. The only way I could get it to stop was to slightly crack the window open. He had the teflon tape applied to all my doors. I still heard the noise pulling out of the parking lot.

I continued to live with the problem and tried to track it down myself. This is what I think is going on and the best way for me to describe it:

The seal is a hollow tube of rubber that is compressed when the door closes and compresses it. It seems the inside of this tube is sticky and when compressed it "sticks" to itself. When my door frame moves or vibrates slightly, the rubber unsticks - sticks - unsticks and so on rapidly making this ticking noise (which by the way is right at my ear level!). I was able to duplicate the sounds by compressing the rubber by hand.

The car was in for service and I asked them to replace the rubber seal. My wife reports no ticking noise so far but I will decide when I can drive it myself for a while.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Members

thanks pingu! i will let you know as soon i tried it to my rubber seal.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Members

This is my first reply and I want to say THANKS! I went to my dealer last week and my service advisor told me there was a bulletin for this issue, but the only fix they were aware of is to replace the seals (very high $$$). At the time, I did not really understand as I thought the squeak was coming from the window, not the rubber door seals. Anyway, today, I tried Vasaline first as I already had that product in the house. It did not work. Then I went to the local drug store and purchased a bottle of Static Guard. Instantly worked, no more squeaks! Not sure how long it will last or any long term effects on the moldings, but so far so good.

Mark
2004 BMW 545i Sport (6-Speed)
2006 BMW M Roadster
Attached Thumbnails Squeaky Rubber-img_1017.jpg  
Old 06-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Hey Guys, does anyone have a copy of the SIB for this? I am getting lots of noise also and want to get the seals swapped. I don't think my dealer will do this without the SIB.

thanks!

Quick Reply: Squeaky Rubber