E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaky Breaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright so my breaks squeak when i press on them just a little, not putting the car to a full stop..The dealers said they dont need to be changed because i serviced the car not too long ago, what do you guys think might be the problem? i can see the hubs are rusting a little.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:10 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

honestly OEM brakes always squeak. a number of customers have ordered pads with or without rotors not only because they needed changing but just to get rid of the squeaks/brake dust.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

BMW brake squeak.

There are several things to know in this respect, here're a few that I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Squeaking does NOT necessarily mean there is anything wrong with your brakes. As long as there is no evidence of warped rotors (no shaking under braking), just run your finger on the COLD rotor and feel if its relatively smooth - you want to be sure there are no grooves. But everyone's OEM brakes squeak.

2. You can get an aftermarket set of pads and avoid squeaking. Do be careful though, as there are reports that some of the a/m pads are best to be paired with a/m rotors, bc OEM rotors tend to warp, being of a softer alloy than a/m. Expect to spend about 500-800 dollars (plus labor) for a set of a/m rotors, pads and stainless steel brakes lines (might as well change them, if you'll be upgrading the rest).

3. I've heard of - though have never used it myself - of a special liquid that you can apply to the rotors and it - reportedly -relieves the squeaking for a while, but needs re-applying when it rains, etc.

4. I once complained to my dealer that the brakes are making a lot of noise and they shaved (or polished? I don't remeber...) the rotors - whatever they did, it didn't work for too long - started squeaking again same day I picked the car back up from the service.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Members

just drive 60mph and just press your brakepaddle really hard untill u stop, like an emergency stop, and now the squeeky noise is gone, it normally stays away for a month, but watch out if there aren't any people driving behind you
Old 10-30-2009, 12:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by 525Da' post='1043510' date='Oct 30 2009, 04:44 AM
just drive 60mph and just press your brakepaddle really hard untill u stop, like an emergency stop, and now the squeeky noise is gone, it normally stays away for a month, but watch out if there aren't any people driving behind you
This is called bedding the brakes and you should do a search on how to bed the brakes properly before you do something that may cause a warped rotor, if you want to do this. In my experience it is not a long-term fix though.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='1043498' date='Oct 30 2009, 01:10 AM
honestly OEM brakes always squeak. a number of customers have ordered pads with or without rotors not only because they needed changing but just to get rid of the squeaks/brake dust.
+1

took mine to the dealer also, they replaced the rear pads and sensors.
But they still squeak. Its annoying but its really not that bad, now vibration is a whole diff issue.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1043514' date='Oct 30 2009, 01:54 AM
This is called bedding the brakes and you should do a search on how to bed the brakes properly before you do something that may cause a warped rotor, if you want to do this. In my experience it is not a long-term fix though.
How to Bed-in Your Brakes.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

Originally Posted by najifa' post='1043496' date='Oct 30 2009, 04:04 AM
Alright so my breaks squeak when i press on them just a little, not putting the car to a full stop..The dealers said they dont need to be changed because i serviced the car not too long ago, what do you guys think might be the problem? i can see the hubs are rusting a little.
you said that there is some rust buildup on the hub....sometimes that could cause the squeeking...sometimes due to excessive rust on the hub and lip of the rotor, the rust could rub against the caliper bracket causing it to squeek...i had the same problem on my car and what i did was shave of the excessive rust with a buffing die grinder while still completing the caliper service...also your guide pins for the calipers may be seized and/or not enough lubrication to move freely...it could also be the type of pads that you use...cheaper pads could result in squeeking no matter how new they are or how you service them....
Old 10-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by najifa' post='1043496' date='Oct 30 2009, 10:04 AM

Try making some, SAFE, hard speed breaking's.

The squek in small speeds and the rusty hubs is so very normal on E60's.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Contributors

I'm going to have to comment on several points:
  1. Brakes - NOT Breaks - YIKEs can we get this correct once and for all
  2. OEM vs Aftermarket
  3. OEM vs Aftermarket Rotors / Discs
    I'm going to handle these together because it is recommended that for BMWs that pads and rotors (discs) be replaced together.

The comments that follow apply to factory and aftermarket products!

Noisy brakes - specifically squealing - results from high frequency vibrations that can be reduced or eliminated by ensuring that the pads are properly fitted installed in the calipers, that associated hardware is clean and properly installed, and the appropriate high temp brake lube is used to ensure that sliding / moving parts can do so thus eliminating or reducing the probability that harmonics (vibration) will occur. In most cases, a vibration dampening agent applied to the backing plate of the brake pad will dampen vibrations and eliminate squealing noises.
    Vibrations resulting from irregularities in brake disc surfaces can be reduced by preparation of the disc (sometimes requiring a dress or truing cut) including a thorough cleaning before installation to remove oils used during the manufacture of the disc. It is also recommended to camfer the edge of new pads slightly and roughen up the surface with a light sanding.

It is my opinion and experience that aftermarket brake pads and discs marketed as "high performance" are inherently noisier and operate best at high temperatures that are rarely achieved during even aggressive street driving. And drivers who need to make a hard fast stop during most driving will find that by the time the brake pads warm up to operating temp they may be two feet into the trunk of the car ahead of you

IMHO there are quality OEM and aftermarket brake products. To say that one is totally superior to the other may be true of some but not of all. TO say that all Aftermarket brake pads are superior to Factory BMW pads is pure marketing (EXCEPT for claims about reduced brake dust - there the aftermarket clearly has the edge!!)
  4. Bedding in (breaking in brakes)
    This is absolutely a MUST DO - Covered in previous post.

There ya got it ... my 48 cents worth