E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is the sports automatic transmission just paddles + shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sir,

I have the answer for you...

The difference is just this: in normal automatic you can still go into manuel mode and shift gears in the way that you do now in current autos (although the new shifter is different). For the sports auto, the difference is the addition of a button at the base of the unit which has 'Sport' on it. You press this and then you can operate the gears from the steering wheel. THe change up or down is quicker too.

I have just ordered a new 535d and I didn't want to wait. I have an auto now and never put it in manuel mode. I suspect the paddles would get on my nerves too after a while.

Very interesting thought, but I think that there's more to it.

BMW USA's web site has the following on it:
As I read between the lines in BMW's press release, the Sport Automatic transmission offers "manual mode" gear selection via both paddle shifting and via a "stick" that operates differently than the "standard automatic."

Standard Automatic:

Sport Automatic:
I haven't seen anything to indicate what the "operational" difference is to the driver when using the shift lever ("stick"). Speculating for a moment, it could be that the standard automatic is moved forwards or backwards like the current Steptronic (and as in the E70 X5), and that the Sport Automatic is actually run through a shift pattern like a "real manual" (except that it's automatic, no clutch).

If paddle shifters and stick movement is the only difference, and the actual transmission is the same, there may be less of a reason to wait until June/July to get the Sport Automatic. I'm not sure what those features might actually bring to the table.

Lou
[/quote]
Old 01-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

The Acura RL has paddles on the steering. Its just an normal automatic with a torque coverter. No Rev matching on down shifts and clutch action like that of the ol SMG. This could be BMWs stop gap solution until they develop the SMG replacement.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='381035' date='Jan 20 2007, 11:50 AM
The Acura RL has paddles on the steering. Its just an normal automatic with a torque coverter. No Rev matching on down shifts and clutch action like that of the ol SMG. This could be BMWs stop gap solution until they develop the SMG replacement.
I believe it's more; see my post earlier in this threat (Post #29) which has quotes from online info from BMW. It sounds like the new transmission will emulate the drive dynamics of a manual transmission, i.e., increasing revs to match downshifting of the gears and backing off revs when upshifting (so called "blipping").

Lou
Old 01-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by jonathanm1966' post='381030' date='Jan 20 2007, 12:27 PM
Sir,

I have the answer for you...

The difference is just this: in normal automatic you can still go into manuel mode and shift gears in the way that you do now in current autos (although the new shifter is different). For the sports auto, the difference is the addition of a button at the base of the unit which has 'Sport' on it. You press this and then you can operate the gears from the steering wheel. THe change up or down is quicker too.

I have just ordered a new 535d and I didn't want to wait. I have an auto now and never put it in manuel mode. I suspect the paddles would get on my nerves too after a while.
Very interesting thought, but I think that there's more to it.

BMW USA's web site has the following on it:
As I read between the lines in BMW's press release, the Sport Automatic transmission offers "manual mode" gear selection via both paddle shifting and via a "stick" that operates differently than the "standard automatic."

Standard Automatic:

Sport Automatic:
I haven't seen anything to indicate what the "operational" difference is to the driver when using the shift lever ("stick"). Speculating for a moment, it could be that the standard automatic is moved forwards or backwards like the current Steptronic (and as in the E70 X5), and that the Sport Automatic is actually run through a shift pattern like a "real manual" (except that it's automatic, no clutch).

If paddle shifters and stick movement is the only difference, and the actual transmission is the same, there may be less of a reason to wait until June/July to get the Sport Automatic. I'm not sure what those features might actually bring to the table.

Lou
Lou,

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you're excited about the arrival of your car -- be sure to post some pics when you get it!

As far as the sports automatic transmission, it's clearly more than just a different shifter and paddles. There is still a limited amount of information available but it does sound like there will be some rev matching (blipping) on downshifts (thank God!) and it's likely that the transmission, when in sport mode, won't upshift even at the rev limiter (similar to the SMG).

At this point, unless you have some inside information, most of what we're all doing here is speculating based on the little tidbits of info that we're gathering from different sources. One thing is clear -- if your dealer told you something about this new transmission offering, it's probably based on similar speculation and, in fact, may not be accurate...
Old 01-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='381038' date='Jan 20 2007, 09:56 AM
I believe it's more; see my post earlier in this threat (Post #29) which has quotes from online info from BMW. It sounds like the new transmission will emulate the drive dynamics of a manual transmission, i.e., increasing revs to match downshifting of the gears and backing off revs when upshifting (so called "blipping").

Lou
I just went back and read your post. I am now even more certain that I am right. The torque converter is still there. None of the language indicated that this was a manual transmission. Like the Orange drink that cannot be refererred to a juice. I think they would have called it the new SMG if they could have.

So there is no clutch system like in the SMG.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree -- it's clearly an automatic but hopefully it's advanced enough (and smart enough) to come close to the SMG experience. If I end up waiting until June for one and it turns out to be less than thrilling, I'm gonna be plenty pissed!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='381042' date='Jan 20 2007, 06:07 PM
I just went back and read your post. I am now even more certain that I am right. The torque converter is still there. None of the language indicated that this was a manual transmission. Like the Orange drink that cannot be refererred to a juice. I think they would have called it the new SMG if they could have.
So there is no clutch system like in the SMG.
Not like but...

In the new BMW six-speed automatic transmission, an automatic clutch bridges over the converter, if required, and links the engine to the transmission. This means that the converter is used almost exclusively for moving off. This helps to ensure unprecedented driving dynamics in vehicles with automatic transmission.
BMW UK Magzine (Winter 2006), Page 31, "Energy Management."

ABC
Old 01-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Members

check th EU site, it mentions a different torque converter, thus a different transmission.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by tahoerds3' post='381215' date='Jan 21 2007, 10:20 AM
check th EU site, it mentions a different torque converter, thus a different transmission.
Where did you see that. Can you provide the link?

In the text I have seen, they describe a different torque converter all right but this is for the new-6 speed automatic (compared to the old tranmission).

From BMW UK Press release

All 5 Series Saloon and Touring models come as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox (automatic standard on 535d variants). A high proportion of customers are expected to specify BMW?s new six-speed automatic gearbox, with its new, more ergonomic, gear selector. Using upgraded hydraulics, an innovative torque converter and powerful software, the new automatic ?box responds to the slightest movement of the throttle pedal with reaction times increased by 40 per cent, and shift times halved.

Buyers of 550i, 540i, 530i, 535d and 530d models can opt for BMW?s all-new Automatic Sports Transmission. One press of the Sport button behind the gear lever allows shifts to be made using steering wheel mounted paddles to deliver even faster, more dynamic, changes.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='381219' date='Jan 21 2007, 10:49 AM
Buyers of 550i, 540i, 530i, 535d and 530d models can opt for BMW?s all-new Automatic Sports Transmission. One press of the Sport button behind the gear lever allows shifts to be made using steering wheel mounted paddles to deliver even faster, more dynamic, changes.
The doco I've got says 530i/535d/550i only (From June 2007)

Can't believe it myself but that 530i is looking more likely...

Quick Reply: Is the sports automatic transmission just paddles + shifter?