E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sportier: Dynamic Drive vs. Sport Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am ready to place an order for an LCI, but want to know more information from actual owners. I know it has been debated over and over again, but somehow I feel I cannot find the right answers. Of course, I don't expect to find it now, but I will be a step closer to make the right decision.

I drive an E60 with Active Steering and sport suspension. My associate drives one with Dynamic Drive. Clear to me Active Steering is a winner, but what about Dynamic Drive? I drove them both, but have mixed feelings. What should I choose and why?

- Sport suspendion
- Dynamic drive
- Sport suspension AND Dynamic drive

I am concerned about weight added by dynamic drive and also the lack of feeling when cornering. I drove my associate's car and it is nice in corners, when you really push the car, the rear wheels are loosing grip all of a sudden without much warning to the driver, whereas my car is much more progressive in this respect. True, it will lean much more on corners. But for a sportier car, isn't this desireable?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='435646' date='Jun 14 2007, 05:47 AM
I am ready to place an order for an LCI, but want to know more information from actual owners. I know it has been debated over and over again, but somehow I feel I cannot find the right answers. Of course, I don't expect to find it now, but I will be a step closer to make the right decision.

I drive an E60 with Active Steering and sport suspension. My associate drives one with Dynamic Drive. Clear to me Active Steering is a winner, but what about Dynamic Drive? I drove them both, but have mixed feelings. What should I choose and why?

- Sport suspendion
- Dynamic drive
- Sport suspension AND Dynamic drive

I am concerned about weight added by dynamic drive and also the lack of feeling when cornering. I drove my associate's car and it is nice in corners, when you really push the car, the rear wheels are loosing grip all of a sudden without much warning to the driver, whereas my car is much more progressive in this respect. True, it will lean much more on corners. But for a sportier car, isn't this desireable?
It seems to me you have the perfect opportunity to determine which "drive" you prefer. You've driven your car over time; now if you can swap cars with your associate for an afternoon, you should be able to determine which "drive" you prefer. Personally I'd take the car that is more predictable in it's handling and doesn't lose grip while cornering, however both cars have their cornering "limit" and if Active Drive raises the limit considerable before breaking free at the rear end, then I'd say it's the better handling can when driven within it's limits.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

I did not said that with Dynamic Drive you get more grip (it raises the limit). Actually I very much doubt it. It is hard to really compare the cars as mine is somehow lighter (530i) and his is somehow heavier (530d). Also mine has Active Steering, his does not. Active Steering makes cornering much more tight in slalom, I'd say I have more control. I've driven many BMW's without it (E90 330i, E92 335i, E60 530d, etc) and still prefer Active Steering.

I was just trying to get some confirmation to my suspicions. That Dynamic Drive is hiding some information from rear axle when you come near the limit...
Old 06-14-2007, 05:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Get them both. In the US we don't have choices like these. The Msuspension with non RF 19" wheels is a joy. Far more comfortable and grippy than without. Dynamic drive is great unless you track yor car and corner at the limit. You want some roll to tell you just before you loose it.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='435672' date='Jun 14 2007, 02:44 PM
Get them both. In the US we don't have choices like these. The Msuspension with non RF 19" wheels is a joy. Far more comfortable and grippy than without. Dynamic drive is great unless you track yor car and corner at the limit. You want some roll to tell you just before you loose it.
Need to be careful with terms.

MSport suspension.
Sport Suspension.

IIRC Dynamic Drive isn't available with MSport suspension.

ABC
Old 06-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='435676' date='Jun 14 2007, 07:03 AM
Need to be careful with terms.

MSport suspension.
Sport Suspension.

IIRC Dynamic Drive isn't available with MSport suspension.

ABC
In the US we have different options. Dynamic drive is added to an Msport suspension with the sports package on the 550.

Sport suspension is harder struts and Dynamic drive.

This is part of the confusion on an international forum. People do not post their location or model specs. There is an 07 vs 08 550 thread. One poster says that there is no difference in ride. Well it turns out he is right. In his case (he is Canadian) he had Msport suspension in 07. A US poster can argue that the difference in 07 and 08 550 ride and handling are huge. He would be right too. Only available in US as of LCI
Old 06-14-2007, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='435683' date='Jun 14 2007, 03:31 PM
In the US we have different options. Dynamic drive is added to an Msport suspension
Interesting and I appear to have learned something different to other posts on here.

Previous posts, IIRC, have indicated that MSport isn't available in the US. Of course I could be wrong.

I believe most folks in this thread so far have indicated their country of residence.

ABC
Old 06-14-2007, 06:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='435684' date='Jun 14 2007, 07:34 AM
Interesting and I appear to have learned something different to other posts on here.

Previous posts, IIRC, have indicated that MSport isn't available in the US. Of course I could be wrong.

I beleive most folks in this thread so far have indicated their country of residence.

ABC
Many do not post their location. I know this because thats the first place I look when a post has a location specific question.

Pages_from_2008_Brochure.pdf

This from the US brochure.

You may be right. What does re-tuned mean? I guess its the one and the same as the option in Canada.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Members

Which one is more confortable on bumpy roads (sport or dynamic drive)?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I have sports suspension and dynamic dirve and LOVE IT!

The sports suspension makes the car stiffer, gives you a good feel of the roads you drive, dynamic drive is excellent, espacially when driving on mountain roads through curves. Active steering perfects the handling in those curves BTW, and RFT's are helping also to let the car stay right on track.

I love the combination of AS + DD + SS + RFT's.

Quick Reply: Sportier: Dynamic Drive vs. Sport Suspension