E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SPORT Package -- does it make a big difference on 04s?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by pointerman' post='464277' date='Aug 30 2007, 03:00 PM
Yes, handling will be very different. Sports package has the active suspension system which is why it is so superior. Virtually zero body roll means you can corner much quicker.
I would like to see some real world testing of this, may be out there somewhere but have never seen it. Can a sports package equipped car really corner much quicker? Or somewhat quicker? I know the active roll aspect keeps the car level during cornering and that certainly allows quicker cornering. But really how much better can the car perform? In a non-sports package car, the feel of the body roll gives most drivers pause, likely causing them to back off in hard cornering before the car is really pushed beyond its ability. Without this body roll feel, drivers are more likely to push the car harder in cornering. Not trying to stir the hornets nest, just asking a question! Thoughts?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I agree with the rest. Sport package is awesome. Get the comfort seat instead of the sport seat though.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 1996 525 M Sport Silver Grey on Beige

Timely question. I have an MSport and borrowed my bosses standard e60 for a day yesterday. I must say the difference is very stark. That is not to say which is better that depends on what you want. But the difference is so stark it felt to me I was driving a different brand of car.

The reason is that the differences are in all the key tactile features:

Sport has:

- far firmer more bolstered seats. The standard seats are flat and softer and provide little lateral support
- sport steering wheel is significantly smaller (diamater) and fatter and gives a far different feel than larger slimmer standard wheel
- wheels, tyres and suspension on the sport provide a significantly firmer, sharper ride.

So in summary the sport feels different in your ass, different in your hands and different on the road. It feels sharper, more direct and taught. The standard model feels softer, more accomodating, more refined and more sedate. I found myself happy criusing along in the standard model, oblivious to speed and not tempted to rush. Mine makes me want to drive it fast through every corner I come to!

In the end its horses for courses. For my money and given my driving preference, I will always want/pay for a BMW MSport version.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Members

You don't want to be on the outside looking in get the sport pack if you can afford it. You won't regret it
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='464339' date='Aug 30 2007, 05:55 PM
I would like to see some real world testing of this, may be out there somewhere but have never seen it. Can a sports package equipped car really corner much quicker? Or somewhat quicker? I know the active roll aspect keeps the car level during cornering and that certainly allows quicker cornering. But really how much better can the car perform? In a non-sports package car, the feel of the body roll gives most drivers pause, likely causing them to back off in hard cornering before the car is really pushed beyond its ability. Without this body roll feel, drivers are more likely to push the car harder in cornering. Not trying to stir the hornets nest, just asking a question! Thoughts?
You're not causing problems. Body roll has a huge impact on cornering capabilities. When was the last time you saw any race car lean in a corner? The flatter the car is the more evenly spread the pressure is on all four tires. Body roll puts extra pressure on two wheels and makes the car more prone to break traction and of course increases the possibility of a roll over.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by pointerman' post='464634' date='Aug 31 2007, 02:36 PM
You're not causing problems. Body roll has a huge impact on cornering capabilities. When was the last time you saw any race car lean in a corner? The flatter the car is the more evenly spread the pressure is on all four tires. Body roll puts extra pressure on two wheels and makes the car more prone to break traction and of course increases the possibility of a roll over.
Thanks, I understand the physics of why the ARS helps the sports package cars corner better, I really just curious if it can be measured. Can a sports package equipped car take a certain corner at xx mph but a non-sports package car can only take it a yy mph? And if it can be measured, how much of an improvement is it in cornering ability? I'm not a professional driver nor are most folks buying the E60. I guess I'm really curious if the body roll I feel in my car (non-SP) causes me to think the car can't handle a corner and back off when in fact the car is really capable of handling it. And the opposite effect for those with sports package equipped cars, the lack of body roll causes drivers to push the car harder in corners. Just curious...
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: Bone stock 530i - no sports package

I drive an '04 530 non-sport and it feels like a minivan compared to my e46 sport. I just threw on $4k worth of 19' 172 style OEM rims which firmed the ride marginally, but I would still need to drop another $4k Canadian on shocks, springs and sway bars before it will handle the way I want it. An extra $8k and I still won't have the seats, AS or steering wheel!

+1 on the sport package!

I'm seriously considering an upgrade to an '06 550 sport.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

You should be able to get a decent spring strut package for less amount than the BMW option. I still run the 17 inch sport wheels with stock RFT and have the Konis with H&R I still get factory ride, minimal body roll and great cornering. I wouldnt mind the 20 ways seats though, sounds really comfortable! I have done the math and you do save a 1000 bucks. And in theory if you had the BMW option when you go to sell the car you have the "Sport Package" as an asset. So choose your poisen