E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SPORT Package -- does it make a big difference on 04s?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF you buy a pre-owned 5 series w/o sport package, can you

still do the handling uexperience with springs and wheels and bars?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

I think part of the sport package includes active steering too. If I remember correctly, it comes with the active roll stabilization, shadow trim, sport seats, 18-inch wheels and tires, and it sits lower.

You could probably get close to the same effect modding the car though but it could get expensive. Also, would you want to spend money modding the car when you might be satisfied with the stock configuration?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by vinm5' post='463439' date='Aug 28 2007, 04:05 PM
IF you buy a pre-owned 5 series w/o sport package, can you

still do the handling uexperience with springs and wheels and bars?
I believe you'll be able to put springs and change the wheels but the biggest option that the sports pack offers is the steering wheel and the sport seats. This will be your biggest obstacle. If you can deal with the regular seats then you'll be ok, but once you have sat and driven a car with the sports pack it's hard to go back.

Rick..
Old 08-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Members

sports package is a must be in a bmw else u can also drive an opel or something. or chrysler or other family car.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

Sport Package FTW! I can't stand the 'normal' seats.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by jelski' post='463454' date='Aug 28 2007, 03:40 PM
sports package is a must be in a bmw else u can also drive an opel or something. or chrysler or other family car.
Wow, it is this kind of statement that chaps my a@@!! By using your logic, either you drive the 550 or better yet the M5 or drive an opel. You either drive the best BMW offers or nothing else. Do those who drive 535's, 530's, 530d's, 520's or 520d's not enjoy the BMW engineering and handling as well? For that matter does a Touring E60 really handle as well as the sedan or does the added size take away from the experience? Blanket generalizations are absurd.

Sure the sports package offers an improved ride but the non-sports package cars handle just fine for 99% of driving that you or I will ever do. If you can afford it and want the added experience, absolutely go for it. But a stock BMW handles very well compared to the competition. For early adopters like myself (ordered car Dec 2003), the early verisons of active steering were not particularly good and AS was part of the sports package. Because of this, I passed on the sports package. The option is now vastly improved and even the older models can be improved with software updates.

As for Superhung's observation on the seats, the sports seats do add some incremental comfort but I have driven back and forth to Houston (5.5 hours each way) numerous times and find my standard seats very comfortable. The seating issue is a personal preference issue, do some extended test drives to see how you like the seats under various driving conditions.

As for the OP's question as I understand it, yes you can improve the handling of non-sports package cars with after-market springs, wheels and sway bars. Do a search, many on the forum have made such modifications. I don't think you can go back and add things like the active roll stabalization.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i

Im sick of hearing how a non-sport BMW is worthless. It isn't. I have had SP on all of my past BMW's and my current E53 and I wish that I had found a car with sport but I was looking for a car quickly and the one I found had the exact color combo and other options that I wanted. It still handles like a BMW just not as well as a SP.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

It always depends on what you want from the car. The sports package provides primarlily three things: bigger wheels, a slightly lower ride height and active roll stabilization (ARS). ARS makes the car feel like it's riding on rails through the twisties. One reviewer also believed the ride was actually softer with ARS than the non-sport version since the ARS eliminates the need for stiffer springs and anti-roll bars. If you would prefer this to a more standard suspension, then get it. Some drivers prefer the totally mechanical suspension and say it is more BMW-like. The M5 does not offer an ARS option since purists are not comfortable with it. I know what they mean because I also have an e39 and appreciate the suspension geometry and feel of that car. However, I think my e60 with the sport package handles better and prefer it over the e39. Drive and decide.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

IMO the sport package is worth searching/waiting for rather using after market springs, wheels, and bars to try replicate it.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Grey Premium Package, Sport Package, Dynamic Driving Package

I test drove a 2005 545 without sport package and then a 2004 545 with sport package ARS (In Canada, the ARS and AC are part of the dynameic drive package and is sold separately). IMHO, it's a night and day difference. I ended up with the 2004 545. If you are going to lower the car and put in aftermarket suspension pieces, then I think you will get close to the sport package. You will still be missing ARS which brings the car to a completely different level. I had a malfunction in ARS once and notice how much more leans I had in corners without ARS.

Quick Reply: SPORT Package -- does it make a big difference on 04s?