E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sport Automatic (thanks Richard In NC)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Here are additional topics on the SA from "first impressions" through more recent impressions. I think Rudy and I were one of the first two with both the SMG in March 2004, and the SA June 2008.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=43597&hl=

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=43671&hl=

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=43407&hl=

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42776&hl=

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42602&hl=

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42392&hl=
Old 01-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='523094' date='Jan 26 2008, 12:17 PM
I have noticed a rev match to downshifts when there is a large delta in RPM. It's not quite as pronounced a blip as SMG or as you can do with a manual.

Re no 6th gear in sport modes, obviously there is less punch in 6th than 5th, but I'd like the sport button to give the quicker throttle response and hold the gears longer but also to allow a 6th gear cruise, at least at speeds over 60mph. It would readily downshift to 5th if you punched it and needed the power, or using the paddles wtih the sport button on in "D" would allow a downshift or 2 to be ready for the acceleration. That's how I drove the M5 & 650i 6 speed manuals often. IE, sport mode but using all the gears, downshifting as needed. I guess I'll just use manual mode more frequently.
Richard, you may not have had the previous incarnation of the STEP, but it too only goes to 5th gear in Sport Auto (the BUTTON) or DS modes. The only way to go into and hold 6th from either the Sport Button on or from the DS mode was to row your way to M6 and it would stay there until or unless you hit downshift button on accelerator or you rowed back down to M5, M4 or whatever gear would be software acceptable for speed/RPM/gear selected. Another feature you could invoke was pressing and holding a lower gear than the EGS software would allow at the moment, but when RPMs were safe it would go to your commanded gear. I often do this when comming to full stop or lets say we were on ToD, in M4 and I knew I needed M2 in and then out of a turn. I would downshift manually to M2 and "HOLD" the shift lever in that position. It would downshift to 3rd as soon as EGS would allow (usually almost immediately) and then to 2nd as soon as EGS software would allow as well. That way I did not have to keep looking/checking gear indicator or RPM to know I would be in right gear. Reason many would comment they did not see a lot of brake light from me.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='523902' date='Jan 28 2008, 02:35 PM
Richard, you may not have had the previous incarnation of the STEP, but it too only goes to 5th gear in Sport Auto or DS modes. The only way to go into and hold 6th from either th eSport Button on or from the DS mode was to row you way to M6 and it would stay there until or unless you hit downshift button on accelerator or you rowed back down to M5, M4 or whatever gear would be software acceptable for speed/RPM/gear. Another feature you could invoke was pressing and holding a lower gear than the EGS software would allow at the moment, but when RPMs were safe it would gor to your commanded gear. I often do this when comming to full stop or lets say we were on ToD, in M4 and I knew I needed M2 in and then out of a turn. I would downshift manually to M2 and "HOLD" the shift lever in that position. It would downshift to 3rd as soon as EGS would allow (usually almost immediately) and then to 2nd as soon as EGS software would allow as well. That way I did not have to keep looking/checking gear indicator or RPM to know I would be in right gear.
I would have considered the HUD if it showed "Revs" and "gear selection" at the same time.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='523905' date='Jan 28 2008, 02:38 PM
I would have considered the HUD if it showed "Revs" and "gear selection" at the same time.
My number one desire for HUD mods for future iterations