E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sport Automatic first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pharding' post='447829' date='Jul 14 2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the well written description and beautiful photographs. The photos show why the 550 Sport looks especially beautiful in Alpine White. It highlights the wonderful contours of the body. My Carbon Black 550 Sport is in production or else I would change the color to Alpine White. The 550 Sport wheels look especially beautiful with the Alpine White. Congrats on your beautiful ride.
Thanks Paul and everyone else that's posted compliments. I must say I agree with everyone completely!

Today I drove about a hundred miles or so around town just playing and getting familiar with things. I'll try to post some of my findings as soon as possible...
Old 07-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Hey Rudy,

How did the paint job look on the new hood? I assume good or you wouldn't have taken it. Looks great! Maybe we'll have to get together one day so I check it out! Where in the 'Burgh are you anyway? I'm in Robinson.

Dave
Old 07-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Members

Rudy,

If you don't mind, can you post some comments regarding the feel of the Active Steering? I'm trying to decide this option, but there isn't a car for me to drive at the local dealer. I'm particulary interested in your comments re: steering feel while "on center" - does it provide good feedback? Also is it over boosted or does it feel right? Dd you drive a car without it? How does it compare?

Thanks,

grover
Old 07-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by grover432' post='447884' date='Jul 14 2007, 11:59 PM
Rudy,

If you don't mind, can you post some comments regarding the feel of the Active Steering? I'm trying to decide this option, but there isn't a car for me to drive at the local dealer. I'm particulary interested in your comments re: steering feel while "on center" - does it provide good feedback? Also is it over boosted or does it feel right? Dd you drive a car without it? How does it compare?

Thanks,

grover
Here's what I can say at this point but keep in mind that I plan to do a couple back to back tests between my 2004 AS equipped car and the 2008 AS equipped car before I can say anything more concrete...

When I first got AS back in April 2004, I thought it was amazing, awesome, and fantastic. I had come off of six years driving two different E39 540i six-speeds but I remember reading complaints from people about how it doesn't feel natural (especially on a race track), they were glad that the M5 didn't come with it, and they were glad it was split out from the sport package and made available as an individual option. The big complaint was that people said it didn't have that BMW feel that they were used to. I understood these comments but really didn't subscribe to the fact that it wasn't worth it. I was getting used to it and I thought it was a great feature.

Over the years, with software upgrades on the 2004 car, I think the programming for AS was refined a bit -- it became less noticeable (or I became very used to it) and I remember hearing others claim it was much better than the earlier version so I figured it had to have been improved.

What I'm noticing now, with the 2008 car, is that the steering seems lighter (or assisted more). I haven't done any lock-to-lock turning of the wheel to see if the amount of turns it takes to hit the locks have changed. All I know is that the new car does not have a twitchy, go-cart feel at slower speeds like I remember the other car had. Again, to me, at low speeds, go-cart is not such a bad thing!

I've had E60 loaner cars without AS and all I can say is it felt fine but I missed AS. I think it's really all about whatever you get used to...

Hope that helps!
Old 07-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by grover432' post='447884' date='Jul 15 2007, 04:59 AM
...Active Steering? I'm trying to decide this option...
Rememeber that Active Steering's variable ratio "power assist replacement" is but a part of the Active Steering technology.

Some seem to forget, ignore or simply be not aware of the additional advantages of this system...

...and why it's called ACTIVE steering.

ABC
Old 07-15-2007, 04:58 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Rudy,

Your car is gorgeous in White. I am finding that the interior is so much more luxurious; more wood and leather. The seats are infinitely adjustable and the back top half of the seat back folds forward, the pass side has all the same functions plus memory now. I think I can get them into a fetal position if I am feeling insecure that day. The ride is sooo much smoother. We get the same steering wheel that we got in 2004, but its the best one they have. The tail and head lights are better for many various reasons.
I like the SA, its shifts are lightening quick. Can't wait until break in period is over to explore the car at its limits...
Old 07-15-2007, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='448016' date='Jul 15 2007, 01:58 PM
...The seats are infinitely adjustable and the back top half of the seat back folds forward, the pass side has all the same functions plus memory now...
Not sure that this is an LCI feature - sounds like Comfort Seats - which ARE fantastic!..

ABC
Old 07-15-2007, 05:03 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='448017' date='Jul 15 2007, 09:01 AM
Not sure that this is an LCI feature - sounds like Comfort Seats - which ARE fantastic!..

ABC
I did not specifically order them but maybe they came with the Sports Package.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='448018' date='Jul 15 2007, 02:03 PM
I did not specifically order them but maybe they came with the Sports Package.
Indeed they do but they are called "20-way power multi-contour front seats"...

ABC
Old 07-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

You guys are right, the comfort seats are very nice (I had them in my E39) and they are included in the 550 sport package now.

I also agree that the interior refinements are nice. The steering wheel's leather wrap is less "rubbery" as well as the center console trim, etc. I will say, however, that the pre-LCI interior never bothered me that much in the first place...

Quick Reply: Sport Automatic first impressions