E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sport Automatic first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Congratulations on the new ride Rudy.A very good write up on your first impressions.I can't wait for you to get it broken in to really see how the new trans works.I expect to order a 550 with the step next year .I am specially interested if you can hold the gears indefinitly in the manual mode,and if you shift early at full throttle will the trans still not shift until redline even though you are in the manual mode.I presently have a 2004 step and it does not allow complete manual control.It will shift at redline even if I shift at 6000 rpm's.It also will shift at redline even if I don,t shift manually.

Good luck with the ride and keep us informed.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I AM STILL VERY DISAPPOINTED IN BMW FOR CANCELING THE SMG
Old 07-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='447332' date='Jul 13 2007, 11:41 AM
How does it compare to the SMG? Right now, I'm not yet sure. Here's what I found in the short time I tested it. An SMG driver will need to do some "reprogramming" of their timing to get everything to work smoothly. Just like when people transitioned from the traditional manual to the SMG, I think there is a learning curve to tackle before it feels "normal." Specifically, what I noticed was that on the downshifts, the car still felt a little like an automatic downshifting (like a parchute was deployed or an anchor was dropped) but I don't think it's as bad as a "normal" automatic. What I think was happening was that I was waiting too long to reapply the throttle after the downshift took place.

Let me explain the above a little further. On an SMG, when you downshift, the car blips the throttle before engaging the new gear to match the engine speed to the drivetrain. Once the gear is engaged, the driver would reapply the correct amount of throttle to maintain the desired speed. On the E60 SMG, there is a certain "delay" between the time you hit the paddle to downshift and the time you actually reapply the gas. On the E60 sport automatic, that delay is so much quicker that I found myself not applying the throttle soon enough to prevent the car from slowing down in the new gear. (Does that make sense to anyone else?) Again, it is an automatic so it's going to feel like an automatic more than a manual and this downshifting may end up being something I get used to or it could be that it's simply never going to perform like a true SMG. Another thing that felt funny but isn't a big deal is that I had to hold my foot on the brake at a red-light to stop the car from creeping. (Yes, it's an automatic so I expected this, it just feels strange right now.)

Excellent.. kind of what i expected from a quick analysis... Now I just need to wait till you get a few hundred miles under your belt and see how bad the parachute feeling really is...

Also what i really want to know is when in manual mode say in 5th... and you mash the gas pedal will the tranny downshift? Like sometimes when I'm in the IS i'm in 4th and dont want to downsift... but I'm a little harder on the gas then I should the car decides for me that I need to downshift and then I end up having to let off the gas and then it'll upshift again... quite annoying... I hope the new sport auto behaves like SMG.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='447500' date='Jul 13 2007, 10:00 PM
Excellent.. kind of what i expected from a quick analysis... Now I just need to wait till you get a few hundred miles under your belt and see how bad the parachute feeling really is...

Also what i really want to know is when in manual mode say in 5th... and you mash the gas pedal will the tranny downshift? Like sometimes when I'm in the IS i'm in 4th and dont want to downsift... but I'm a little harder on the gas then I should the car decides for me that I need to downshift and then I end up having to let off the gas and then it'll upshift again... quite annoying... I hope the new sport auto behaves like SMG.
I hope so too. I won't know for sure without some more playing around (likely tomorrow.) In addition to me getting a few hundred miles of practice, I'm still trying to do a proper break-in so it very tough to test some of these things right away (like will it shift at redline, etc.)

I have a business trip planned soon (maybe next week) that'll cause me to put on about 600 miles on the car in a day. After that trip, I have another one to take that'll add another 450 or so. Between the two and the random driving around I'm likely to do as I "bond" with the new car, I should be past break-in in a couple weeks.

One more thing I just thought of...I'm probably lucky that they decided to do the delivery tomorrow -- today is Friday the 13th! (Good luck to you though, pennetta!! )
Old 07-14-2007, 12:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='447332' date='Jul 13 2007, 07:41 PM
Okay everyone, my actual delivery is going to end up being tomorrow
Not Friday 13th then, but Bastille Day!! Flags out in France for Rudy...

ABC
Old 07-14-2007, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

Interesting.
Did you try downshifting without lifting the throttle?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by BMW#6' post='447645' date='Jul 14 2007, 10:32 AM
Interesting.
Did you try downshifting without lifting the throttle?
Yes. I'm still figuring things out but had a chance to do some more driving this morning after finally taking delivery.

I think I need to go out some more after lunch but suffice it to say that there is a different feel to the gas pedal -- I can only describe it as EBMCS03 does -- it's a little "spongy." Part of it might be just what I'm used to with the SMG so again, I don't want to draw too many conclusions without some more stick time (no pun intended...)

Here's a couple more quickies:

Sport Automatic first impressions-184_8482.jpg

Sport Automatic first impressions-185_8505.jpg

Sport Automatic first impressions-185_8532.jpg

Sport Automatic first impressions-185_8534.jpg
Old 07-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Excellent start on your analysis and comparison/contrast. Will be eagerly watching follow ups.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='447347' date='Jul 13 2007, 03:03 PM
In manual mode, the Steptronic will never upshift unless you either redline or request it. In sport and automatic mode I am pretty sure the computer will hold off doing an up or downshift if the steering angle is significant.
As far as e60/e63 STEPS shifting on curves gwf545 is spot on. Lots of high speed curves on Cherohala Skyway and of course much sharper curves on ToD. I control all shifts in my STEP, except for redline and I have never observed auto shifting on any curves when I was in DS or D. Its not just steering angle but the lateral sensors also contribute to this inhibition.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Thanks for the well written description and beautiful photographs. The photos show why the 550 Sport looks especially beautiful in Alpine White. It highlights the wonderful contours of the body. My Carbon Black 550 Sport is in production or else I would change the color to Alpine White. The 550 Sport wheels look especially beautiful with the Alpine White. Congrats on your beautiful ride.

Quick Reply: Sport Automatic first impressions