E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Spinning iDrive controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 06:08 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by rmcd' date='Jul 26 2005, 08:49 PM
[quote name='Me2002' date='Jul 26 2005, 08:40 PM']The spinning controller is a known software problem.? The dealer should definitely do a software upgrade.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=13746

[snapback]153404[/snapback]
Beauty. Thanks a bunch.

Hmm - I'll do a little test of the dealers service people. Let's see if they figure it by - say - close of business tomorrow. I'm confident that they will.

Regardless of the BMW I buy, I'd delighted to know this forum is here. This is fabulous.

Cheers.
[snapback]153405[/snapback]
[/quote]

Update - the dealer replaced the central computer unit bringing the software up to 18. I would have thought they would just update the software.

The dealer also explained all the service calls done in 2004. There was one where the steeringn rack was replaced. There was one on brake noises. All the rest (vast majority) were interior squeaks and rattles. I didn't notice any when I test drove the car. Other posts gave me the part numbers for new seals (yellow dots on the seals) so I'll look for those when I give the car one last, long test drive to listen for the squeaks.

I'll do one last post on my decision to buy this 530i or not. My alternative (in the same price range) is a new 330i (with iDrive, nav, sport package, etc). But I so want the 530i.

Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

The spinning I-Drive controller was a new one for me..

If I were you I would also consider a 330i.. I drove a 320i last week and the car is a blast! More nimble and sporty then my 530i and it made me wonder if I would have gotten a 530i if the new 330i was already out last year..
Old 07-28-2005, 07:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545A Dynamic Drive Pkg (Active Steering; Active Stabilization) Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, CD Changer, Rain sensor wipers, Red Rear reflectors

Originally Posted by rmcd' date='Jul 28 2005, 08:08 AM
[quote name='rmcd' date='Jul 26 2005, 08:49 PM'][quote name='Me2002' date='Jul 26 2005, 08:40 PM']The spinning controller is a known software problem.? The dealer should definitely do a software upgrade.

Beauty. Thanks a bunch.

Hmm - I'll do a little test of the dealers service people. Let's see if they figure it by - say - close of business tomorrow. I'm confident that they will.

Regardless of the BMW I buy, I'd delighted to know this forum is here. This is fabulous.

Cheers.
[/quote]

Update - the dealer replaced the central computer unit bringing the software up to 18. I would have thought they would just update the software.

The dealer also explained all the service calls done in 2004. There was one where the steeringn rack was replaced. There was one on brake noises. All the rest (vast majority) were interior squeaks and rattles. I didn't notice any when I test drove the car. Other posts gave me the part numbers for new seals (yellow dots on the seals) so I'll look for those when I give the car one last, long test drive to listen for the squeaks.

I'll do one last post on my decision to buy this 530i or not. My alternative (in the same price range) is a new 330i (with iDrive, nav, sport package, etc). But I so want the 530i.

Thanks again.
[snapback]153967[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which dealer do you goto ?? I'm interested because they have ver. 18.1

thanks
Old 07-28-2005, 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by rmcd' date='Jul 28 2005, 08:08 AM

Thanks again.
Just an FYI rmcd, I've had the new seals done and the yellow dots must be on the underside where they are not visible after installation. None are visible on my seals.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 550745540

rmcd, earlier this year I was given a 530i without sport pak and had auto tranny. I thought I was not going to like the car both for the underpowered engine and auto. But after a day of driving it I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't as slow as I thought it would be and the auto (at least in DS and manual mode) was pretty good. It had good throttle response and plenty of pickup.

In other words, if you're happy with car, go for it.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by rmcd' date='Jul 26 2005, 07:54 PM
I'm about to buy a used 2004 530i here in Canada. Software level is unknown.

While taking it on a test drive today, the iDrive controller started spinning all on it's own.? It would spin very, very quickly. Occasionally, it would stop and then reverse for a bit and then start again. My wife said it reminded her of a prop in a bad sci-fi movie. Poor sales guy didn't have a clue of what to say.

I'm interested in the car as it has most of the features I'd like but this scares me a little.

Has anyone seen this before?

Also, the car was in about once every 6 weeks for some kind of service during it's first 8 months life. Comments.

Thanks.
[snapback]153388[/snapback]

BE AFRAID. BE VERY AFRAID.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by yogibear458' date='Jul 28 2005, 10:09 AM
[quote name='rmcd' date='Jul 28 2005, 08:08 AM'][quote name='rmcd' date='Jul 26 2005, 08:49 PM'][quote name='Me2002' date='Jul 26 2005, 08:40 PM']The spinning controller is a known software problem.? The dealer should definitely do a software upgrade.

Beauty. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers.
[/quote]

Thanks again.
[/quote]

Which dealer do you goto ?? I'm interested because they have ver. 18.1

thanks
[snapback]153981[/snapback]
[/quote]

Whoops. What I typed was "...software up to 18. I would have thought...". The 18.1 you saw was really "18" followed by ". I". Sorry to get you excited.

Test drive for squeaks is tomorrow. Thanks for the info about the seal markings being hidden. I noticed today in the showroom that the seals on the 330 feel a little different than those on the 530.

The new 330i is still a possibility. I've got a tentative appointment to test drive a couple of 330s (with and without sports package) on Saturday. Even though I like it, I'd like a slightly larger car. Luckily, my bride agrees that I need a little more space and I'm ok with the handling of the 530i.

I very much appreciate the guidance as I go through this process.

Cheers
Old 07-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by joebel' date='Jul 28 2005, 11:30 AM
rmcd, earlier this year I was given a 530i without sport pak and had auto tranny. I thought I was not going to like the car both for the underpowered engine and auto. But after a day of driving it I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't as slow as I thought it would be and the auto (at least in DS and manual mode) was pretty good. It had good throttle response and plenty of pickup.

In other words, if you're happy with car, go for it.
[snapback]153997[/snapback]

Last entry for now. I stopped by the dealership today for a final test drive to check the rattles and the iDrive. Sales guy sent me off with one of the porters - "take your time, check it out as much as you want". There are no problems with the car. It's perfect. Got back to the dealership to find a distressed sales guy. Some other salesman sold the car.

I was ready. I wanted that car. I'm bitterly, bitterly disappointed.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll keep looking for that perfect 5 series that I can afford. See you all again soon.

Cheers.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i , ED June 27th, Awaiting Redelivery

Originally Posted by rmcd' date='Jul 29 2005, 02:32 PM

Last entry for now. I stopped by the dealership today for a final test drive to check the rattles and the iDrive. Sales guy sent me off with one of the porters - "take your time, check it out as much as you want". There are no problems with the car. It's perfect. Got back to the dealership to find a distressed sales guy. Some other salesman sold the car.

I was ready. I wanted that car. I'm bitterly, bitterly disappointed.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll keep looking for that perfect 5 series that I can afford.? See you all again soon.

Cheers.?
[snapback]154390[/snapback]

Man thats a bummer. Hope you find another one soon!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Members

I wish mine spun... Maybe they could make it an option in the iDrive menu. Would be nice for scaring people.

Quick Reply: Spinning iDrive controller