E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Spinning iDrive controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

I'm about to buy a used 2004 530i here in Canada. Software level is unknown.

While taking it on a test drive today, the iDrive controller started spinning all on it's own. It would spin very, very quickly. Occasionally, it would stop and then reverse for a bit and then start again. My wife said it reminded her of a prop in a bad sci-fi movie. Poor sales guy didn't have a clue of what to say.

I'm interested in the car as it has most of the features I'd like but this scares me a little.

Has anyone seen this before?

Also, the car was in about once every 6 weeks for some kind of service during it's first 8 months life. Comments.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 550745540

Originally Posted by rmcd' date='Jul 26 2005, 07:54 PM
I'm about to buy a used 2004 530i here in Canada. Software level is unknown.

While taking it on a test drive today, the iDrive controller started spinning all on it's own.? It would spin very, very quickly. Occasionally, it would stop and then reverse for a bit and then start again. My wife said it reminded her of a prop in a bad sci-fi movie. Poor sales guy didn't have a clue of what to say.

I'm interested in the car as it has most of the features I'd like but this scares me a little.

Also, the car was in about once every 6 weeks for some kind of service during it's first 8 months life. Comments.

Thanks.
[snapback]153388[/snapback]
I assume it's from a BMW dealer. If so, is it CPO? If not, I would stay away. I think there is a history of some 7's and 5's with software issues. My opinion is that most cars are fine. But if you find a lemon, stay away.

From what you describe, it doesn't sound too good. While it may be tempting, it may be best to pass on this one.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by joebel' date='Jul 26 2005, 07:17 PM
[quote name='rmcd' date='Jul 26 2005, 07:54 PM']I'm about to buy a used 2004 530i here in Canada. Software level is unknown.

While taking it on a test drive today, the iDrive controller started spinning all on it's own.? It would spin very, very quickly. Occasionally, it would stop and then reverse for a bit and then start again. My wife said it reminded her of a prop in a bad sci-fi movie. Poor sales guy didn't have a clue of what to say.

Thanks.
[snapback]153388[/snapback]
I assume it's from a BMW dealer. If so, is it CPO? If not, I would stay away. I think there is a history of some 7's and 5's with software issues. My opinion is that most cars are fine. But if you find a lemon, stay away.

From what you describe, it doesn't sound too good. While it may be tempting, it may be best to pass on this one.
[snapback]153391[/snapback]
[/quote]

Joe;

I'm really sorry..... what does "CPO" mean? Other posts imply something like an extended warrenty. It is what they call "Certified Series".

Interestingly, it's here in Toronto.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Wow, I wonder what haptic profile the "possessed, spinning knob" belongs to?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

ok this e60 comes with a gyroscope.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by rmcd' date='Jul 26 2005, 06:47 PM
Joe;

I'm really sorry..... what does "CPO" mean? Other posts imply something like an extended warrenty. It is what they call "Certified Series".

Cheers
[snapback]153394[/snapback]
Not familiar w/ Canadian terminology, but in the US, CPO = Certified Pre-Owned. a special program where the warranty is extended on a clean, good used model and resold. Sounds like your Certified Series might be a similar program. But I have to agree w/ the first response, having an 8 month old car returned after having been in for service every 6 weeks of ownership does sound like a lemon. I'd stay away from this one.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Jul 26 2005, 08:03 PM
[quote name='rmcd' date='Jul 26 2005, 06:47 PM']Joe;

Cheers
[snapback]153394[/snapback]
Not familiar w/ Canadian terminology, but in the US, CPO = Certified Pre-Owned. a special program where the warranty is extended on a clean, good used model and resold. Sounds like your Certified Series might be a similar program. But I have to agree w/ the first response, having an 8 month old car returned after having been in for service every 6 weeks of ownership does sound like a lemon. I'd stay away from this one.
[snapback]153397[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for the points and thoughts. I love the idea of the gyroscope. I'll give that one to the poor sales guy.

CPO does sound very much like the Certified Series. Different mix of features but similar.

To be truthful, the car is 14 months old (May 25, 04). It hasn't been in for service since Dec 01/04. Service dates were 06/18, 09/08, 10/18, 12/01. There was a claim for July, but just noticed that it's typo and actually happen on 06/18.

Is there a site with all the defect codes?

Thanks for all the good thoughts.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i , ED June 27th, Awaiting Redelivery

The spinning controller is a known software problem. The dealer should definitely do a software upgrade.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=13746

Old 07-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Me2002' date='Jul 26 2005, 08:40 PM
The spinning controller is a known software problem.? The dealer should definitely do a software upgrade.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=13746

[snapback]153404[/snapback]
Beauty. Thanks a bunch.

Hmm - I'll do a little test of the dealers service people. Let's see if they figure it by - say - close of business tomorrow. I'm confident that they will.

Regardless of the BMW I buy, I'd delighted to know this forum is here. This is fabulous.

Cheers.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 550745540

CPO is same in Canada as US.

Sounds like the vehicle is still under warranty. Try getting the dealer to apply all software fixes to car BEFORE and then test drive again.

Bottom line, you should not buy unless any and all issues are resolved before you sign.

Quick Reply: Spinning iDrive controller