E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Speedometer not accurate

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='750091' date='Dec 21 2008, 06:29 PM
I don't really disagree with what you're saying.... but I think it's more than this (i.e., the American litigiousness...). If that's all it was, you'd see ALL manufacturers doing the same things with their speedo's, but most do not opt for the 2-3mph at 60. But several German and Scandanavian manufacturers do, and as I said earlier I have read somewhere that there is a regulatory reason for this.... Can't verify it, and can't really remember where I read this, but maybe someone from the continent will embellish.

Cal
BMW sets them for all areas of the world the same in this case. It is more for their home market than the US. But the basic reason is still all the same. NOt to be held liable. You may also remember that BMW does not recomend greater than 3% over size on tires for this reason as well so that the speedometer does not come down to "dead on"
Old 12-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='750031' date='Dec 21 2008, 04:26 PM
I can't believe there were so many posts in this thread without one person yet stating why the speedometers are **ALL** inaccurate.

ALL speedometers are inherently inaccurate. It's a very difficult task to display the correct speed at all speeds. You're either 100% accurate around low speeds like 30mph, or you get mid-range speeds like 90mph right, or you get the upper speeds like 150mph right. No speedometer has ever been fully accurate at all of them.

So, with speedometers being basically inaccurate to some extent, what's a manufacturer to do? They only have one option and that's to tune the speedometer so that it under-reads by a couple or three mph. The result of doing that is that you'll get a range of inaccuracy of between 0mph and perhaps as much as 5mph, but it will ALWAYS be under reading.

Imagine the situation where they weren't under-reading. You look at your speedometer and it's showing 55mph and you're in a 55mph zone, and you get a speeding ticket for doing 57mph. How quickly will the American lawyers be all over that and suing the car manufacturers? Oh you bet there'll be a lot of class action law suits, especially in America where two thirds of all the lawyers in the world live (to service 5% of the world's population).

Simple fact about it is, speedometers are inaccurate generally, and car manufacturers adjust them to under-read because nobody can sue them for displaying 55mph when you're actually driving only 52mph.

The person who said their speedometer was spot on accurate, try it at lower and higher speeds and you'll find it under reading. You must have found a lucky sweet spot where it matched the GPS speed. If BMW were to notice it, they'd adjust it to under read a bit more for you

Whenever I'm setting my cruise control on a stretch of road with a high risk of mobile police radar guns appearing, I always add an extra few km/h for speedometer inaccuracy.
Well most manufacturers no longer have to live with inaccurate speedometers IF they didn't want to. When I compared the BMW speedo it was with the built in vehicle GPS (as well aftermarket GPS system and an accelerometer system) now available in every car BMW makes. As they have already demonstrated with their odometer algorithms BMW could drive the speedometer from the GPS derived speed measurements. Although not as instantaneous as the sensors now in use an easy algorithm to interpolate between GPS measurements. BTW, there are several "true" measurements available in the hidden menues and these have been posted previously in other threads. I'm just too lazy to point these out right now.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='750031' date='Dec 21 2008, 04:26 PM
I can't believe there were so many posts in this thread without one person yet stating why the speedometers are **ALL** inaccurate.

ALL speedometers are inherently inaccurate. It's a very difficult task to display the correct speed at all speeds. You're either 100% accurate around low speeds like 30mph, or you get mid-range speeds like 90mph right, or you get the upper speeds like 150mph right. No speedometer has ever been fully accurate at all of them.

So, with speedometers being basically inaccurate to some extent, what's a manufacturer to do? They only have one option and that's to tune the speedometer so that it under-reads by a couple or three mph. The result of doing that is that you'll get a range of inaccuracy of between 0mph and perhaps as much as 5mph, but it will ALWAYS be under reading.

Imagine the situation where they weren't under-reading. You look at your speedometer and it's showing 55mph and you're in a 55mph zone, and you get a speeding ticket for doing 57mph. How quickly will the American lawyers be all over that and suing the car manufacturers? Oh you bet there'll be a lot of class action law suits, especially in America where two thirds of all the lawyers in the world live (to service 5% of the world's population).

Simple fact about it is, speedometers are inaccurate generally, and car manufacturers adjust them to under-read because nobody can sue them for displaying 55mph when you're actually driving only 52mph.

The person who said their speedometer was spot on accurate, try it at lower and higher speeds and you'll find it under reading. You must have found a lucky sweet spot where it matched the GPS speed. If BMW were to notice it, they'd adjust it to under read a bit more for you

Whenever I'm setting my cruise control on a stretch of road with a high risk of mobile police radar guns appearing, I always add an extra few km/h for speedometer inaccuracy.
Well manufacturers no longer have to live with inaccurate speedometers IF they did not want to. When I compared the BMW speedo it was with the built in vehicle GPS now available in every car BMW makes (I also used an aftermarket GPS system and an accelerometer system for additional accuracy and comparison). As they have already demonstrated with their odometer algorithms they could drive the speedometer from the GPS derived speed. Although not as instantaneous as the sensors now in use an easy algorithm to interpolate between GPS measurements could easily be implemented.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue Metallic, Premium Sound, Cold Weather Package

It may be over 6 years old, but this article from Car and Driver lends some insight into speedo numbers.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li...eature/(page)/1
Old 12-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by audit5050' post='750255' date='Dec 22 2008, 07:15 AM
It may be over 6 years old, but this article from Car and Driver lends some insight into speedo numbers.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li...eature/(page)/1
The key part from that article being:

"The European regulation, ECE-R 39, is more concise, stating essentially that the speed indicated must never be lower than the true speed or higher by more than one-tenth of true speed plus four kilometers per hour (79.5 mph at a true 70). Never low."

To meet this rule of never indicating lower than actual speed, and accounting for the inaccuracy of speedometers generally (even if they're a lot more accurate these days), you simply have to under-read.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

i drive with the flow of traffic i dont think 3 mph is a big deal im sure it could be the angle that you look at the needle
Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='750271' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:52 PM
The key part from that article being:

"The European regulation, ECE-R 39, is more concise, stating essentially that the speed indicated must never be lower than the true speed or higher by more than one-tenth of true speed plus four kilometers per hour (79.5 mph at a true 70). Never low."

To meet this rule of never indicating lower than actual speed, and accounting for the inaccuracy of speedometers generally (even if they're a lot more accurate these days), you simply have to under-read.
Hey, thanks for digging that out for us, I knew there was something of a regulatory nature.
Cal
Old 12-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I did the comparison of the odometer with the mileage on the GPS, this morning. I drove exactly 20 miles according to the GPS and the odometer was also a match at 20 miles even though my speed was off by three miles the entire way. I don't know how they do it, but the mileage recorded on the speedmeter does not correlate to the actual mileage recorded on the odometer. The mileage recorded on the odometer is therefore accurate. I guess this is good enough for me.....
Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I guess this is good enough for me.

+1

The speedo accuracy thing is much ado about nothing...

Merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='750615' date='Dec 22 2008, 08:52 PM
I did the comparison of the odometer with the mileage on the GPS, this morning. I drove exactly 20 miles according to the GPS and the odometer was also a match at 20 miles even though my speed was off by three miles the entire way. I don't know how they do it
They only have to offset the needle a millimetre or two to achieve the visual under-reading of the speed. Like you said, it wouldn't affect anything else.

Quick Reply: Speedometer not accurate