E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

speedo to read Mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='725311' date='Nov 19 2008, 01:37 PM

Old 11-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the iDrive's main menu, press the controller down to access the "i" menu and choose "units". When selected in mph, speed should be displayed in the information display.

BTW, having HUD rocks
Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='725580' date='Nov 19 2008, 11:37 PM
In the iDrive's main menu, press the controller down to access the "i" menu and choose "units". When selected in mph, speed should be displayed in the information display.

BTW, having HUD rocks
Really? Where does it display? Where the date/time normally is? Where the trip-computer normally displays (e.g. miles->refuel or mpg) ? Is this turning it on permanently? Or only while the "i" menu remains visible. I'd try it myself but I can't access my car until tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='725310' date='Nov 19 2008, 12:37 PM
can you not access this through the idrive?
i thought you could change the values in the onboard computer part?
failing that get a cheap sat nav (tom tom type) that will display mph.

good luck.
+1 and let me know if you're interested in a TomTom GPS, I've got a couple I'm trying to sell (510 model with up to date maps).
Old 11-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

all good advice............prob just look at at the car data when I change the units to Mph. I do have a an external GPS and probably would work too. You would think with all the features we have, this should've been a priority.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='725379
I'd like to get this speed in mph displayed also. I tried what you suggested and changing from km to miles in the units option doesn't add the ability to display the current speed in mph. All it does is change the distance-to-refuelling to miles and anything else that uses km to use miles. There's still no current speed in mph display option. Or am I too dumb to find it (this could easily be the case). Here's some pics I just took. First one is of the options available in the units menu, then I cycled through the computer display modes and took a pic of each. No mph (or kmh either) available.

Average speed since I last reset it (a few weeks ago):

Distance until fuel runs out:

Fuel consumption:
Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Changing the settings in your iDrive will show you non-metric measures in your on-board computer, but will not change anything on your speedo dial at all - you are not going to get a current reading in mph. I have simply memorised the approximate translation of a couple of key speeds so they are always in my head when I head over to the UK for example (of course, I have been "lucky" in the sense that I first learned to drive in a country that was in the process of going metric at the time, so we had to know both).

Here are the key ones I keep in my head (bear in mind that these are approximations - the real rate is 1.602km to 1 mile):

30mph ~ 50km/h
50mph ~ 80km/h
70mph ~ 115km/h
80mph ~ 130km/h
100mph ~ 160km/h

Short of actually changing your dash or getting an aftermarket GPS, I'd reckon this is the way to go.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='726252
I have simply memorised the approximate translation of a couple of key speeds so they are always in my head when I head over to the UK for example
Yeah, me too. I've been back and forth between UK and Germany for the last 15 years with UK (mph) cars in Europe, and Europe (kmh) cars in UK. I have those speed you listed and more engraved in my brain. On the other hand though, if the option to display a digital readout of your speed in MPH while the speedo dial shows KMH I find quite appealing. We all know it can be done with GPS (via an idrive hidden screen somewhere, or by an external GPS device like my Nokia N95 phone), but having it right in the middle of the speedo and rev counter while still being able to use the iDrive for navigation maps is extremely appealing.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

Huh, I thought that if you change the units from "km" to "mph" it would show the current speed in mph. I have HUD and if I change the units, it shows mph on the HUD. I thought that it would show on the information menu as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

it still cant get over why a car thats expensive and luxurious as a BMW would not have this option. I had to take my car in for service one day and the dealer gave me a loaner car, it was a Buick Regal. The speedo on that car only had one set of numbers and was showing Kmh. I started to fiddle around with all the buttons and picked Mph for all the readings, the Kmh on the speedo disappeared and Mph appeared. I started to go and it was reading Mph intead. Light bulb went off in my head and thought there would be a similar function on our cars but came to find out there is not.

Quick Reply: speedo to read Mph