E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Speeding in the US

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i, jet black/black dakota, sport package, steptronic, L7, comfort access, rear sunshade, front heated seats, navigation, satellite radio also have 2006 Dodge Sprinter

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='391626' date='Feb 14 2007, 03:49 PM
There is a new law in California. If you pass 100mph, you go to jail.
yep you're right. i got a ticket back in november for going 99mph. it was about 5 in the morning, so i think the cop dropped it down to 99 so he didn't have to deal with towing my car and bringing me to jail.

the ticket ouch

anyway about speeding in california.....everyone does it. just don't weave in and out of traffic. don't be the fastest one on the road. and get a radar detector. you'll be good.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='391633' date='Feb 14 2007, 03:58 PM
And don't forget that the roads in the US are mostly not in European conditions.
The surface is very often other than what we have over here, and there is a lot of stuff on the road that isn't supposed to be there. A blown tire happens very often in the US, but over here...
That's right. On many highways pavement is concrete, not asphalt. It is not very pleasant to drive fast on it. As for speeding, police will bust you hard if you get caught in school zone or in a small town doing 40mph on 25mph. So be nice - it is a school zone after all. Highway more tolerant, everybory routinely go 5-10 mph over, you simply need to stay alert. Get radar detector, look around. Don't speed if there is a cop car behind you
Old 02-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

100 mph and more is considered "criminal speeding" here. plus if you get caught racing its not a ticket anymore. its straight to jail. according to the new law, its only allowed for 3 - 5 mph over the designated speed limit, but cops lay off and dont enforce that most of the time.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='391674' date='Feb 14 2007, 05:55 PM
100 mph and more is considered "criminal speeding" here. plus if you get caught racing its not a ticket anymore. its straight to jail. according to the new law, its only allowed for 3 - 5 mph over the designated speed limit, but cops lay off and dont enforce that most of the time.
I think enforcing 7 mph over is difficult since a) Car speedometer may not be precise b) wheels may be of slightly different diameter or not inflated properly so driver sees different speed ad the speedo and c) when using cruise control speed can vary, especially going downhill.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Destiny,

You have no idea about the roads here. Imagine travelling over 120mph and suddenly having your car airborne. We have the some of the worse pavement in the country. It doesn't matter how well you drive or how good your car is.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Destiny' post='391613' date='Feb 14 2007, 11:16 PM
... setting the cruise control to 100mph can worst case get you a fine but you will be able to keep your license, even when you get caught 10 times a day... they don't keep any record of speeding tickets below 100mph.
In UK, three occasions in three years of being caught exceeding the local speed limit by more than 6mph will give you a $120 fine each time and will cause you to lose your license for a few weeks (on the rist occasion).

Exceeding the speed limit by 30mph or more in ANY area will cause you to have to appear in court and you will lose your licence for a duration.

Be grateful for what you've got!

ABC
Old 02-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i - titanium grey/blk/anthracite, Nav, SMG, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, HUD, moonroof, heated steering, xenon active lighting, Dakota leather, power all.

Watch out for the cops on I15 going to Las Vegas :thumbsdown: I got popped for doin 118mph last year at 2am with no traffic at all. The cops had already pulled a Lexus GS450 to the side for a ticket and I passing on thru (trying to slow down as best as I can ). The cop that was stand out side the vehicle, left his partner and proceeded to chase me down.....man was he one pissed of mofo when he pull me over. Anyways, I tried to plee not guilty in the hopes that he will not show. I even tried calling a lawyer, but in CA a speed over 100mph is considered reckless driving and carry a 2pt moving violation...simular to a DUI :'( . Anyhow these lawyers wanted $3000 upfront to fight the case, no guarteed or money back if they do not win....but they stated a 98% chance of winning. I took my chances, appeared in court and sure enough the cop did show. Keep in mind this is my first ticket in 12years and the judge was a prick to everyone whom appeared in front of him. Unfortunately, I was found guilty and was given a $1600 fine along with a 2point DMV record. Now I am in the process of getting new insurance, due to my old one kick me off the policy. Man I sure learned my lesson, drive safe and carry a good radar detector!!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='391633
Destiny,

You have no idea about the roads here. Imagine travelling over 120mph and suddenly having your car airborne. We have the some of the worse pavement in the country. It doesn't matter how well you drive or how good your car is.
My guess is that Destiny is quite used to less-than-perfect roads. The roads in Belgium are not 'typical' European roads; as compared to Germany and the Netherlands, they are in poor condition. Concrete blocks instead of asphalt are not uncommon and stuff that literally fell of the wagon may remain on the hard shoulder for months. Yes, I live in Belgium.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by boukehj' post='392146' date='Feb 16 2007, 09:58 AM
My guess is that Destiny is quite used to less-than-perfect roads. The roads in Belgium are not 'typical' European roads; as compared to Germany and the Netherlands, they are in poor condition. Concrete blocks instead of asphalt are not uncommon and stuff that literally fell of the wagon may remain on the hard shoulder for months. Yes, I live in Belgium.
Boukehj

You're so right. Highways in Belgium are sometimes in terrible condition... I know for a fact that they tear down so fast because constructors are picked on lowest pricing and they love to screw up so they can do it all over again the year after.
In Belgium you can drive 100mph without any danger of taking off and most of the time 150mph shoulnd't be a problem if you're familiar with that particular highway and the damage to it that can get your car airborne (only a few spots as far as I know, so reasonable)
Compared to Germany... well, that's an other story, it's the same comparison like the Belgian roads to the ones you typically find in the Dominican Republic... I've seen them and it's a miracle people have some life expectancy over there.

So, to be brief... as Boukehj said, I know what bad roads are... don't worry, I know how to handle them at high speeds... begin alert is the main message!
Old 02-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JTrizzo' post='392137' date='Feb 16 2007, 09:11 AM
Watch out for the cops on I15 going to Las Vegas :thumbsdown: I got popped for doin 118mph last year at 2am with no traffic at all. The cops had already pulled a Lexus GS450 to the side for a ticket and I passing on thru (trying to slow down as best as I can ). The cop that was stand out side the vehicle, left his partner and proceeded to chase me down.....man was he one pissed of mofo when he pull me over. Anyways, I tried to plee not guilty in the hopes that he will not show. I even tried calling a lawyer, but in CA a speed over 100mph is considered reckless driving and carry a 2pt moving violation...simular to a DUI :'( . Anyhow these lawyers wanted $3000 upfront to fight the case, no guarteed or money back if they do not win....but they stated a 98% chance of winning. I took my chances, appeared in court and sure enough the cop did show. Keep in mind this is my first ticket in 12years and the judge was a prick to everyone whom appeared in front of him. Unfortunately, I was found guilty and was given a $1600 fine along with a 2point DMV record. Now I am in the process of getting new insurance, due to my old one kick me off the policy. Man I sure learned my lesson, drive safe and carry a good radar detector!!

Feel sorry for what happened to you... but to be honest... 118mph is not slow. If you do that in Belgium you will loose your license for like a month or so (if it's the first offence) and pay a fine of about $ 700... A lot cheaper but also not a bargain.

btw, being caught with a radar detector here can cost you your car... in a specific region (Dendermonde) we have a judge that should be hung in public since for driving too fast he will slap you harder than some other judges would for murder 1
One guy with a BMW X5 lost his car that way and is now fighting it at a european supreme court, I hope he wins and the judge gets killed by one of his victims one day! I'm not joking!

FYI: there is a undetectable radar detector on the market that can be cleared of any proof of radar detection with the push of 2 buttons... not cheap but neither is loosing a car

Quick Reply: Speeding in the US