E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SPEEDING - Got a ticket for 68 in a 30

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by goodman' post='832491' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:49 AM
You are charged with 38 mph over the limit. You argued with the cop. You absolutely need a good, local lawyer.
I agree. You should absolutely hire a local lawyer who is known and respected in the courthouse where you are charged.

Arguing with the police is never a good idea -- no matter how stupid or wrong you think they are. Most cops I know do not like challenges to their authority or credibility. When you argue with them, the bad ones will make up more reasons to get you.

In the future, swallow your pride and do your talking in front of the judge as there is no point in "reasoning" with a police officer whose job it is to give out as many tickets and fines as possible.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Members

Thanks for all the input.
I'm a bit preoccupied as I get ready to take the GMAT, but these are some interesting suggestions that I will look into.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by KCooke82' post='834218' date='Apr 2 2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the input.
I'm a bit preoccupied as I get ready to take the GMAT, but these are some interesting suggestions that I will look into.
I feel for you. That test sucks. GL!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by KCooke82' post='831718' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:01 PM
Looks like the cheapest engine upgrade might end up being pretty costly! It all started when I removed my charcoal filter...

I decided to give it a test last night on a great cruising road in a small NH town where my parents live. Wow...the engine is so much smoother. I couldn't help bringing it up to about 70 before coming around a bend and noticing head lights in the distance. Since police love patrolling this road because it's so easy to speed (limit should be 40, not 30), I decided to start slowing down just in case. As I got closer to the oncoming car, which had just come up over the oncoming down hill, I first noticed that he was slowing down, as if to take a right into a driveway. Then I noticed the familiar pattern of crown victory lights. Sure enough, it was a cop. Either he was about to park and set a trap or slowed as he saw me approaching at a high speed and was fumbling to turn on his radar. Meanwhile, I was trying hard to slow down at an even pace in order to prevent my front suspension from dipping. The distance covered from start to finish was approximately a 10th of a mile, and when he finally clocked me there were only 20 yards between our cars. When my radar went off (valentine 1, mounted next to my rear view mirror for maximum reception), I glanced at my speed, noted it was approximately 45 (phew), and looked up in time to see him flash his blue lights as he quickly turned around behind me as I passed. I instincitvely pulled over...and you could say that it was obvious I knew I was screwed.

Regardless, I played dumb. He asked me what the rush was, and I said no rush, just starting I long drive back to NYC after visiting my parents, which was true. He stared at me as if I was dumb, and then told me that he clocked me at 68, then 55, then 47, which was enough over the speed limit to warrant an arrest. This of course sent up a red flag because my Valentine 1 has never failed to go off when getting clocked, and it only went off once at the last minute. Nevertheless, I wasn't about to bring this up right away. I was very polite and said that when I saw the oncoming headlights, it made me realize that I was carrying too much speed and I started to slow. "When I realized it was a police car. I looked down and saw that I was doing about 42. I really don't think I was travelling that fast beforehand." I said my driving record has been clean for over 6 years and if I could have a warning. He practically laughed, stating my high speed and damp road conditions, then asked for my license and registration. When he came back, he handed me a court summons and noted on the ticket that he clocked me by radar at 68. Seeing this, I said: "I am not questioning you, but I have a hard time accepting that I was doing 68 when I saw 42. Do you have the 3 speeds on your radar gun?" He said yes, so I then said that when I bought the car used, it happened to come with a factory installed radar detector (a bit of a white lie). He cut me off: "Yea, well radar detectors don't work when I keep my gun off up until I clock you". Thanks for stating the obvious! If his gun was on, he would have had me at a much higher speed. "I understood that, but my detecter only went off once, at which point I glanced down at my speedometer and noted my speed to be about 42. I realize I was probably going a littler fast than that before I slowed, but 68? I don't think I was going that fast."

At this point, we were both cordial, but I think he had enough, and said that if I had any questions I can ask them in court. Well, I couldn't wait that long, so shortly after I got on my way, I called the station. Being a small town, I was actually put on the phone with the same officer. I said that I regretted not persisting to see his gun as I still can't fathom doing 68. He said that there were a number of reasons they don't show their gun speeds, and that if I still want to talk about it we can do so in court. Speaking of which, I asked what the implications were if I was found guilty. Maximum fine is $1,200 and 30 day suspension! Yikes.
So now it's his word against mine! Why can't I see the gun? Perhaps individual states have different laws? But what other leg do I have to stand on? If he noted that he "ESTIMATED" my speed to be about 65, that would be another story. But he would have been too far away and didn't have a clear view of my car due to the surroundings and changes in elevation. Not to mention he was driving and it was at night.
Instead, he made up a speed. It's kind of ironic that it's over double the legal limit, requiring a court appearence even if I plead. He's probably loving the fact that I have to drive up from NYC to appear. Factor in that I'm 26, driving a black BMW, with out of state plates. The perfect recipe for disaster.

Any advice? I realize I was speeding but it doesn't seem right that a cop can make up a number out of mid air. Sorry for the long story...I'm bummed.
Sorry to hear that. A couple of years ago, i got pulled over and the cop said I was doing 65 in a 45 zone. My V1 never went off but he tried to stick the ticket to me. I then requested to see the radar reading, well the cop made a 1/2 a dozen reasons on why I can't see it. Anyways he checked my license out and we kind of chatted a bit, we started to talk about the BMW that I was driving and how his brother always wanted one. blah blah ...He finally let me go, as he was pulling away I kind of joked and said "you never had me on radar, did you?", he just laughed.

I got a speeding ticket last year doing 93 in a 75 mph highway. Below is what I wrote the magistrate court, they agreed and had me pay about $85 fine, no points, no history. I guess sometimes they do understand.

October 17, 2008

Magistrate Court of New Mexico:

On the night of September 30th, 2008 at approximately 8:20 PM the New Mexico State Police pulled me over for alleged speeding. I was traveling North on I25 approximately 20 miles south of Santa Fe. At the time of the alleged violation I was traveling with 4 or 5 other vehicles. The approaching officer traveling south on I25 turned on her spot light at my side of travel. She then made a U-turn across the median in pursuit and I was the one that was pulled over. I asked why I was singled out of five other vehicles, if I was speeding then the other four vehicles were also speeding. Her response was that she radioed ahead to other officers and the other vehicles will be pulled over as well. I believe that she pulled me over because my vehicle (wife?s car) a minivan was easier to pick out. She never proved my speeding violation by showing me the actual reading. Other vehicles could have been speeding because it was already dark and hard to actually see who was really speeding.

I proceeded traveling North toward Santa Fe to the 599 by pass to Taos. I traveled almost 20 miles from where I was pulled over to the 599 exit and did not observe any other vehicles pulled over, as I suspected. That was the reason that I chose a court date then pleads guilty on the spot. At this moment it is really difficult for me to get off work and travel to Santa Fe for a court date. I like to plead guilty to the traffic violation. I beg the court for mercy by allowing me to pay the monetary fine and not assessing any point penalty against my driver?s license or driving record. I have not committed any traffic violation for almost 4 years.

I thank the court for its consideration; please send any correspondence to the address below.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

I can a few suggestions since I am in the field. First and foremost, it does not matter how far you are the beam on the radar goes to infinity. I have clocked cars quite a distance away as long they are in my beam which has a pretty wide range. He probably clocked you before you even saw him. I think you said he came over the hill. Well, as soon as he crested that hill, if his radar was on, it was clocked your speed at that time.

Trying to fight tickets, forget about it. 99.9% of the time officers win in court, this is part of our job and have training on it. Officers have given evidence millions of times and it just gets better every time. Some states have a bit different policy/process/procedure. But the best advise I can give is either plead guilty to a lesser fine/charge where they are no points involved and a lesser $$ fine or get a traffic lawyer. Just depends how much you want to spend on a lawyer. At the same time, if you were caught in the small town, the officer is probably well liked and has been on for long time, so he has experience. Thats my two cents but anything can happen. Everytime I go to court just like any other officer, we prepare all our upcoming case and make sure we have all our evidence in row. And for speeding, it does not take a rocket scientist to catch someone for speeding and give them a ticket. Just think about what happen, can i really fight this, if so, what hard evidence do I have.

let me know if you have any questions as there was a way for you to get out of this ticket, I would tell you but unfortunately there is not a clear precise way.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport, Alpine White, 2006, Australian
Model Year: 2005

Look! Here's your problem. You weren't driving too fast ... you were driving too slow.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/d6c94c14-...76-e576e0aaa617

If you go to court, don't lie about it .... you'll end up going to jail ... like this Australian judge did ...

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...028-952,00.html

Good luck.