E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SPEEDING - Got a ticket for 68 in a 30

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Old 03-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver/Grey E60

Relax. I never meant to come off as "better than" anyone. I've got speeding tickets, no seat belt tickets, and rolling a stop sign ticket. All I'm saying is that I just paid the fine or went to traffic school. I didn't go around asking people how to trick the system or what legal loop hole I could find to get off.

Perhaps speeding is different when you get older... sometimes you have precious items in the car like a child or wife. My apologies if anyone took my comment as condescending.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

I am not licensed to practice law in the peoples republic of Massachusetts, however, let me offer a few ideas for the OP:

First, not even a cheesy lawyer is going to touch this for $150.00 per hour.
Second, Mass motor vehicle case law has a presumption that a law enforcement officer is a recognized expert in the area of traffic enforcement, and thus can indeed, pull a number out of the air unless there is sufficient evidentiary reasons to exclude - from your post, you have none.
Third, you will get killed in a trial, because a decent prosecutor is going to get your priors admitted, and even though it is highly prejudicial, it is going to be used against you.
Fourth, Hire a decent lawyer, around $300.00 hour, and get him to make a deal with the prosecutor
Fifth, take a state sponsored driver safety class. Not only will this reduce points, but it also shows a judge that you are taking the necessary steps to change your ways.

Good luck.

BTW, even though most of us think we have lightning reflexes, a vehicle traveling at 60 miles per hour has a forward velocity of more than 90 feet per second. If you think about how fast your reflexes are (humans tend to be in the .75 to 1.5 range in vehicles) you are going to travel 90 feet before you even think to start to hit the brake. Another .5 seconds, or 45 feet goes before you apply pressure to the brake and then wrap the wet roads into the equation and you are looking at more than 450 feet to come to a complete stop. I can bend the laws of man, but not physics...
Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

just pay for it. no points as long as ur license is in NY. I had tickets in NJ and they do not show up. Ontario on the other hand....is a different story.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='832476' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:38 AM
just pay for it. no points as long as ur license is in NY. I had tickets in NJ and they do not show up. Ontario on the other hand....is a different story.
this is not a safe logic. i still think my way is safest.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

You are charged with 38 mph over the limit. You argued with the cop. You absolutely need a good, local lawyer.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='832271' date='Mar 31 2009, 10:23 PM
+1 amen.

The guy posting is a 26 year old man who made a mistake and got caught for it. Dont sit here and act like you have never done anything wrong. When we come here and post we arent looking for the moral police to give us a write up on how stupid we are, and why we shouldn't get any help. I have said this before in post when people ask for help and people come to degrade and put people or their ideas down. For example i asked how to pop out the covers in the rear bumper to put the reflectors in and i have stupid people posting i think they look like sh1t. Well thats great i dont care what you think if my topic was asking for your opinion then it would be warranted. I was simply asking for install help/directions. Not what you think about the look or style.

If you can answer with legal help or suggestions please do so. We are supposed to be a "community" here to help one another not put people down or act like we are better and degrade people.
My baby's all growns up!!! I love her
Old 04-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='832476' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:38 AM

*****disclaimer*****
This is just my OPINION. I am in no way a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. Use this information at your own risk. YMMV.

Meh, yes and no. I travel quite a bit, and have gotten MANY out-of-state tickets. To my understanding, PA does report tickets to NY. Ohio? No. Indiana? No. I know those two for sure. In OH, I got a ticket for 94 in a 65 on a interstate near Columbus at like 9PM. I was a little faster than the flow of traffic, but not excessively, believe it or not. I think the cop was being nice, I was clearly over 100, but he wrote me for 29 over. I presented well, was respectful, and he gave me a $140 fine. Said I had 10 days to mail it in or they would come after me in NY. That was in 2000/2001. The IN tickets (there have been several), have been in the past couple years. The worst was 88 in a 70 at 2AM on the interstate with no traffic around anywhere. I had been driving with my high beams on for literally over an hour. It cost me $138.50.

However, I think that if I got a ticket that was serious enough to REQUIRE a court appearance, I would seriously consider getting a lawyer, regardless of points or not. Exceeding the posted limit by more than double means bad things, I'm sure. It's most likely a criminal charge (misdemeanor, I'm sure), and I personally think you should be thankful that the cop did not haul you down to the clink for having out of state plates and an out of state license (thus considering you a flight risk). Why do I think that? A friend moved back here after living in AZ for several years. He had been back like 3 or 4 days when he got pulled over for speeding. His AZ registration was expired, and he had an out of state license, and no proof of his current, LOCAL address. The cops hauled him in and made his GF come post $500 bail to get him out. They considered him a flight risk. When he went to court, it was all tossed, and she got a check from the town for the refund of the bail money. Rather than cash it, she framed it, as it says what it is for inthe memo field. He is SO screwed. LOL!!

Either way, no preaching from me. I've done my fair share of dumb things in the past. It's a phase. You grow out of it. The best you can hope for is that you are CAREFUL, pick proper locations, and do not hurt yourself or others in any of your stunts.

I hope everything works out for you. Please do post up what it is you end up doing, and what the outcome is.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tblck543' post='831980' date='Mar 31 2009, 04:44 PM
Now the shady part, the court system does sometimes forget to send you your discovery packet and you are legitamitely off the hook and wont have to lie or feel morally wrong after you win the case(this has happened to me) but if they do send it to you, just throw it away, toss it, burn it, give it to your dog, shred it whatever....and the day of your court case go before the judge and explain that you never received your discovery and therefore have no way to fairly represent yourself. The judge will ask you to swear or sign an affidavit saying you really never received discovery and by law he has to dismiss the case.
what if they mailed certified return receipt?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by unknown' post='832938' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:17 PM
what if they mailed certified return receipt?
They never have and they never will, theyre cheap. Its the court system

Quick Reply: SPEEDING - Got a ticket for 68 in a 30