E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SPEEDING - Got a ticket for 68 in a 30

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='831744' date='Mar 31 2009, 09:28 AM
I got a ticket a few years ago in a small town in my e46, and I didn't want to drive back there to deal with it. It was a 39 in a 25, which carried an extra fine for being a special enforcement zone. Anyway, had I paid the fine, it would have been $167 + court costs + points on my license = increased insurance. For $50 an attorney got it busted down to a non-moving violation for which I paid a $196 fine and never had to drive all the way back to podunk. Had I chosen to fight it in court, I would have had to pay the attorney $300 + court costs, and I probably would have lost. I was guilty afterall, and the cop even showed me the readout on his radar gun. Even if I had won, I would have been out more money + the drive/time. I'll take my method any day.
Where'd you get a $50 attorney? That's cheap, I thought they're expensive
Old 03-31-2009, 01:01 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='831956' date='Mar 31 2009, 08:15 PM
Before you jump on the band wagon of it being dangerous you should be aware that there are a number of roads in every city that COULD have an increased speed limit but the local city chooses to keep the speed limit low simply because people will be tempted to speed. Thus the road becomes a revenue stream.

A few years ago, Portland had the opportunity to increase the speed limit on the "freeways" from 50 to 55 and 55 to 60, but they choose to keep the limits as is - mostly because people tend to speed so it's a great trap.

I accept that and if caught doing 50 in a 40, I wouldn't comment.

But seriously, 30 limit on a road that is safe to do 70, they don't even do that in the UK and our goverment screws the car driver like no other.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Arrange a meeting with the prosecuting attorney. They will usually knock it down depending on how booked up they are. The PA does not want to sit through a court proceeding as that will take up too much of their time. Many also handle real crimes as well and are lenient when trying to avoid the court time.

It worked for my daughter where she plead not guilty and got a court date. We met with the PA and got it reduced to non-moving brake tag. We paid the fine and the idiot clerk of court reimbursed her the full amount as a bond release by mistake.

Attorneys create the same problem for the PA that's why they bow down quickly.

Bottom line is fight it. This is more a money making deal than it is about safety.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by KCooke82' post='831870' date='Mar 31 2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the responses...
It has of course been a learning lesson. To my defense, the road was dry and in a low density area - people average 45-50 on it anyway. If anyone was coming out of a driveway, I would have seen them long before they turned on the road because the houses are set back. With the speed limit at 30, the raod is cash cow in this recession...
When I did approach 70, the cop was too far away for him to even see me and determine my speed. It all happened so fast that at best, he knew I was speeding. I was already slowing down on my own when I saw the headlights and decided to lay on the break. My point is that he didn't have me clocked at 68, meanwhile that is what's on my ticket. I realize I don't have much of a chance, but it still doesn't seem right.
My thinking is to try and negotiate outside of court as some have suggested. In any event, I will be consulting a lawyer.
Kcooke, I don't know what it's like where you are at, but here in south florida, there are tons of lawyers that do nothing but traffic defense. Like some of the other posters stated, it costs between $75 and $150. I was in an accident a couple years ago where as I was at fault. I honestly never saw the guy while pulling out of a gas station... pulled out in front of him and he broad-sided me. I never admitted guilt, but I did suggest that I also didn't think the other driver was at fault either. I got a ticket.

To make a long story short... I phoned the "Ticket Clinic". One phone call, provided them with the ticket number and case number, paid $150 over the phone via credit card. That was it, never spoke to anyone again. Got a letter about 6-8 weeks later stating that ticket had been thrown out and case was closed. My insurance still went up... but I protected myself again further frivolous law suits because I was no longer considered to be "at fault" by the court.

For a simple speeding ticket, I think the cost is $80. I've used them for that too. Hope this helps, and good luck.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

i actually just went to court yesterday because i got a speeding ticket in the hwy about 3 months ago (going 85)- i fought it mainly because i was hoping the cop wouldn't show up, but he did! in the past i've been lucky where they haven't showed up and my tickets have gotten dismissed. I guess now they are making them go because as we all know CA is broke!!
Anyway, the cops come really well prepared defending their case of why they issued you a ticket or citation. I asked him a few questions but even before it was my turn to argue my ticket i knew i was sol.
My advise is if you have the time to go to court and hope he doesn't show up then go for it, otherwise pay the fine, go to traffic school and move on. I know it sucks but it is what it is bro...

PS: i only noticed a tiny difference at higher speeds (80 plus) with my charcoal fileter off, but since i want to be off the radar i put it back in
Old 03-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='831982' date='Mar 31 2009, 03:50 PM
Where'd you get a $50 attorney? That's cheap, I thought they're expensive
Well, it was almost four years ago, and it was a small town guy who specialized in traffic law. I would tend to believe the town generated a lot of revenue from this stretch of road where the speed limit suddenly dropped from 40 to 25 for about a mile or so. I think the attorney just took phone calls, got copies of all the tickets that week, and walked over to the courthouse to crank through them. The town gets their revenue, the lawyer gets $50 for five minutes work (X who knows how many tickets), and I'm out about $250 (fine + attorney) w/o points or extra insurance charges. I made a mistake, got busted, and this was the cheapest and lowest hassle way to correct it. You can find this type of attorney at something like trafficlaw.com or ticket.com or check the yellow pages.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='831996' date='Mar 31 2009, 05:02 PM
Kcooke, I don't know what it's like where you are at, but here in south florida, there are tons of lawyers that do nothing but traffic defense. Like some of the other posters stated, it costs between $75 and $150. I was in an accident a couple years ago where as I was at fault. I honestly never saw the guy while pulling out of a gas station... pulled out in front of him and he broad-sided me. I never admitted guilt, but I did suggest that I also didn't think the other driver was at fault either. I got a ticket.

To make a long story short... I phoned the "Ticket Clinic". One phone call, provided them with the ticket number and case number, paid $150 over the phone via credit card. That was it, never spoke to anyone again. Got a letter about 6-8 weeks later stating that ticket had been thrown out and case was closed. My insurance still went up... but I protected myself again further frivolous law suits because I was no longer considered to be "at fault" by the court.

For a simple speeding ticket, I think the cost is $80. I've used them for that too. Hope this helps, and good luck.
Dude what is tha crap at the bottom of your posts, the US is an empire? WTF ?

I come to the forum to talk cars, politics don't belong...
Old 03-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by tblck543' post='831980' date='Mar 31 2009, 01:44 PM
Trust me it works, my friend has done it, ive done and 3 of my other friends have done it and we all won our cases. Good luck.
Ah... King County - gotta love the ineptness. Kitsap is so much better...
Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by KAF' post='831992' date='Mar 31 2009, 02:01 PM
But seriously, 30 limit on a road that is safe to do 70, they don't even do that in the UK and our goverment screws the car driver like no other.
Ok, I must not have explained what I meant clearly. The road could probably be safely driven at 45 (there are roads here that I can't even begin to drive 30 on that are limited at 45). That brings the speed from 70-30=40 mph to 70-45=25 mph. 25 over the the limit would bring less of a fine - thus less money for the local LEO. The city/county has no intention in raising the limit if it means less funding!

Yes, I'm well aware the UK screws the drivers there. The airports are also completely screwed up too - I pay extra to avoid landing in the UK when entering the EU. ;) haha.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='831750' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:32 AM
Let me get this straight:

1. You felt he lied.
2. But you told a little fib.
3. You felt he pulled a number out of the air. Fair?
4. He felt you pulled a number out of the air? Fair?

Man up. You were speeding. You pay the price.

You asked for advice: Don't fly so fast. At night! Wet road!

You are lucky that you did not run into someone pulling out of a driveway. Wrecking a car, hurting yourself, maiming or killing someone just because you wanted to speed leaves a lasting impression on a bunch of people.

Next time, go to race track. That is why we have them.

a. pay fine and court costs.
b. admit mistake.
c. pay increased insurance premiums for next x years.
d. accept consequences.
e. take driving classes for speeders.
f. and so forth.
Dont listen to any of this.

They will make a deal with you, they always do. The government (state and national) always find a way to take your money and im sure he had a few more tickets on his quota. Fight, fight, fight!!!

Quick Reply: SPEEDING - Got a ticket for 68 in a 30