E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um. No comment.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

Originally Posted by black550_m5sport
Um. No comment.
I'm sure in your V8, you perhaps have graced no more than 70MPH on the motorway / freeway!! By the way what is the speed limit on the freeway's over the pond? Or is that dependent on state?

You should bring your 550i over to it's homeland Germany, find some de-restricted parts of the Autobahnen and unleash some of those horses that are tucked up in bed in your engine bay!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Percy_991
I'm sure in your V8, you perhaps have graced to 70MPH on the motorway / freeway. By the way what is the speed limit on the freeway's over the pond? Or is that dependent on state?

You should bring your 550i over to it's homeland Germany, find some de-restricted parts of the Autobahnen and unleash some of those horses that are tucked up in bed in your engine bay!

In the U.S. some of our freeways have 75mph as the posted speed limit (which means most will do 85-90 when no one's looking).

Yes - I need to bring the Bimmer back home to let it roam free on the Autobahn!

Like other posers I mean posters, I remember getting numerous speeding tickets in my first Bimmer - I just didn't realize how fast I was going. However, "the MAN" did! The things are so planted and quiet inside - it's very deceiving.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

Originally Posted by black550_m5sport
However, "the MAN" did! The things are so planted and quiet inside - it's very deceiving.
Indeed. I had the pleasure of having an X6M for 4 months and the speed of that beast is very deceiving when you are sat in the cock-pit, erm I mean drivers seat!

But, yes...bring your V8 over to Germany, you know it makes sense!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Members

I (could have taken) a test drive in the car before I bought it down the toll road north of Dallas at around 135mph.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aharper
I (could have taken) a test drive in the car before I bought it down the toll road north of Dallas at around 135mph.
There's an idea for a separate/sub thread ... "what's the fastest you've ever driven a rental or test-drive?"

For me it was a test drive of an RS6 Avant, and it was 168mph (ran out of unrestricted Autobahn at this point).
Old 04-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i
There's an idea for a separate/sub thread ... "what's the fastest you've ever driven a rental or test-drive?"

For me it was a test drive of an RS6 Avant, and it was 168mph (ran out of unrestricted Autobahn at this point).
Which you you prefer the RS6 Avant or the E61 M5?

I bet you see a few Porkers on the old Bundesautobahn's! I admire the German mentality when it comes to their driving. Their lane discipline and courtesy is excellent, unlike back here in England where you will always get the 70MPH lane-hogger's in the fast lane. One thing I did pick up in Germany was indicating when the person in-front wont budge. Sometimes this works, but sometimes it does not! You miss the sunny UK?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i

I took a rental off a 2' drop in a parking garage by accident one time... hard enough that the trunk popped open!! Scared me to death, not sure how or why, maybe my knee hit a button or something. I also dented a bumper one time pulling in too fast meeting someone for dinner. I had to take the rental to a friend's house, take out the wheel liner and use a mallet to push the bumper back out. I really haven't been that good to rentals. Fastest?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 AM
New Members

I may have been going 115 on an onramp or two this past weekend. Plenty more power but had to break to merge on the freeway. No traffic can get on/off for about 3/4mile so if I screwed up I'd only hurt myself and my car.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

In Los Angeles, we regularly do 120+. It isn't as if we are reckless - it's just when you have so few people in such a large space, and frankly so little to look at - you just organically work your way up to those speeds.

Okay done dreaming....

Since I moved to LA a year ago I have literally not been able to exceed 70mph. It's insane, the traffic is unlike anything, and I've driven in many countries for work. There are parts of the 101 that I would compare to Mumbai (minus the wild dogs).

Quick Reply: Speed