E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Spark plug change questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

"Makes sure when you reconnect your coils that the connectors are pushed all the way until there is no gap."

That's a good suggestion. After I replaced my spark plugs, I started the engine and everything sounded smooth. About 30 minutes laters when I started the car, I got cylinder 3 misfired. I said what the f@#k and got nervous for a second... I then replaced the new coil with my old coil and everything was back to normal. Looks like I might put the new coil back this weekend and find out...

Originally Posted by ironb
I just replaced my plugs and coils at 63,000 miles and the old plugs looked good. getting to the back plugs near the firewall was tough but not impossible. Makes sure when you reconnect your coils that the connectors are pushed all the way until there is no gap.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

1. I've only changed the spark plugs at 70k and no other parts. I went with NGK ILZFR6D11(purchased from O'Rileys) and my originals were Bosch. The plug closest to the passenger side is a bit of struggle to pull out compared to the other ones b/c of the limited room to work with. I6 seems much easier compared to the V8 engine luckily for us.

2. Per the 'Old school Maintenance schedule' (PDF that is floating around the web), the Bosch and Bosch BMW genuine parts are indeed different. I'm no expert and cannot comment on it. However, it appears that many have used the regular Bosch or NGK w/o any issues from what I have read.

Off subject - read that you are running Conti DWS. Where did you get them from? Do they carry it in socal tire shops or did you go through Tirerack? And have you experienced any significant reduced performance as these are All-season (Snow/Wet) tires? I guess which set of tires did you run before the DWS for comparison? I'm going to be replacing my Hankook V12s in the near future and wanted to get your take. The treadwear on the DWS seems very promising and that's why I am interested. I'm not an aggressive driver and willing to lose some performance/traction for extended treadwear.

Thanks,
Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by txag_530i
I bought my NGK plugs at O'Reilly Auto. They were pre-gapped.

I also bought a spark plug tool made by Gearwrench from Advanced Auto for about $10. I wanted the socket to be connected to the extension because it is a long way down to the spark plug from the top of the head. Alternatively, you can wrap tape around the 5/8" socket and extension.

Gearwrench 80546

IMHO $40 in preventative maintenance is well worth the time and effort.

So this 5/8 is the same 14mm needed to change the spark plugs

Was it thin enough

I heard some have problems because some sockets are too thick

thanx
Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by leese8080
1. I've only changed the spark plugs at 70k and no other parts. I went with NGK ILZFR6D11(purchased from O'Rileys) and my originals were Bosch. The plug closest to the passenger side is a bit of struggle to pull out compared to the other ones b/c of the limited room to work with. I6 seems much easier compared to the V8 engine luckily for us.

2. Per the 'Old school Maintenance schedule' (PDF that is floating around the web), the Bosch and Bosch BMW genuine parts are indeed different. I'm no expert and cannot comment on it. However, it appears that many have used the regular Bosch or NGK w/o any issues from what I have read.

Off subject - read that you are running Conti DWS. Where did you get them from? Do they carry it in socal tire shops or did you go through Tirerack? And have you experienced any significant reduced performance as these are All-season (Snow/Wet) tires? I guess which set of tires did you run before the DWS for comparison? I'm going to be replacing my Hankook V12s in the near future and wanted to get your take. The treadwear on the DWS seems very promising and that's why I am interested. I'm not an aggressive driver and willing to lose some performance/traction for extended treadwear.

Thanks,
Yeah, I'm trying to find out if and what's the difference between both Bosch plugs.

I'm not an aggressive driver as well and I like them. I feel comfortable passing other cars on curvy on and off ramps. Before the DWS I was running on stock 17" rims with the stock Continental Contitouring tires. I bought them (DWS) from here:

Tire Central5132 Walnut Grove Ave
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 698-1182