E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Spare wheel & Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hit a pothole and cracked/bent a rim and destroyed the runflat tire (now have PS2). I could not drive a mile, rim was on the ground. I was far from anything, in the mountains of California, drove 400 miles on donut spare. The donut worked fine, I stayed below 65mph. The spare looked like the original rim/tire on my 1970 1600. After 400 miles it looked good as new, back in the trunk. I would highly recommend the spare.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the responses everyone. I checked out the price of a emergency spare and its approx $220 in Europe. That's still cheaper than getting stranded in the rain at midnight with a blown run-flat.

I bank on the fun-flats giving me some added blow-out protection which is why I stay wtih them even though the ride quality is compromised.

I once had high speed blow out on a standard front tyre and rolled the car several times. very nearly killing me. Following that any extra protection I can build into the tyres is good for me and my familly.

I read on another forum about a guy with an M5 (on standard tyres) in Hungary who had a blow-out and rolled off the freeway. Luckilly his familly were all OK but the car was totalled. Here is the link if you don't mind seeing pics of a very nice white M5 sportwagen totalled, but with sruprisinly little damage considering the speed (110 MPH). Notice the curtain air bag deployments

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e6...m5-touring.html
Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by higher' post='1073767' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I checked out the price of a emergency spare and its approx $220 in Europe. That's still cheaper than getting stranded in the rain at midnight with a blown run-flat.

I bank on the fun-flats giving me some added blow-out protection which is why I stay wtih them even though the ride quality is compromised.

I once had high speed blow out on a standard front tyre and rolled the car several times. very nearly killing me. Following that any extra protection I can build into the tyres is good for me and my familly.

I read on another forum about a guy with an M5 (on standard tyres) in Hungary who had a blow-out and rolled off the freeway. Luckilly his familly were all OK but the car was totalled. Here is the link if you don't mind seeing pics of a very nice white M5 sportwagen totalled, but with sruprisinly little damage considering the speed (110 MPH). Notice the curtain air bag deployments

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e6...m5-touring.html
A quick update. I bought the emergency wheel. $220. It comes with the wheel brace, jack etc. Just wheel and tyre is $170

On the E61 you have to pull up the carpet covering the wheel bay exposing the metal wheel-well and then the tyre fits in there. Very easy to remove carpet.

The carpet for the E61 has fins to take a plastic divider, which stops the wheel fitting into the well with the carpet in place. The fins can be hammered out flat to fit the emergency wheel, or you can buy a seperate carpet for $65, which is not really required unless you want a nice finish. Agan, not required because no-one see's the areas beneath the trunk floor section. The E60 just takes the wheel without removal or retrofit of the carpet.

For you guys in the US you get the emergency wheel as standard anyway, but for European owners, this is my experience.

I have to say I feel a lot more secure knowing that the emergency wheel is in the trunk, particularly with the holiday season upon us.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Members

Hi All,
What is the tyre pressure for the space saver.Can't find it in the manual.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Spare wheel & Run Flats-dsc_0049.jpg  
Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 White 530xi

I recently filled the pressure on my spare, and I believe the recommended tire pressure for the spare was listed on the tire itself, it seemed high but I did as the tire recommended. Chris