E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Spare wheel & Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do BMW sell a space saver wheel and tyre for the E60 / E61 ?

Even though the cars are mostly fitted with run-flat tyres, it occured to me that if I get puncture when 100 miles or more from home, I am pretty screwed because I cant simply change to the spare wheel and get myself home.

The FFT tyres seem to dissintegrate after 20 miles driving on them flat, which mean they are next to useless in the event of a puncture. Which would mean a recovery truck.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Yes. BMW sells a compact spare and a jack. Question is, do you have space underneath your trunk/boot floor to store the compact spare and jack?

Retrofit Emergency Wheel
Old 12-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Depends on the location of the OP. All E60's in the US come with the space-saver spare, even those with run-flat tires... In Europe and other areas, the space-saver spare can be purchased. As I understand it, all E60's have the well in the trunk for the spare.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vkhong' post='1072710' date='Dec 13 2009, 01:23 AM
Yes. BMW sells a compact spare and a jack. Question is, do you have space underneath your trunk/boot floor to store the compact spare and jack?
Why not? Mine has RFTs and despite that I have a full-size spare in the trunk/boot floor. I don't know why it has, perhaps it's a rule in Germany that you need a spare (anyone know?). It fits though, so a space-saver would probably fit two of 'em in there.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1072864' date='Dec 13 2009, 03:45 PM
Why not? Mine has RFTs and despite that I have a full-size spare in the trunk/boot floor. I don't know why it has, perhaps it's a rule in Germany that you need a spare (anyone know?). It fits though, so a space-saver would probably fit two of 'em in there.
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this forum.I am absolutely new to the BMW family & will be picking up my brand new BMW 530d Highline Space Grey with Natural Brown interiors tommorow.I'm really exited & looking forward to the car.
My biggest fear is the Runflat Tyres fitted on to the 18 inch alloys getting punctured/damaged.I live in New Delhi where the roads are generally ok however outside the city is a different ballgame altogether.I have bought a tyre inflator from Michelin & was wondering if I do lose pressure on the tyre can I extend the driving range by inflating the tyre or am I still limited to the 150 Km range.
Will it be prudent at this stage to buy a space saver tyre kit which is available with BMW India for roughly 700 US dollars.

Cheers
Old 12-13-2009, 04:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sandeepm777' post='1072880' date='Dec 13 2009, 07:48 AM
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this forum.I am absolutely new to the BMW family & will be picking up my brand new BMW 530d Highline Space Grey with Natural Brown interiors tommorow.I'm really exited & looking forward to the car.
My biggest fear is the Runflat Tyres fitted on to the 18 inch alloys getting punctured/damaged.I live in New Delhi where the roads are generally ok however outside the city is a different ballgame altogether.I have bought a tyre inflator from Michelin & was wondering if I do lose pressure on the tyre can I extend the driving range by inflating the tyre or am I still limited to the 150 Km range.
Will it be prudent at this stage to buy a space saver tyre kit which is available with BMW India for roughly 700 US dollars.

Cheers
That is my problem exactly. There is not much driving range on a deflated run-flat. Pumping it up with a tyre inflator won't do much good because it will still have a puncture.

I think you are going to need a space-saver to give absolute security. For me the main advantage of a run-flat is to lessen the chances of a blow-out at speed. Otherwise they have no advantages over a standard non run-flat tyre.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:25 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by higher' post='1072888' date='Dec 13 2009, 01:52 PM
That is my problem exactly. There is not much driving range on a deflated run-flat. Pumping it up with a tyre inflator won't do much good because it will still have a puncture.

I think you are going to need a space-saver to give absolute security. For me the main advantage of a run-flat is to lessen the chances of a blow-out at speed. Otherwise they have no advantages over a standard non run-flat tyre.
I dont believe that run-flats reduce your chances of a blow out, they just allow you to carry on should you have a puncture.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

Founjd this thread talking about spare wheel.

The part number is 36 11 0 308 889 and includes spare wheel, jack and wheel brace. Cost back on 2004 was (160 UK Pounds). Probably add 30% to that cost now.

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=17763
Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

RFTs suck!!!!!!! :thumbsdown:
Old 12-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1072896' date='Dec 13 2009, 09:25 AM
I dont believe that run-flats reduce your chances of a blow out, they just allow you to carry on should you have a puncture.
If you were to have a severe tire damage event at high speed, the runflat will be the safer tire since it won't "blow-out" or go flat.
A normal tire could possibly blow out causing the driver to lose some control. This is a more dangerous scenario.

That said, I hate the runflats so much I switched them out for MIchelin Pilot PS2. If I get a blow-out.... oh well.

Quick Reply: Spare wheel & Run Flats