E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Spare Tire & Run-Flats

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Smile

So after driving my new 2004 545i for few days I noticed there is no spare tire in the trunk. I called the BMW dealer where I bought the car and asked them for the spare and the jack. I was told that 545i?s with Run-Flats ship from BMW with no spare. What happens if the tire gets damaged badly and I cannot drive it the 80 Km as specified in the spec? You call a tow-truck and what if you have more than one person in the car? We all squeeze in the tow truck for the nearest repair shop? That is stupid of BMW?..
Now I?m out to buy a spare and a jack.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='549462' date='Mar 23 2008, 11:27 AM
So after driving my new 2004 545i for few days I noticed there is no spare tire in the trunk. I called the BMW dealer where I bought the car and asked them for the spare and the jack. I was told that 545i?s with Run-Flats ship from BMW with no spare. What happens if the tire gets damaged badly and I cannot drive it the 80 Km as specified in the spec? You call a tow-truck and what if you have more than one person in the car? We all squeeze in the tow truck for the nearest repair shop? That is stupid of BMW?..
No clue but I have had a few severely damaged run flat tires but they were always able to be driven on. I know that I am probably in the minority here but I wish that I had them on my new 550.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='549462' date='Mar 23 2008, 03:27 PM
That is stupid of BMW?..
Clearly a very silly idea. What must have they been thinking ??! Whoever heard of a "Run flat tyre" - Do they really think we will fall for such a hare-brained idea. And I thought the Germans were a clever bunch.
I mean just imagine, you are driving home late on a cold night (it might even be raining), and you happen to get a puncture. The first thing you would want to do is get out of the car, jack the car up, strain oneself undoing the bolts, and then lifting the tyre out of the boot.
I mean who in their right mind, would want to just drive on and get home (or to the nearest garage) quickly and safely, and then worry about the problem the next day. The old adage is "Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today".
Old 03-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Members

are there certain years they didnt include the spare tire? mines an 05 and it has a spare along with the run flats...
Old 03-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

But did you have a spare? Or is the dealer BULL SH...TING me?

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='549470' date='Mar 23 2008, 11:40 AM
No clue but I have had a few severely damaged run flat tires but they were always able to be driven on. I know that I am probably in the minority here but I wish that I had them on my new 550.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

Very funny , what if your tire gets slashed from the side? Or the tire/rim gets damaged badly which happened to me before. Is the run-flat going to drive you to the nearest station then? The idea of having a spare not for you to change it on a raining night, it's there for the tow-truck guy to put it on when you call for help

Originally Posted by Gudge' post='549495' date='Mar 23 2008, 12:29 PM
Clearly a very silly idea. What must have they been thinking ??! Whoever heard of a "Run flat tyre" - Do they really think we will fall for such a hare-brained idea. And I thought the Germans were a clever bunch.
I mean just imagine, you are driving home late on a cold night (it might even be raining), and you happen to get a puncture. The first thing you would want to do is get out of the car, jack the car up, strain oneself undoing the bolts, and then lifting the tyre out of the boot.
I mean who in their right mind, would want to just drive on and get home (or to the nearest garage) quickly and safely, and then worry about the problem the next day. The old adage is "Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today".
Old 03-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='549502' date='Mar 23 2008, 11:44 AM
it has it. shit was stuck when i needed it but it was there. damn bolt that tightens it to the car was cross threaded so i was still stuck on the side of the road when my tire shreded from the inside.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='549502' date='Mar 23 2008, 05:44 PM
Not necessarily. When you buy a new E60/E61 you can opt for a spare wheel to be mounted in the trunk for a very small fee.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Thanks.

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='549522' date='Mar 23 2008, 01:14 PM
Not necessarily. When you buy a new E60/E61 you can opt for a spare wheel to be mounted in the trunk for a very small fee.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

US cars came with spares. I'm not sure if Canada does or not. European cars did not come with spares if you had the run flats.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire & Run-Flats